I see that a lot of people complain about Windows phone. I just wanted to share my experience.

yeto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I see that a lot of people complain about Windows phones. I just wanted to share my experience.

Let me start by saying I am not as tech savvy as probably most of you on this forum. I previously owned two different Android phones. They probably were not the highest quality phones in the market as it seemed like at least 3 to 4 times per week I would have to remove the battery from those phones and reboot them because the phone would stop working properly. To me I found that very annoying. I currently have the Verizon 822 and the 928 Windows 8 Nokia phones. I have never had to reboot these phones. They just seem to work. If there is something that I don't know how to do, related to Windows phones, I just post on this forum and the people here have helped me with instructions or have helped me find work arounds. I guess what I am trying to say is that these phones work for me without a lot of hassle which is the most important thing to me. So, was it just my experience, or is a Windows phone more reliability when it comes to pressing the power button and the phone will actually work versus having to reboot and in this regard how would a Windows phone stack up to an i phone?

Thanks,
yeto

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's just you. More people tend to tell other people when they have a complaint than when they have a positive experience. That is true in real life during conversations with family/friends/co-workers/neighbours, not just on Internet forums.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the main positives in my opinion that is often overlooked about the WP8 platform - it works extremely efficiently and reliably. It's easy to overlook this but it's one of the most important aspects of the OS in my opinion.

DurnDurnDurn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat you are. I've had no issues with any of the Nokia Windows Phones I have had. When I had the HTC Trophy the only issue I had with that was the random reboot but they found that the problem was with one of the HTC apps so once I removed the app I never experienced those random reboots again. I currently use a Lumia 928 and it runs great. My wife and sister have 822s and they haven't had any problems with them and a friend of mine has a 928 as well. No problems amongst the 4 of us. Maybe we have been lucky, but I think Nokia makes some quality phones.

I wonder if any of the people having issues with their phones randomly rebooting or consuming too much battery if it might be an issue with an app on their phone just like it was an issue for my HTC Trophy.

I would also agree that the out of box experience is most important to me. The fact that the phone just works great without much set up or hassle. Love what Microsoft and Nokia are doing with Windows Phone. Can't wait to see what comes out. Hopefully HTC and Samsung can do a little more to support Windows Phone.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi! Thank you for sharing your experience.

I can understand and relate to having a working phone. I used to reset my iPhone all the time until I got my 900 and 920.

thesmithiz

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the same experience and feel this phone is definitely one of the best I have used. I am very tech savvy and have been in the mobile phone industry for about 30 years and have used a lot of phones on many networks. From my experience the best phones I have used for build quality and network performance always were Nokia and Motorola which after years of iPhone use is a big reason I went to the 928 and windows.....I watched and listened to the folks around me with the Android fun.

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head. While I understand that MS still has some way to go with some small and necessary features, people underestimate the importance of a rock solid OS. I don't remember ever having to reboot my phone. Can't say the same about my previous android phones.

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my 925 for 2 weeks, but I really like it. Nokia build quality is top notch, the OS is solid, and i'm loving the integration with Office365. Looking forward to seeing how Microsoft continues to improve WP8.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I've owned a (Android)G1, G2, MyTouch, Samsung Vibrant, HTC Thunderbolt (worst Android phone ever), Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and an iPhone 4 and 4s. And now a Lumia 928. That being said...

Out of the box, yes, to me, the L928 is the most fluid, easiest to use, and visually appealing OS I've had. While Android has live wallpapers, side scrolling home screens with scrolling wallpaper, customizeable launchers, standard 4 shortcut icons at the bottom, Google Now/Search, and customizeable icon sets; and iPhone offering folders and the new iOS7...I was still more impressed by the UI of the Windows Phone. I love the live tiles, so Androids widgets weren't really missed - iOS does not have either of these. The tiles are visually appealing, customizeable, and useful. Slide to the left and there is all of your apps which can be searched by letter. With Android, you have to side scroll until you find what you're looking for. With iOS you do the same unless you made a bunch of folders.

I am an avid picture taker and I LOVE the camera on the L928. Even moreso than the Android and iOS cameras. I don't really care for Instagram so that wasn't a deal breaker for me. I can still apply filters and the low-light pictures are amazing. And if you haven't checked it out yet, Refocus is an awesome app! As are many other camera apps.

It's not without shortcomings. While I've argued on here extensively about researching products well before you buy so that you don't complain about things afterwards...I've had to humble myself and realize that some things can't be researched: update frequency, music app performance (lacking imo), lack of extended volume controls, email attachments in replies, no way to add additional colors to the theme settings, and a few other things. However, you have to ask yourself if those things really take away from the overall user experience enough to make it a sub-par device. And it comes down to one thing: To Each, His Own.

I personally love my L928 - for now. Can I say I'll never own another Android device? No, I can't say that. But for now, this is fresh and new and I believe MS's best is yet to come...I just wish they were a bit quicker about it.

Welcome fellow 928 user!

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I've got an HTC 8X and I'm liking the Windows 8 experience as well. I see that some people have issues, and I've found a few limitations myself, but I think I'm comparing the phone to a computer more than to my last phone, so that's actually high praise... it's practically a pocket computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786