Changing to WP but can't choose between lumia 920 and 925

pommes

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I've got a first world problem. I've got a Iphone 4S and I've been thinking of changing to a Lumia phone. However, I'm stuck because I can't make up my mind between the Lumia 920 and 925.
There are things I like and don't like about both phones.
I really adore the Lumia 920 design in comparison to the 925 who, imho, looks weird with the sides and the back in a different color/metal. That being said I was afraid the weight of the 920 might be problematic, but I've realized not so much because I'm a girl and put my phone in my bag. So in term of design I really prefer the 920.
However, I was wondering about several things :
1) Is the battery any better in the Lumia 925 or is it more a question of OS update and calibration?
2) About the OS update, I live in Belgium and I've always bought my phones nude/unlocked as contracts don't exist here. So, how will I get OS update, by my carrier or by the Windows Phone software on Windows?
3) Will the camera on the 920 be improved with OS updates? I heard that the 925 had better camera.
4) I term of display, I'm not an expert in terms of AMOLED/LCD display but could I have an photo or video to see the difference between the two. Does the display have a impact on the battery?
So, in conclusion I'm leaning more on the 920 as it's only 20 euros more than the 925 but the storage is doubled and I've prefer the design. However, I'm hesitating mainly for the battery, the display and the OS update.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
1. Battery life will likely be better on the 924 as AMOLED displays are more energy efficient (black pixels are black because they are off, not because they are blocked like in LCD). I have a Lumia 928, which is essentially a hybrid 925 and 920 for the US market, and battery life is quite good.

2. OS updates come over the air, directly from Nokia if it is unlocked or from the carrier if it is locked/branded

3. The Lumia 920 is receiving a camera update, so daylight pictures should get better

4. LCD is generally better at color reproduction, with AMOLED being more saturated. However, AMOLED is much more power efficient on WP because of all the black on the screen. The Amber update (already on 925, to come on 920/928) allows custom color / saturation so you can tweak it.

Just throwing this out there, but you may want to consider a 928 as its physically similar to a 920 and has wireless charging, has the Amoled screen of the 925 and the Xenon flash of the 1020. Its a Verizon exclusive, but due to regulatory rules is completely gsm unlocked (though I don't know what your country's LTE bands are). I have used it on Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T here in the US by editing the APN settings in Access Point. Keep in mind if you do get one, the warranty is for the US, so it probably only makes sense if you have friends here or travel to the US often

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Both are great phones, and both have advantages and disadvantages. Ill try and answer you point for point.

1) battery is the same, as the os is newer and calibration is better on the 925 you will see a slight edge in battery until gdr2 hits.

2) with an unlocked phone you would get your os updates as soon as Nokia release them. This is usually before the carrier updates land.

3) gdr2 will bring lots of camera updates to the 920. The 925 has an extra lens, so that wont ever be added. But the software and calibration improvements will.
(n.b. I have a 920 and the camera is awesome before the updates)

4) ips lcd and amoled is really swings and roundabouts. That is to say one is not better than the other, just that they both have good and bad, so its really a preference issue.

Amoleds are great for blacks, as they litterally turn off black pixels, this will mean a slight edge in battery life if you use the black theme. They however use more power to light up pixels, so you would see a lower battery life on a light theme than an ips.

Gdr2 comes with Nokia colour profile, so i could wax lyrical about the colour and warmth differences between amoled and ips lcd, but its moot as you can just change the colour profile to suit you.

Imho, its a wash.

Things to consider:

920 has wireless charging built in. This is VERY useful.

925 has an extra lens, this means the camera will always be slightly better

920 has more storage. Do you need it?

You will have the phone for a year or two. Which one do you prefer looking at?

Hope this helped.

Kellzea

JoneKone

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I?d say if the weight don't bother you, you should go with the 920 (to me its not an issue what so ever). I?ve had mine since March this year. I don?t concider myself a heavy user but I?m already up at 21 Gb (lots of apps (11 Gb) and a few games, pics from three holiday trips and videos).

When you get it you should get the wireless charger at the same time, its really sweet. It takes a few load cycles for the battery reach optimal performance, and now I can use it for work and light media in the evening and still have 20% when going to sleep. Any heavy usage e.g streaming music, video or lots of surfing will deplete the battery pretty quickly (as is the case with any smart phone). I?m carrying a small battery pack in my bag so I can charge the phone on the go if the need arises (really convinient, just plug in your phone and leave it in your bag to charge).

The surface on the 920 is a bit slippery, so highly recomended to get a invicible gel bumper or similiar. Although I?ve accidentaly thrown mine a few times in the wall and even once left it between my car door and only a few scratches in the plastic body as evidence of that. So I would say the 920 is the most durable phone on the market.

I expect to have mine for 2 - 3 years and the switch. So the non-user removable battery is not a problem. ... Oh, and the camera on the 920 is great and will get even better with upcoming update. Oh, and Nokia/MicroSoft handles the updates (atleast here in Finland) so you dont need a Contract phone.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, weight. Don't worry about the weight or size, humans adapt really quickly and within a week it will feel natural and all other phones will feel like little toys. So don't worry about weight. Its a non-issue after a few days.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3