Microsoft allowing carriers to change ota updates

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay im sorry im a wp ****** but this is ridiculous how can a carrier have the decision to choose wat new features the user can have from a update??? -_-

Raver Rain

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Okay im sorry im a wp ****** but this is ridiculous how can a carrier have the decision to choose wat new features the user can have from a update??? -_-
because carrier wons your phone.
they provide it at cheap rates to you.
if you dont like carrier just buy international variant it will cost you more in exchange of feedom

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually no the carrier DOESNT own my phone if I buy it outright, which I always do. Carrier branding and update control is a farce.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Telecom still has control over even if we bought our unit because they won't explain what updating they do, that's why as you can see on Nokia update page, most Variant still for approval while unlocked is coming soon, that's what happening in our country, maybe different in yours but try to check with your local network and see what explanation they will give you.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
so funny, people complaining about carriers didnt pay full price for their pone and now they complain? do you know why you didnt pay full price for it? or you think the carrier was nice to you and gave it "for free"? lol sometimes people can be funny :) im sorry but its true. dont like it, pay full price for an unbranded phone and move on. if not, dont come and complain like if it was something new.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
so funny, people complaining about carriers didnt pay full price for their pone and now they complain? do you know why you didnt pay full price for it? or you think the carrier was nice to you and gave it "for free"? lol sometimes people can be funny :) im sorry but its true. dont like it, pay full price for an unbranded phone and move on. if not, dont come and complain like if it was something new.
I did not know when your home is still on mortgage its not yours and anyone can walk in without your permission.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, it's not a question of phone ownership, it's a question of network ownership. They own the network, they get to say what goes on it.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Except I did pay full price but yet because the UK versions were exclusive to EE (even through third party retailers like Phones4U), I'm still stuck in this situation.

gagandeep3019

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
They put their software because they want you to use their services.
I do not know may be we call them bloatwares. Now there is nothing wrong with this.they give you phone at less price , if you do not want to use their services either do not use their software or go for full price phone.
Now microsoft has to make contract with them because they want to sell devices using popular network provider

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

And yet Apple has the power to dictate that all of their devices get an update, when they get the update, and what is in the update.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There is big differences between carrier branded and unbranded, regardless how much you paid for. Unbranded phone is sold to you directly from manufacturer (via retailers). The phone manufacturer is responsible for what's included and what's not. A carrier branded phone is sold to you by carrier, not directly from manufacturer. Carrier custom orders these phones from the manufacturer per their specifications, not yours or anyone else's. Typically, it is done in a fashion that saves carrier cost and maximize their profit. The phone maker is not responsible for you as you are not the direct customer.

If you bought a carrier branded phone without any discounts, you get screwed. For most of us, the ONLY reason why we buy a carrier branded phone is to save the upfront costs in exchange for a contract. There is zero advantage to pay full price for such a phone.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
And yet Apple has the power to dictate that all of their devices get an update, when they get the update, and what is in the update.
Not exactly true. For example, you can't have tethering unless you paid tethering data plan on your carrier. And facetime was locked out of cellular data usage for quite a long time. Apple doesn't have that much power anymore. As for update, it is easy to update just one phone once a year or so.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Not exactly true. For example, you can't have tethering unless you paid tethering data plan on your carrier. And facetime was locked out of cellular data usage for quite a long time. Apple doesn't have that much power anymore. As for update, it is easy to update just one phone once a year or so.

Two major updates a year with several minor bug fix updates. It isn't just once a year.

But your other points are definitely correct.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To get back on topic: I don't think anyone knows what this thread is really intended to be about.

1)
Carriers can only influence those features where they are directly involved with the solution, like data sense.

2)
Carriers do negotiate with MS to determine what they would and wouldn't allow on their networks, but this happens long before MS starts work on anything new. Like Tim said, it's the carriers network, so they say what is acceptable.

3)
Once an update is put together, carriers have absolutely no say in determining which features are or aren't activated. Carriers either accept the whole update or reject it entirely, in which case consumers get nothing.

4)
Carriers can ask OEMs for some customization, but that is only possible in firmware, NOT the OS. The OS is 100% identical on every device and on every carrier.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Except I did pay full price but yet because the UK versions were exclusive to EE (even through third party retailers like Phones4U), I'm still stuck in this situation.

You were better of getting it off clove.co.uk -). Although they have a habit of scratching your screen.. Quality testing apparently. My L920 has two light scratches but barely noticeable. If it was id have gone ballistic.

The problem with buying carrier branded phones outright is that they still control the updates, as what you are essentially doing is sim unlocking. Unless you flash a unbranded rom for your country.

Edit: double post as wpcentral app was being awkward with the quotes.

LiveTilesRus

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
As you said, "try". My AT&T branded & subsidized HTC One is legitimately unlocked. And I have android 4.3 running on it while AT&T is still dragging their feet on 4.1.

I personally don't buy the urban legend that firmware updates are slowed by carrier testing. The carriers are too cheap to do real testing. Updates are delayed for one reason. Costs.

All you have to do is look back at the devices released with bugs. My Droid DNA on V had a bug where the wifi mobile hotspot would periodically drop out (meaning connected devices would lose connectivity). This bug was 100% repeatable and 100% persistent. Only took 5 minutes on hotspot for the problem to occur. Brian Klug from anandtech feels the same (via tweet) since mobile hotspot isn't working on his at&t review unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss