Why No Native Remote Desktop App for WP8?

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why is there no Remote Desktop App for Windows Phone 8? You would think, that would be an app they would not forget to include.

eltawil

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess Microsoft might think of including it whenever they bring together Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8's APIs and platforms together. Currently, they're oceans apart. Hopefully they'll clear this mess with 8.1 for both platforms...whenever they come available.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While not native apps there are still plenty of 3rd party Remote Desktop apps available. I use TeamViewer which is free and allows me to remote into client computers no matter where I'm at with minimal setup for my clients. I also use Remote Desktop, a RDP/VNC client that is cheap and works very well and does not require a server app to be installed on the remote computer.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
VPN and RDP would make this the platform for business. VPN is allegedly on its way. Native RDP would be icing. I use RDP all the time on my Surface.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
While on Android, I had an awesome app called PhoneMyPC. I could control my PC (and others) using my phone and the proprietary program installed on the PC. The tray icon on the PC could even be hidden. It was great for keeping an eye on my kids use of the PC, great for setting up the webcam and seeing what my dogs were doing during the day, and great for when I was away and my wife had a problem with the laptop. It was one of the first things I looked for when I jumped to WP8 - but nothing. All of the apps I've seen require you to be on the same WiFi network. To me, that's useless. If I'm in the room on the same network, why would I need my phone when I could just go to the PC and do what needs to be done? PhoneMyPC used your data plan to communicate.

Anything like that on WP8 that maybe I've overlooked?

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
While on Android, I had an awesome app called PhoneMyPC. I could control my PC (and others) using my phone and the proprietary program installed on the PC. The tray icon on the PC could even be hidden. It was great for keeping an eye on my kids use of the PC, great for setting up the webcam and seeing what my dogs were doing during the day, and great for when I was away and my wife had a problem with the laptop. It was one of the first things I looked for when I jumped to WP8 - but nothing. All of the apps I've seen require you to be on the same WiFi network. To me, that's useless. If I'm in the room on the same network, why would I need my phone when I could just go to the PC and do what needs to be done? PhoneMyPC used your data plan to communicate.

Yes, as I posted above Remote Desktop will connect to remote desktop even across the internet using WiFi without the need of a server app on the desktop.

TeamViewer will also.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

They are at least 5 apps doing the job, did you search the app store?

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I guess I just didn't perform the right search. The ones I saw you either had to point the PC to a website, get a code, and then enter that code into your WP8 app; or you had to be on the same WiFi network as the PC you were accessing. Remote Desktop doesn't have very high rating - but I do see others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb