Do you think later updates will take this long?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea why MS doesn't do it at the same time, if anyone can make sense of it please do.

The carriers would have to agree to allow updates to be pushed directly from the manufacturer. MS doesn't have a big enough share to demand it. Apple got AT&T to agree in the beginning as part of having exclusive rights. Once that deal ended, Apple showed the iPhone was the phone to beat, so other carriers agreed to the same thing.

gothfebrio

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
The carriers would have to agree to allow updates to be pushed directly from the manufacturer. MS doesn't have a big enough share to demand it. Apple got AT&T to agree in the beginning as part of having exclusive rights. Once that deal ended, Apple showed the iPhone was the phone to beat, so other carriers agreed to the same thing.
That is one thing. But lets take a look at those approved updates. Nokia themselves has came out with the 920 getting it first and in a scheduled manner. It seems that they simply dont have enough servers to push the update smoothly to all the users. Something that need to be sorted out on their end.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That is one thing. But lets take a look at those approved updates. Nokia themselves has came out with the 920 getting it first and in a scheduled manner. It seems that they simply dont have enough servers to push the update smoothly to all the users. Something that need to be sorted out on their end.

This is typically how Nokia has always pushed their updates. I've been with Nokia for some time. The N8 did a cyclic update and I wouldn't be surprised if other mobile phone OS are done in a similar fashion. I could be wrong though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
As to the OP here. These posts that keep popping up about updates and the length of time it appears to be taking has very little to do with the updates themselves and shows an indication of what WP users are feeling.

It wouldn't matter how long OS updates took if the OS was in good shape to begin with. The truth is that it's not. WP8 is considered by some, not all, to be way behind the competition, not just in user numbers but in features. It's also a fear that we won't gain more users unless said features come along. To add there's an overwhelming feeling that users will leave if said features don't show up.

The results to many people is that WP will fail if things don't change and it 'feels' like MS is going way too slow compared to the competition due to the fact they're 'far' behind already.

The passion that people have for WP is showing in these posts. People take them as being negative but it's not really the case. People want to see WP succeed. They want the numbers to grow and they want MS to hear their voice as to what they feel is missing.

Now having said all that. On the whole, yes WP is quite different in the way it does things. I think people get too caught up in wanting the phone to be like other phones when it's not. Yes things can be done better. Yes there are in my mind key features missing that should be standard. Yes the OS does appear to have been rushed and not ready, if the indication of problems that people have had with SD cards and other bits are any indication. This is the reality of dealing with a 'new' OS. There's going to be teething issues and myself personally I rather them take the time and get it right and working right rather than rush our 'new' features.

Lastly in my eyes if WP8.1 does not add the features I want when it comes out I will consider other platforms as I feel that these features should have been there at the outset and the fact they're missing it somewhat disappointing.

There's my two cents.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
As to the OP here. These posts that keep popping up about updates and the length of time it appears to be taking has very little to do with the updates themselves and shows an indication of what WP users are feeling.

It wouldn't matter how long OS updates took if the OS was in good shape to begin with. The truth is that it's not. WP8 is considered by some, not all, to be way behind the competition, not just in user numbers but in features. It's also a fear that we won't gain more users unless said features come along. To add there's an overwhelming feeling that users will leave if said features don't show up.

The results to many people is that WP will fail if things don't change and it 'feels' like MS is going way too slow compared to the competition due to the fact they're 'far' behind already.

The passion that people have for WP is showing in these posts. People take them as being negative but it's not really the case. People want to see WP succeed. They want the numbers to grow and they want MS to hear their voice as to what they feel is missing.

Now having said all that. On the whole, yes WP is quite different in the way it does things. I think people get too caught up in wanting the phone to be like other phones when it's not. Yes things can be done better. Yes there are in my mind key features missing that should be standard. Yes the OS does appear to have been rushed and not ready, if the indication of problems that people have had with SD cards and other bits are any indication. This is the reality of dealing with a 'new' OS. There's going to be teething issues and myself personally I rather them take the time and get it right and working right rather than rush our 'new' features.

Lastly in my eyes if WP8.1 does not add the features I want when it comes out I will consider other platforms as I feel that these features should have been there at the outset and the fact they're missing it somewhat disappointing.

There's my two cents.

That was a good read and I agree with everything.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely not, the plan was/is to first update the operating system so it can support many types of hardware, (HD screens, quad core processors, ect.) after words the plan is to update with features, I believe they were planning on releasing updates every couple months, but they ran into issues with gdr2 and that set them back quite a while

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not, the plan was/is to first update the operating system so it can support many types of hardware, (HD screens, quad core processors, ect.) after words the plan is to update with features, I believe they were planning on releasing updates every couple months, but they ran into issues with gdr2 and that set them back quite a while

Haha release updates every couple months? I don't think so, not unless they bypass carriers because ATT hasn't even released GDR2..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss