NFC Tags - Is windows phone 8 far behind (NFC Technology)

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
NFC Tags - Windows Phone Os Far Behind

Nokia lumia 920 has nfc technology in it and nfc tags are currently one of the best accessories to make use of this technology along with the other uses of nfc like sharing ,connecting to nfc enabled speakers etc.
NFC tags help smartphone users to toggle their profile settings seamlessly and perform multiple actions by swiping their phones over the tags.
There are many practical uses of NFC and its very helpful in automating our daily tasks .
But due to the policies in windows phone os, i am wondering how we can make use of this technology to automate things using nfc tags eventhough there are quite a few apps to write nfc tags in store.

First and foremost the confirmation prompt for toggling the settings is not helping the cause of nfc tags.
Secondly the absence of automating multiple tasks for windowsphone using store apps is resulting in cutting down the benefits of nfc tags.

Due to the above points currently nfc tags are increasing the steps to perform tasks in windows phone wherein apps like task launcher in android is able to do wonders for smartphone users.

Is microsoft working towards removing the prompt screen and is it possible for windows phone 0S to support multitasking of nfc tags.

Can we expect any improvements in feature ?

Pls vote for this in below link if you feel its required. There are close to 2000 votes now.

NFC tagg system changes

Some articles showing the practical uses of nfc for smartphone users are listed here for reference.
How to make tags with Multiple Actions
15 Creative And Useful Ways To Use NFC Tags With Your Phone - trendblog.net

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah,nokia is really trying hard by bringing in apps accessories like nfc writer,DT 910,900 ,CR 200.
But windows policies and security restrictions are not helping nfc in the larger scale.
lets hope nokia's efforts in nfc doesn't go in vain .

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Have any one used nfc tags with wp8 . If yes, then can u pls share the best implementation methods possible currently with windows phone.
Currently i use it to do below activities but still figuring out if i m missing any thing better than these.
1.Open Here drive
2.Send message to a contact
3.Initiate calls
4.Open website.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
As for those automating apps, Microsoft may not allow them due to security restrictions.
Microsoft has made really brain-dead decisions for Windows Phone in the name of security (no email image auto-load, anyone?). They annoyingly restrict all users in some aspects, then omit features which prevent the platform from being deployed in business anyway. I don't see why a tag shouldn't be able to perform actual actions, and many of them at that. If someone has my phone and my tag, I've got bigger things to worry about than my WiFi going off.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has made really brain-dead decisions for Windows Phone in the name of security (no email image auto-load, anyone?). They annoyingly restrict all users in some aspects, then omit features which prevent the platform from being deployed in business anyway. I don't see why a tag shouldn't be able to perform actual actions, and many of them at that. If someone has my phone and my tag, I've got bigger things to worry about than my WiFi going off.

Two things, No image auto load is to prevent exploits that hide threats in images and the same thing happens in Outlook and the Windows 8 Mail apps for the same reason and Microsoft are going to be releasing an Enterprise feature pack which should help deployment in businesses.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I believe you are being very short-sighted. I can tell you are an Android user by your statements. Its those same security restrictions that will eventually allow WP to catch up to Android. Currently, Android has to be heavily customized and locked down before it can be introduced into any sensitive environments (ie: enterprise / government). Granted it's "openness" makes it a great consumer platform but the potential downsides are too much for it to be a serious contender in the business and government environments.

Getting back on topic. NFC tags are a cool technology but the potential for abuse is too high for it to be nothing more than a novelty at this time.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is a very closed-minded and uneducated statement. The "restrictions" that you are not used to, since obviously you come from Android, are in the name of security, the major area where Android is a huge failure. It isn't necessarily a matter of whether someone has your phone or not. NFC tags can be hidden just about anywhere. Without the prompt, you could set your phone down on a book (just one example), not knowing that the tag is in the book, and it will execute. Without a restriction to keep tags or links from making changes to your OS, who knows what's going on in your phone. Making the user accept the contents of a tag just plain makes sense.

Now I would say that there is room for improvement. For example, why not have an option that if a tag is accepted once, then it is accepted every time (user controllable option - can turn this off)? That makes sense to me. But no one said that the current NFC implementation is a final product from MS. But for the system settings to be changed? I'm in agreement with their implementation unless they do implement something like I've suggested.

Two things, No image auto load is to prevent exploits that hide threats in images and the same thing happens in Outlook and the Windows 8 Mail apps for the same reason and Microsoft are going to be releasing an Enterprise feature pack which should help deployment in businesses.
Also, no image auto-load reduces data use. I usually don't download images, and I appreciate that they don't auto load, for both your stated reason and mine. :wink:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Two things, No image auto load is to prevent exploits that hide threats in images… Microsoft are going to be releasing an Enterprise feature pack which should help deployment in businesses.
Outlook.com doesn't do this, or at least has a trusted list. But sure, maybe Microsoft should disable internet connectivity altogether to prevent exploits. And you're telling me Microsoft is apparently so progressive in security features that it has blocked email images for 3 years but still hasn't gotten around to adding VPN support?

I can tell you are an Android user by your statements.
since obviously you come from Android
Cute. You're both dead wrong, congratulations.

Also, no image auto-load reduces data use. I usually don't download images, and I appreciate that they don't auto load, for both your stated reason and mine.
Ever heard of… choice? It's a beautiful thing.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have really been disappointed with NFC in Windows Phone. I have a couple of Nokia devices that I can use NFC to pair to, but I do that once and they are paired. It isn't that hard to pair manually anyways. When I heard NFC was going to be on the 920 I was excited, but I am unable to do any of the things Android can do. That one feature is not important enough for me to switch to Android at this point, but I would still like to have it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I consider it a start. Surely there is more functionality coming. For one thing, the NFC API is open for developers to use, so there's the question of what can come based on creativity of the devs. Nokia has a challenge on their DVLUP site (kind of a game/rewards thing for developers) to create a game using NFC, and another one to implement NFC in your existing game. I'm not a game dev, and don't view myself creative enough so I haven't bothered to read the details, but I know the challenges are there. Not only that, but almost certainly Microsoft as well as Nokia are working on further advancements in the functionality. I'm going to guess that whatever they come up with, though, it's going to keep the phone's security as a top priority.

The way I understand it, NFC isn't just a way to store data and pass it to a device. I could be wrong, as I haven't studied it, but the way I understand it, you could actually store an executable program in an NFC chip, so yes, security is important.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I consider it a start. Surely there is more functionality coming. For one thing, the NFC API is open for developers to use, so there's the question of what can come based on creativity of the devs. Nokia has a challenge on their DVLUP site (kind of a game/rewards thing for developers) to create a game using NFC, and another one to implement NFC in your existing game. I'm not a game dev, and don't view myself creative enough so I haven't bothered to read the details, but I know the challenges are there. Not only that, but almost certainly Microsoft as well as Nokia are working on further advancements in the functionality. I'm going to guess that whatever they come up with, though, it's going to keep the phone's security as a top priority.

The way I understand it, NFC isn't just a way to store data and pass it to a device. I could be wrong, as I haven't studied it, but the way I understand it, you could actually store an executable program in an NFC chip, so yes, security is important.

Or a link to a malicious web site that does some bad mojo

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

You understand it wrong. NFC can hold a maximum of 32 kilobytes. Not much you can do with that...

NFC has been approved for usage by both Mastercard and Visa, and these payment terminals are common in the UK at many large retailers. I doubt that they ignored security.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You understand it wrong. NFC can hold a maximum of 32 kilobytes. Not much you can do with that...

NFC has been approved for usage by both Mastercard and Visa, and these payment terminals are common in the UK at many large retailers. I doubt that they ignored security.

You'd be surprised at what you can do with such a small amount of storage. I wrote programs on a computer with 16K in 1980. There are still contests today to see who can come up with the most impressive use of 48K. Do not underestimate what can be done with 32K.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12