live tiles stopped updating on my lumia 920

cgooge14

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine have stopped working too...trying to find a good solution. AT&T customer care via Twitter was no help. She asked me to remove the battery and at that point I knew I would have to figure it out another way :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's absolutely doing my head in now. I have to manually open each app to get the live tile to update and that is just ridiculous.

I've disabled and re-enabled live tile apps, I've gone into app settings to make sure everything is ok and I'm not sure what more I can do.

I'm not prepared to perform a hard reset as many people have tried this and the problem doesn't get resolved or comes back within a few days.

Surely MS can release an app that could tell users which app is likely to be causing the problem and recommend steps to resolve it. Even if the third party or built-in feature/app has to be removed or disabled, at least users would be able to come up with workarounds or compromises.

It's this kind of thing (amongst others) that is going to ultimately decide whether I spend nearly ?600 on a 1020. As much as I would love to get my hands on a camera that is capable of taking the kind of images I captured on my 808, the bugs and issues on WP8 are making me think twice.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site

Yes read his post and mine a few below it. Basically you need to go into all of your apps and make sure you disable any live tile, background agent functions in each app you have that you DO NOT want running or they take up one of a fixed number of background task slots, too many of which render them all more or less dead unless you open them manually. Even if you have apps blocked on the background tasks section they may still cause this issue. Not to mention some apps don't give you the option to block them so they are automatically taking up a slot unless uninstalled or manually turned off inside the app. Try to keep the number of apps running live tiles, background agents, etc to 15 or less. Once you get below the appropriate number, the tiles and such will come back to life and work great.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I have read your post before.

It would be great if MS or a third party developer could implement an app that could tell you how many apps as well as list the names of all apps that are set to run background tasks/live tile updates.

It would certainly make troubleshooting a whole lot easier.

Totally agree, they do need to make the live tile/background task system more robust and give users the ability to more easily fix this, but making it more foolproof and self-repairing would be more ideal. The user should have to figure the problem out. Maybe a notification that tells users when they are reaching the maximum recommended agents or something, and telling them how to shut others down to ensure reliable function would help.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have read your post before.

It would be great if MS or a third party developer could implement an app that could tell you how many apps as well as list the names of all apps that are set to run background tasks/live tile updates.

It would certainly make troubleshooting a whole lot easier.

I agree, seems like an app could be created that would be capable of doing that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss