WP8 Ugly tiles

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
what. Linking accounts is the best thing ever. Unless you get 200 emails a day. I understand though..buy usually the content of the mail lets you know what's up already.

Maybe a person has separate work and personal accounts. He might not want to link the inboxes in that situation.

I don't know what it is exactly. Maybe I just need to try it for an extended period of time. I have three accounts. Work, personal, and "elected official" (I'm on the city council for a small city.) I don't think I mind if they are in the same list, but part of me wants them to at least be color coded.. I dunno.. pretty silly maybe.

The other part is the lock screen. I have all three accounts set to show up on the lock screen. That way I can glance and see if I have an email in one of the three accounts. If I'm on work, I might not care if there is new email in my personal account. If I link them, then I can only add the linked inbox to my start screen so all I will know is I have an email in one of those three accounts. I would have to go into the inbox to see if it is important or not.

Honestly, it's not like that is a ton of time... just slightly more inconvenient..

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the live tiles. Of course anything can be improved but I think they are far from ugly

Sent from something UhMEHZing using Tapatalk

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
liked the rant, but I actually think that conformity for at least the system apps is good regarding color, but there should be a choice of the icon. I luckily have one hotmail and one outlook inbox, their icons are different ;)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I need different choices for the mail icon. Look at my start screen
View attachment 39969

I have three mail accounts there. It would be nice to have a way to tell the icons apart. A lable under each one would be nice if I couldn't change the icon. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice.

I've got four email accounts on my 920 and each one of them has a different icon on its respective tile. That being said, each email account I have is from a different provider. Are your email accounts from the same provider or different providers?

Pete fin

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem with the tiles..... (customizable would be an added advantage)

by the by, i would wish that the toast notifications are semi transparent (for instance, when it came when playing games like AE 3D Moto, the important part of the screen is blocked for quite sometime and so for other apps which makes use of full screen)... just saying

Not a biggie for me, but it would be nice to have options: on / off / transparent.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. If Windows strayed from their minimalist tile layout, then it would hurt their image, and they would be viewed as android is...a highly customizable interface that people with a poor sense of design will take advantage of...and that's bad for marketing.

User interface design is an art, and should be left to professionals. Even if someone doesn't agree with the design, at least there's consistency throughout, and that's what gives Windows its creative image.

I think nobody here wants a radical change (don't even mention android), just a simple option to vary tiles. My mother's phone looks like a red brick! Almost all the programs she uses are accent-based, and its confusing for her to find them in the start screen with her poor eyesight.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I've got four email accounts on my 920 and each one of them has a different icon on its respective tile. That being said, each email account I have is from a different provider. Are your email accounts from the same provider or different providers?

Two exchange and one Live mail. All setup using the same account setup. The icons can be the same if they would let me add text to the small tile.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It's one of the best things in WP. It's non conventional and refreshing. I really like the unified colors of the tiles. I wish the other apps would develop an icon in every other color scheme.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, never saw an advantage to that. It is just one large list of emails that I can't tell what account they are from.

Good point.

I think that if you have them (the tiles) at half-size instead of eighth-size they'll include the name of the account. I think. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I'm with you on linked-inboxes, tk-093. I have three accounts on my phone, though only two are pinned. One is Hotmail and one is Outlook, so they're different tiles. I'm thinking, though, that I've read somewhere that if you add an Outlook account using the add Hotmail option, it will work, and you'll get the Hotmail tile. It'll only differentiate one of your accounts, but it's something (assuming that it works as I remember reading - haven't tried it).

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No, never saw an advantage to that. It is just one large list of emails that I can't tell what account they are from. Maybe if they could be color coded like the calendars are.. Then I think I would link them.

what. Linking accounts is the best thing ever. Unless you get 200 emails a day. I understand though..buy usually the content of the mail lets you know what's up already.

Not bragging or anything, I have 7 accounts on my phone - all in a linked inbox. Whenever you open an email it says what inbox has been hit with i.e. Hotmail, Work, Pimps etc whatever you've called that inbox when you synced. So even though there are no colours, when you tap and open an email in the list, it says what account you have received it in and what account you are replying for. It seems to me it's more subjective choice though.

Maybe a person has separate work and personal accounts. He might not want to link the inboxes in that situation.

I have to say I'm with you on linked-inboxes, tk-093. I have three accounts on my phone, though only two are pinned. One is Hotmail and one is Outlook, so they're different tiles. I'm thinking, though, that I've read somewhere that if you add an Outlook account using the add Hotmail option, it will work, and you'll get the Hotmail tile. It'll only differentiate one of your accounts, but it's something (assuming that it works as I remember reading - haven't tried it).

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Not bragging or anything, I have 7 accounts on my phone - all in a linked inbox. Whenever you open an email it says what inbox has been hit with i.e. Hotmail, Work, Pimps etc whatever you've called that inbox when you synced. So even though there are no colours, when you tap and open an email in the list, it says what account you have received it in and what account you are replying for. It seems to me it's more subjective choice though.

Nothing wrong with a little bragging. :smile:

You're right, it is a little subjective. The one sticking point for me, though, is still the lock screen notifications. If I have my accounts seperate, I can add each one as a lock screen notification so when I turn on my phone I can see what account has email so don't need to go any farther if it is not an account I want to deal with. Otherwise I have to unlock the phone and go into the inbox. Not "glance and go" enough for me but YMMV.

If we could still add individual accounts to the lock screen while having a linked inbox that wouldn't be a bad option. Either way, just minor things.....

gazmatic

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I need different choices for the mail icon. Look at my start screen
View attachment 39969

I have three mail accounts there. It would be nice to have a way to tell the icons apart. A lable under each one would be nice if I couldn't change the icon. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice.

why dont you just link your inboxes?

i have all of my inboxes linked, google, outlook, yahoo...

its easier that way

try clicking on the three dots... and customizing the beyeebus out of it

MFmonster

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes, they are. I hate that they follow the accent color. Why do I have to have lots of basic tiles with the same color? It makes them hard to distinguish at first sight, and the phone looks boring.

We should be able to pick the color, or Ms should set standard tiles that are different between each other.

Yes, I know I can change them with custom soft, but those tiles sometimes lack functions, or take a background task spot.

I wonder if there is a consumer request at Microsoft's feedback site about this. I'm tired of creating them :p

It would be cool to alter every tile, accent, yourself. It would be fun to line up tiles and use a color pallette

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

its easier that way

I've explained my reasons above. Not ideal for how I work.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

its easier that way

Some people just want to keep their personal and work accounts separated. Like me :cool:

When I work I don?t want to get distracted by my friends weekend plans, and when I?m on the weekend I don?t want to hear about a work meeting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12