Has anyone else noticed that conversation view in windows phone 8 email has a different behaviour from 7.8? On my outlook.com address, on my Dell Venue Pro, email alerts and newsletters get grouped together on my new lumia 521 they do not. You can see what I mean here: https://twitter.com/eincerto/status/...707904/photo/1

Regular repllies and forwards get threaded, but with conversation view on, as you can see in the image, my alerts do not. Can anyone even confirm this behaviour? A solution would be awesome too.
    bq97wujcyaae-1t.jpg
    xandros9 likes this.
    08-12-2013 07:14 AM
    Never really noticed, but now that you mentioned it, mine seems to group the majority of the times but a few of them are not grouped. What's interesting is that all of yours are not grouped.

wp_ss_20130812_0001.png
    Plazma1 and xandros9 like this.
    08-12-2013 07:32 AM
    Not sure if this is your problem but go to the inbox, tap settings, choose the account you want your messages grouped in and make sure the 'Conversations' toggle is on.
    08-12-2013 08:01 AM
    Yup - conversation view is still on in the inbox in both wp7.8 and wp8 - all the settings are the exact same. The twitter support team has told me to disable the switch reboot and then turn it on again - which I've tried to no avail. So the more people that can confirm the behaviour will make me feel like it's not just my phone.

I can't give up my DVP until I resolve this.
    08-12-2013 06:44 PM
    Weird. Maybe something is going with your email that makes the client think that each one is from a different conversation ? Does that happen with every account? Mine works fine, on a 620.
    08-13-2013 06:56 AM
    Its very weird. I'm using an outlook com address and its working fine with conversations on my wp7.8 . I've tried deleting and reconnecting the account a few times too.
    08-13-2013 06:51 PM
    So... I believe conversations are grouped based on a field in the message header. This is what relates them as a conversation (when you reply to a message, your mail client carries the value of that field forward into your reply; new messages have a different value). I further believe that proper behavior would be to not group emails with the same subject together unless they are part of the same conversation (i.e. the field in the message header has the same values). New messages with similar subjects that are not replies or forwards would have a different value in this field, and thus not be part of the conversation. As far as I can see, this is supported in both the WP8 screenshots above.

I could be wrong.

Perhaps WP7 grouped conversations using a different method? Perhaps it used the subject line instead of the message header field? I don't know, I never had a WP7 device. But I'm pretty sure that the way WP8 groups conversations is the proper method.
    08-14-2013 09:03 AM
    That was the explanation that I had tingling at the back of my brain - and is ultimately why I posed this question. The odd thing is that I haven't seen any documentation on this change anywhere and that behaviour on wp7 was actually amazingly useful.

The MS team hasn't answered the query on Twitter so that's what made me open this post. Even if the new way of grouping conversations is intentional, I feel it best that those buying a wp7 are made aware of it.
    08-14-2013 03:26 PM
    Even if the new way of grouping conversations is intentional, I feel it best that those buying a wp7 are made aware of it.
    Yeah, you're probably right.
    08-14-2013 03:33 PM
    Actually - wp7 for sure grouped by subject. Check this out:

Group messages by conversation

When you turn on conversations in your email inbox, all of the messages that share a common subject are grouped together. You can expand or collapse the whole group, and review all of the messages together, including ones you've sent.
    Source: Group messages by conversation | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I can't find any related documentation for wp8 - maybe I'll check out Paul Thurott's site.
    08-14-2013 03:38 PM
    Actually - wp7 for sure grouped by subject.
    Well, there you go. I'm pretty confident that WP8 uses the message headers to determine if a message is part of a "conversation" or not. So there's that. :)
    08-14-2013 03:43 PM
    Yes, I also have same problem. I have a Lumia 710 wp7.8 and a Lumia 1020 wp8.1. My wp7 can group all kinds of same email conversations but my wp8 can only group very few conversations. There are a lot of same headers and posts that I accidentally spam but it wont group together in my wp8.
    08-21-2014 02:41 AM