live tiles stopped updating on my lumia 920

gnskelton

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone having the issue of app live tiles not updating? They will update when you open the app. This just started recently. The last apps I installed where the Bing apps. Weather, Finance, News and Sports. They updated at first then all live app tiles stopped updating. I have uninstalled the apps but still my others apps such as Battery and Wpcentral don't update.

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Shut down the phone and start it up again. Do not force reboot it with the buttons on the side.

That works for me when tiles goes on strike ;)

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Add me to the list...

Live Tiles downed tools yesterday and refuse to co-operate since. I've checked background tasks and everything looks fine in there. Opening the apps themselves does not fix the problem although some tiles to update as a result. However, they go back to failing to update automatically afterwards.

I've rebooted the phone a number of times and as someone else suggested on another thread, cleared out IE cache.

It may well be related to a recent app update but there's a been a few. It may also be down to lack of free space as I only have about 400mbs of space left. Think I'll see if things improve by deleting a couple of playlists.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
What fixed it for me, when reboots didn't work, is slowly uninstalling apps that run in the background. I believe I found one app, or many, that the OS either got stuck on or the app didn't update properly. These were apps that had been blocked from running in the background.

Once I removed a few apps I didn't care about, all of my live tiles started working again.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem, what I found by trial and error was the Facebook beta app, after the last update to that app all of my tiles stopped updating, the way I found it was causing the problem was I thought about WHEN did the problem start and what apps I had download or updated from around that time, then removed each one, one by one checked if tiles started working, if not reinstalled said app and went to the next one until I found the one causing the problem, finally found it was the Facebook beta app, when I removed it tiles started working like they should, it was a pain in the rear of course, I suggest you think about WHEN they stopped and try to correlate to that time to any app updates since that time or new apps you might have installed

Last edited:

FBirraque

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Anyone having the issue of app live tiles not updating? They will update when you open the app. This just started recently. The last apps I installed where the Bing apps. Weather, Finance, News and Sports. They updated at first then all live app tiles stopped updating. I have uninstalled the apps but still my others apps such as Battery and Wpcentral don't update.

+1

Windowlino

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Same for me. Only eMail/SMS/PhoneCall tiles are still working. Fortunately! All other live tiles (calendar, battery) stopped working. Even after Soft Resetting.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
This just happened to me on my 521. Bing News and Weather wouldn't update unless I opened them up and Sports didn't seem to update at all. I still got notifications of SMS and e-mail. It happened right after I reset using the Volume-Down/Power button combo. Today, I shut it down with just the Power button, then started it back up again and they all seem to be working again.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I deleted a few apps...MS's YouTube one plus a couple of others that I wasn't using. Left the phone charging through the night and a couple of tiles updated...some didn't. It's been a bit sporadic since which is a lot better than none of them working at all I suppose!

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Like a few others have said, I shut off the phone for a little while (not soft reset, properly shut down) and it looks like my tiles are working again. I'd suggest it to everyone else before the inconvenience of uninstalling apps.

sirgrant618

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, 3 years into an OS and they (MSFT) still hasn't been able to get live tiles to work properly. They all work fine on Windows 8. It appears Windows 8 has a clause that auto-updates all the tiles as soon as you turn on your machine, not just a set interval. I think that's what REALLY needs to happen so that the live tile data is always up to date.

My live tiles stop updating after about 24 hours. So I uninstall my weather app, soft reset, install the weather app again, reboot, and then they'll work for another 24 hours. Ridiculous.

FWIW: Weather apps are the worst offenders. All my apps seem to update one I uninstall whatever weather app I'm using that week. I really feel like Nokia could do a better job with deeper access to the hardware.

Windowlino

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Same for me. Uninstalling Bing Apps and restarting made them work again.
Strange...

Not sure if it realy solved my problem. Looks as if most tiles still don't update... Have to continue observing...

Last edited:

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Just an update, live tiles are working again after a simple restart (turn off, turn on). Hope folks that are having this issue try the simple solution first.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
There was a possible solution posted in the 928 forum that worked for me. The Nokia app called App Social seemed to be a culprit. Once I uninstalled that app and rebooted (I don't know if a reboot is really needed) all my Bing apps and Me tile started working again.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
More issues this weekend.

This really sucks and imho, it's a huge down point on the OS. Live Tiles that fail to be live are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb