Amber/GDR2 will be released as one update next week!

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The Amber update for Nokia Lumia WP8s will be released next week!

Previously Windows Phone OS updates and Firmware updates from OEMs were released separately. But now they are pushed together as one update. So rather than delivering two updates in close succession, Nokia will be offering them together, and start pushing the update during August.

Nokia Lumia Amber update will contain GDR2 in it. Amber will be available to the entire Lumia Windows Phone 8 product portfolio, but some features will not be available to all devices.
The software update availability will vary depending on phone model, region, and network service provider or carrier.

des920

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thats good for you, however i m pretty sure there are people who will like to know that the official release is around the corner.

Also, if you use the method to get the update tho nokia care suite you will lose all your data, so if you re doing it make sure you backup all your files, settings however will be lost.

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Thats good for you, however i m pretty sure there are people who will like to know that the official release is around the corner.

Also, if you use the method to get the update tho nokia care suite you will lose all your data, so if you re doing it make sure you backup all your files, settings however will be lost.

How do you know it will release next week? For ATT as well?

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The Amber update for Nokia Lumia WP8s will be released next week!Previously Windows Phone OS updates and Firmware updates from OEMs were released separately. But now they are pushed together as one update. So rather than delivering two updates in close succession, Nokia will be offering them together, and start pushing the update during August.Nokia Lumia Amber update will contain GDR2 in it. Amber will be available to the entire Lumia Windows Phone 8 product portfolio, but some features will not be available to all devices.The software update availability will vary depending on phone model, region, and network service provider or carrier.
Source?

KrightonX

May 22, 2013
Visit site
B.S. you can forget Verizon releasing anything that resembles an update. They wouldn't release the cure for cancer on time , out of fear they'd somehow make a dollar less.

Oh and P.S. Facebook as a source is the same thing as Myspace being a source. They're both about as reputable as George W. Bush.

vane0326

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
B.S. you can forget Verizon releasing anything that resembles an update. They wouldn't release the cure for cancer on time , out of fear they'd somehow make a dollar less.

Oh and P.S. Facebook as a source is the same thing as Myspace being a source. They're both about as reputable as George W. Bush.

They are so arrogant with their superior network, so they don't feel the need to get any new flagship phones OR don't feel any urgency to put out a new updates. I want to be able to get a new flagship phone and a year later be able to update to a new phone. If I stick with Verizon I'm always going to be 6 months or a year behind of technology.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually Verizon's real problem is CDMA vs GSM. Other than Sprint and Verizon the rest of the world uses GSM. I believe CDMA is superior, but no one else bothered to update. As a result, GSM phones are made first which means that its between at&t and T-Mobile. I suspect once Verizon turns on VOLTE (Voice Over LTE), this could change. They plan to not have phones with CDMA radios. This not only makes the phone cheaper, but its supposed to make the network cheaper to maintain. Will we see savings? Hell no, but their profits will sure go up. I think Sprint plans to do the same thing, but their LTE network is so behind schedule I wouldn't think it would happen for another year or two at least.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Actually Verizon's real problem is CDMA vs GSM. Other than Sprint and Verizon the rest of the world uses GSM. I believe CDMA is superior, but no one else bothered to update. As a result, GSM phones are made first which means that its between at&t and T-Mobile. I suspect once Verizon turns on VOLTE (Voice Over LTE), this could change. They plan to not have phones with CDMA radios. This not only makes the phone cheaper, but its supposed to make the network cheaper to maintain. Will we see savings? Hell no, but their profits will sure go up. I think Sprint plans to do the same thing, but their LTE network is so behind schedule I wouldn't think it would happen for another year or two at least.

Close. China has a lot of WCDMA.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Close. China has a lot of WCDMA.
India too.

W-CDMA is just another name for UMTS / HSPA (3G GSM). Generally, the world uses GSM based technologies, with a few exceptions being the US 3G (and below) networks of Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, US Cellular and a few others, as well as a few operators in Asia. China Mobile (1bn+ users) uses a cousin of US CDMA, called TD-SCDMA. I believe India is a GSM country.

As for 4G LTE networks, most of the world will be using FD-LTE (including T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T in the US). Softbank (Japan) and China Mobile are building TD-LTE Networks, and Sprint is building a hybrid network with their Nextel iDEN spectrum going to FD-LTE and the Clearwire spectrum going with TD-LTE. 4G CDMA died with Sprint's decision to kill Wi-Max

CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access
W - Wideband
TD - Time Division
S - Synchronous
FD - Frequency Division

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
W-CDMA is just another name for UMTS / HSPA (3G GSM). Generally, the world uses GSM based technologies, with a few exceptions being the US 3G (and below) networks of Verizon, Sprint, MetroPCS, US Cellular and a few others, as well as a few operators in Asia. China Mobile (1bn+ users) uses a cousin of US CDMA, called TD-SCDMA. I believe India is a GSM country.

As for 4G LTE networks, most of the world will be using FD-LTE (including T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T in the US). Softbank (Japan) and China Mobile are building TD-LTE Networks, and Sprint is building a hybrid network with their Nextel iDEN spectrum going to FD-LTE and the Clearwire spectrum going with TD-LTE. 4G CDMA died with Sprint's decision to kill Wi-Max

CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access
W - Wideband
TD - Time Division
S - Synchronous
FD - Frequency Division

Look, somebody with a clue.

All legacy cellular networks use CDMA. Verizon and Sprint support legacy CDMA2000, but that is being phased out over time with FD-LTE.

Verizon (and ATT) don't care about releasing updates because they know releasing updates means less new devices sold on fat contracts. Nothing in it for them. Apple seems to be the only one immune to this, but you can bet even apples updates get delayed by ATT and VZW.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Some people are quite rude to o.p...he's just sharing news he sees, I'm sure the update is coming soon either way, we're only at the beginning of August anyway

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, when I receive the update OTA, will I lose my downloaded apps saved data (as if it was a hard reset followed by the installation of a new OS)?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Look, somebody with a clue.

All legacy cellular networks use CDMA. Verizon and Sprint support legacy CDMA2000, but that is being phased out over time with FD-LTE.

Verizon (and ATT) don't care about releasing updates because they know releasing updates means less new devices sold on fat contracts. Nothing in it for them. Apple seems to be the only one immune to this, but you can bet even apples updates get delayed by ATT and VZW.

Actually, there is nothing AT&T/Verizon want more than for you NOT to upgrade your phone (unless its really old and they need to clear spectrum for new technologies). When you don't upgrade after 24 months, they now do not have to sell you a $600-$700 phone for $200, and this avoidance of the ~$20 per month subsidy flows directly to their bottom line and makes research analysts happy.

There is a reason they just bumped upgrades to 24 months from 20, and it amounts to ~$60-$80 per customer per line. Call it $35 per year, and Verizon makes an additional
~$3.5bn in incremental EBITDA per year on their 100mm postpaid subscribers. Assuming you value the company at 10x EBITDA, you just added $35bn to the equity market cap. Since there are ~2.9 bn shares, the stock price should increase ~$12...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon