Any way to get [true] bing maps back?

oranjoose

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I switched to WP8 from WP7 a few weeks ago, but I can't help but notice that Here Maps is inferior to Bing Maps from WP7, which is an upsetting surprise.

For instance, on multiple occasions already it won't find the same restaurants that Bing Maps was able to find. Even more troubling, Here Maps will sometimes find a business, but it will cite its location as somewhere totally wrong. However, bing.com/maps and maps.google.com both correctly report the location of that business.

Is there a map app that uses Bing Maps data and not Nokia's Here Maps data?

Thank you

oranjoose

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt suggestions!

I searched before and found Bing Maps but it says right in the description of the app that it uses the Here Maps data, so I didn't bother.

Here are my updates and conclusions about these apps:

For these 3 locations: a major gardening company, a local restaurant called Bombay Caf?, and a local chiropractor, I used Here Maps, Google Maps+, and the built-in, but hidden, Bing Maps (revealed through the Bing Maps app in the marketplace).

From Here Maps,
The gardening company was not found, Bombay Caf? through the maps to India, and the chiropractor was found by the location was totally off.

From Bing Maps
Every location was found, and in the correct location, and furthermore they were found immediately. The major caveat is that it took 15, count 'em, 15 seconds to find directions.

From Google Maps+,
Every location was found, and in the correct location. However, it took around 5 seconds to find the locations, and for whatever reason, it would zoom out to the worldview and show other places around the world with the same name, even though I started zoomed into the correct frame of reference! Very cumbersome.
Google Maps+ doesn't have directions as a built-in functionality, but instead asks if you want to use Bing Maps or Here Maps. If you choose Bing Maps, it's the same 15 second ordeal. If you choose Here Maps, interestingly, it will be passed the correct mailing address (so that Here Maps doesn't fail to find the business). Here Maps then proceeds to calculate directions. All told, Google Maps+ opening Here Maps and Here Maps finding directions takes under 3 seconds. However, and a big however, Here Maps calculates directions so quickly that it doesn't bother first making sure that my phone's location has been found. Therefore, it will calculate directions from an inaccurate starting point. When this happens, you have to manually have it calculate directions again from the correct GPS position.

In conclusion, Here Maps is bad at finding places but speedy at calculating directions, Bing Maps is good at finding places, but bad at calculating directions quickly, and Google Maps+ is good at finding places, but is really cumbersome to work with in order to go from finding a place to finding directions.

Well, at least I can now find these places with an app...

Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs