Random battery drain getting out of hand now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
When you have to replace a phone six times for various reasons its obvious the problem is with the phone. If I'm paying you over a thousand damn dollars a year I shouldn't have to spend countless hours trying to get the phone to do what it's supposed to do. Also, four out of the six phones were taken to a service center where they confirmed the problem was with the devices. Or do you suppose I should have jumped over the counter put on a tech uniform and reprogrammed the OS and repaired the hardware?

This is not my first damn phone, only the first one with this many problems,and apparently I'm not the only one!

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site

Umm im sorry there is no way you get that much out of your battery without a charge of some sort. Sorry you fool no one.

On standby? Easy. Because you can't doesn't make it impossible. I'll make sure to screenshot it for you when it happens on this charge.

When you have to replace a phone six times for various reasons its obvious the problem is with the phone. If I'm paying you over a thousand damn dollars a year I shouldn't have to spend countless hours trying to get the phone to do what it's supposed to do. Also, four out of the six phones were taken to a service center where they confirmed the problem was with the devices. Or do you suppose I should have jumped over the counter put on a tech uniform and reprogrammed the OS and repaired the hardware?

This is not my first damn phone, only the first one with this many problems,and apparently I'm not the only one!

Or is it? You can look at the other way arround. Replace the phone 6 times and you might want to check if you are the problem. After all, what are the odds of 6 phones having the same defect?

People don't even use their heads before coming here or any other forum crying about things.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Or is it? You can look at the other way arround. Replace the phone 6 times and you might want to check if you are the problem. After all, what are the odds of 6 phones having the same defect? .

It's not the Phones, it's the OS. And what can he to do them, put them on fire and play football?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For a long time I thought games were the culprit behind the excessive drain. But I've since cut down on the gaming and the problem continues to crop up. My conclusion is that it's a fundamental problem with the OS itself. My most recent incidents followed use of the camera (standard app), browsing the web, the WP Central app, and Xbox Live. So it's pretty random. These last few times I was lucky enough to catch the phone running warm before the battery had drained completely. A soft reset always fixes the problem unless you go back to using apps.

If I had to guess, apps don't properly clear out and something gets stuck consuming CPU cycles. The weird thing is that many of these apps don't cause the phone to run hot when you're using them, so I'm not sure why it would get worse when the device is idle. Whatever the problem is, it must go deep. Microsoft probably hasn't found the culprit and if they have it must be incredibly difficult to fix, otherwise they'd have fixed it by now.

The thing that bothers me is that these problems are causing excessive wear on the battery. So eventually battery life is going to suck and there really won't be anything you can do about it short of taking the phone apart to replace the battery.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I've replaced six phones for software or hardware issues, I have better things to do than Microsoft's and Nokia's job. Maybe if they spent more time improving their user experience and implementing innovative features, and less time trying to win the unimportant smartphone camera race, they would have more of a market share by now.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
This happens to my moms' 920. At first I didn't believe her as this was her first smartphone coming from a feature phone. Unfortunately after the replacement device she complained again so I actually switched out phones with her for a week and lo and behold...there is definitely something wrong with the device. I turned off all background tasks, WiFi, rarely used the lte data, NFC is off and all backups are turned off. Some days I got 6-9 hours...some days I got 12-19 hours of regular use.

It is kind of insane...and I'm starting to think this is an OS bug rather than a hardware failure. I bought my mom a L520 and she has been satisfied with it the last couple of weeks. And the battery lasts twice as long.

When the official gdr2 release comes out for the 920, I plan on wiping the device and install the rom and see if that clears up the intermittent battery problem. -as installing OS revisions on top of one another (upgrades) can cause complications/bugs to occur...Sometimes wiping the device and flashing the OS on a clean flash fixes complications.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You may be having some random app installed on the phone, location may be on besides there are lots of tips and tweaks that can be switched off, but if left on they chew up battery like a hungry monster.
I understand your frustration and offered a generic solution to a generic problem, could offer a detailed solution if the problem is described clearly.

Try to turn off
-Skydrive auto upload
-Location services
-Brightness set it to low
-Switch Off Tap + Send (Am not sure if 520 has it)
-Switch off Wifi & Bluetooth

Now try to activate them one by one and zero in on the thing thats eating the battery, also check background apps, there might be some app which you love to have but hogs battery.

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Had this problem thrice in past 15 days. Nearly 60% drain in less than an hour. Nokia Care guy told me to get my phone firmware re installed, but i didn't give it to him to lose all my data. If it occurs again, i might get a fresh install from Nokia Care done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs