WP 8.1/Blue won't support 512 ram devices?

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it's true either, since MS officially promises technical support for WP8 ecosystem for 36 months, no way MS would ditch any WP8 devices with only 512MB ram on board any time soon.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that Windows Phone 8.1/Blue won't support devices with 512mb ram?

I work for a large European carrier. I've been told directly by Nokia, on multiple occasions, that all current devices will receive WP8.1. Your L720 will receive it as well.

I heard WP8 actually has lower resource needs than WP7, can anyone confirm?

(And Windows 8 is a bit lighter than 7 I think)

I can confirm that this is very wrong. It is likely another example of people confusing statements made about W7 and W8, and expecting them to apply similarly to WP7 and WP8 as well.

The WP8 kernel is slightly more efficient than the WP7 kernel. That is just a small part of the OS however. Most of what doesn't belong to the kernel is more powerful in terms of flexibility and extensibility, but it is quite a bit less efficient than WP7. With things like the WP8 CLR it depends on what you are referring to. Some things it executes faster, others it does not, although it generally requires more RAM than its WP7 equivalent. And so on and so forth...

WP7 was based on an extremely lightweight real-time OS called Windows CE. Nothing coming from the desktop/server realm (Like WP8 or Android) will be as lightweight and efficient as that.

Going forward however, progress in specific parts of the OS will be similar between WP8.x and W8.x, like the CLR. Just so far it hasn't been.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
No no no. If anything, it's actually heavier.

Lol so hheavy that phones with 512 mb cant play the big games Microsoft should make sure that there are 512mb games in the store that are close to the 1gb games or Microsoft could actually make wp so much faster and better tht maybe 1 gb games can run on those phones

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Lol so hheavy that phones with 512 mb cant play the big games Microsoft should make sure that there are 512mb games in the store that are close to the 1gb games or Microsoft could actually make wp so much faster and better tht maybe 1 gb games can run on those phones

The RAM requirements for the big games has nothing to do with the OS. That is alone on the shoulders of every individual game. The main difficulty is that most games are ported from other platforms that manage RAM differently. It has nothing to do with OS itself, and how efficient it may or may not be.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The RAM requirements for the big games has nothing to do with the OS. That is alone on the shoulders of every individual game. The main difficulty is that most games are ported from other platforms that manage RAM differently. It has nothing to do with OS itself, and how efficient it may or may not be.

amm yes but Microsoft can make wp faster less ram efficient and maybe even les smaller(Os size on phone) while keeping the wp interface rich

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
People panicking based on a speculation and rumour just shows how silly and spontaneous people can be, thus causing a domino affect - you would be surprised how fast the word of month can travel.

Therefore one most always research, make logical judgments from themselves then speak or panic if said speculation is true lol.

However in this case, unless its plastered in an article with concrete sources there is no point adding any fuel to this speculation.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
amm yes but Microsoft can make wp faster less ram efficient and maybe even les smaller(Os size on phone) while keeping the wp interface rich

I would prefer it being more ram efficient ;).
They could indeed optimize the OS, but game dev's are the ones to blame.
I've had laggy 2d games on iOS and super fluid 3d game(nova 3) running perfectly

anon(6101439)

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm Egyptian, too and I want to ask you a question about the Nokia Lumia 820 accessories. Does the wireless charger and the battery and the covers available in Egypt or not? Please answer :smile: :smile:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm Egyptian, too and I want to ask you a question about the Nokia Lumia 820 accessories. Does the wireless charger and the battery and the covers available in Egypt or not? Please answer :smile: :smile:

Search first in the Lumia 820 forum. Then, if you can't find your answer, start a thread in the 820 forum.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Has WP9 ever been mentioned before by Microsoft themselves? Even talks about WP 8.1 or Blue are just speculations. We might even have WP 8.2,8.3 or something like that.

No. Microsoft has never mentioned WP9. Hence, no statement about upgradeability was ever made either.

I would really like to know what MS' update policy is... out of technical curiosity and to further my understanding of WP.

However, worrying about updating current devices to WP9 now makes little sense. It's so far off, more than a year, that it really just doesn't matter.

cyberden

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Even WP7.8 are under support cycle currently, but MS has abandoned it, who cares about support cycle it does'nt guarantee anything.

Support does not mean that you'll get all the updates. It just means that if there are huge security holes MS will fix them. It doesn't guarantee anything.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes, all current devices will be upgradeable to the next version of WP. That is WP8.1. That is the only strong claim being made in any of those articles, which, BTW, can always be traced back to a statement made by Mr. Sullivan and has absolutely nothing to do with support cycles.

That all current devices will get WP8.1 is undisputed. Anyone getting anything more from any of those articles either can't read critically or doesn't understand the intent behind MS' support cycles.

And... as previously stated, nowhere is WP9 ever mentioned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3