WP8 Ugly tiles

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe I just need to try it for an extended period of time. I have three accounts. Work, personal, and "elected official" (I'm on the city council for a small city.) I don't think I mind if they are in the same list, but part of me wants them to at least be color coded.. I dunno.. pretty silly maybe.

The other part is the lock screen. I have all three accounts set to show up on the lock screen. That way I can glance and see if I have an email in one of the three accounts. If I'm on work, I might not care if there is new email in my personal account. If I link them, then I can only add the linked inbox to my start screen so all I will know is I have an email in one of those three accounts. I would have to go into the inbox to see if it is important or not.

Honestly, it's not like that is a ton of time... just slightly more inconvenient..

I have four email accounts synced to my phone. There accounts are linked and my most important one stands alone. That way I have two tiles, one linked and one separate. I always make it a point to check the important stand alone but when I get mail and alot of times wait to check my linked box later.

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP to an extent .. We all love the concept behind live tiles , and also the uniformity of using the same accent colour across a majority of the OS...
BUT ... that shouldn't be a reason for not having an option to customize...

Something as elegant as having the "G" from google , or "Y!" from Yahoo on the tile to distinguish between the accounts..the Accent colour could hold its place in the background as well..

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP to an extent .. We all love the concept behind live tiles , and also the uniformity of using the same accent colour across a majority of the OS...

Something as elegant as having the "G" from google , or "Y!" from Yahoo on the tile to distinguish between the accounts..the Accent colour could hold its place in the background as well..

+1 for ccustomization

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Transparent tiles would be so great. I love love love the transparent tile option that comes with Simple Calendar. I have used the contrast setting to get a black/white look for my screen but it's not quite right, and it takes away Lockscreen images--being able to selectively increase the black/white contrast via tiles would just be super. *crosses fingers*

thegamevg

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I honestly wish transparency finds its way to WP sooner rather than later...
I believe that Blue will take one step forward in that regard - by allowing a custom wallpaper behind the grid of live tiles to fill in the gaps- same as what Windows 8 already has..

The Settings menu could be expanded to look like - Background : Light , Dark , Image --> select background.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

The Yahoo mail tile does show the Yahoo Y symbol but the Gmail one doesn't show anything on its tile to differentiate it from other email tiles.

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If the tile has some crazy good looking pciture, that fills to whole tile, I am usually very fine with that.
What I don't like are tiles, that use symbols or icons like the way it was meant to be, but somehow uses an own background color. Let's take Skydrive as an example. Good looking icon but uses that dumb blue which does not fit my theme color :/

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I always thought it would look nice if it had the graphic quality like Blink Feed does with the HTC One. I almost got the HTC One for that reason, but then realized it's still an Android phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Put me in the "let me change the tiles" Category. Heck, I have a moon phases live tile that all it does is give a picture of what phase the moon is in, no info, no data, nothing else. Why? Just to give my start screen some color. I understand those that like the theme being on every tile, I just find it dull. I love live tiles and the modern UI, I just want more fun and flash.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The Yahoo mail tile does show the Yahoo Y symbol but the Gmail one doesn't show anything on its tile to differentiate it from other email tiles.

Actually, it does. The Google tile shows the GMAIL logo (which is just a simple envelope). And Outlook/MS tile shows the Outlook logo. All the vendor specific email tiles have their own unique tile icon/logo.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
The solution: A second accent color! Vote for it :D

I would prefer to add the option to select the tile colour within each program.

There are a couple of programs that allow this (like "connection tiles"), so why not put it by default?

Examples of options for tile colour menu:
- keep accent one (default)
- transparent
- blue, red, etc...

Later I?ll check if someone created something like this in the windows feedback site.

Malamute67

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar issue with not having the ability to customize my e-mail tiles. I can change icons on my WIN 7 and 8 PCs, yet cannot do so on my WIN 8 phone. Not good when you have 5 e-mail accounts as I do that need to be kept separate due to 'privilege' issues; therefore, linking is not an option. As they are all from one ISP and are Outlook accounts the tile for each is the same. Makes for a lot of wasted effort when waiting for a reply to have to search through each account. If would be nice to have the ability to look at a selection of images and pick which one to use for each account, or failing that to be able to somehow label the existing 'envelope' tile with a word or symbol. Hope Microsoft and Nokia are listening.

Colby Lee

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
One thing I would like, is the ability to change the background to more than just white and black. I would also like the ability to change the tiles to white, or black without having to use high contrast (tiles only).

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Only issue I have is the medium stock tiles are so useless. They dont dispay any information beyond the small tiles. They are basically a waste of space. I think they should add in the ability for the medium tiles to flip and show part of your most recnet email or text message. Just my ideas. Medium tiles are almost always a waste. That is why I only use small or large. Only medium tiles I have on my screen are Bing weather, Weather radar tile (which shows the current radar and is more useable when larger than small tile), people (cuz it is the coolest tile that nothing else have every done similar to, and my games tile (I am a gamer, and the medium tile has some simple animations over the small tile).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa