Duplicate photos in camera roll

ksssksss

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I made a factory reset from the system, no hard reset. And that solved the problem, at least for now. Seems that something is cashed, and won't go away. For music, there we can delete the files in the hidden folders, and that seems to solve most of the problems.

altafmahmood

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I too had the same problem Microsoft informed me that it happens due to corrupt memory card. Best way is to do a hard reset. It will solve the problem.

Sent from my L620 using Tapatalk

Pranav Vaidya

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Found a workaround for that DUPLICATION PROBLEM...
In my case the files in MEMORY CARD were getting duplicated. Searched online for solution and only thing they said was to Reset.
BUT...what I did was,
Turn off my Lumia.
Remove SD Card.
Insert it into another phone (Non-Windows).
You will see a folder named WPSystem on SD Card.
Delete that folder.
Re-insert in my Lumia.
Wait for some time while the configuration file is re-created.
At least for me that solved the problem.
Cheers!!!

rajamass

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Will deleting hidden WPSystem folder causes any data loss like songs deletion etc, I hope its just a data base file .db)

I my case in Lumia1520, same problem, I changed the photos saving option to Phone

still getting the same

so I guess nothing to do with the SD card

Andrew_12191a

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Will deleting hidden WPSystem folder causes any data loss like songs deletion etc, I hope its just a data base file .db)

I my case in Lumia1520, same problem, I changed the photos saving option to Phone

still getting the same

so I guess nothing to do with the SD card

You're right, it has nothing to do with the sd-card.

I have a question for you: did you also stored music on your phone or sd-card? Are there any duplicates in your music library?

Edmond Gozo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I started getting duplicate music just last week, after I synced new songs. Since then, I also get duplicate/multiple photos in my Camera Roll folder, and most recently, multiple videos (shows that I copied to the SD card via USB cable). Seems like might have been the sync (through Win Media Player) that started the SD card problems.

I'm on an 820, Lumia Black update, saving to a PNY 32GB class 10 SD card.

Andrew_12191a

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I started getting duplicate music just last week, after I synced new songs. Since then, I also get duplicate/multiple photos in my Camera Roll folder, and most recently, multiple videos (shows that I copied to the SD card via USB cable). Seems like might have been the sync (through Win Media Player) that started the SD card problems.

I'm on an 820, Lumia Black update, saving to a PNY 32GB class 10 SD card.
So I think it's quite sure that some music-files causes the duplicate-error in the photos library too.
Have you checked if you added some new music with cover-art in it? Did you have cover-art in any music-files before also?

ogeer

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok, here is my two bobs worth... I recently also started getting the photo duplication (on 820), eventually started googeling for solutions and trying stuff myself. A new photo in the camera roll appears to duplicate itself when Nokia Camera is restarted and a new photo taken. If I take two photos in sequence only the last photo is duplicated when Nokia Camera is restarted.
Auto backup settings make no difference. But here is the thing, the problem does not exist if I take photos with the original on-board camera, ONLY with Nokia Camera, hence the duplication issue only started when I installed Nokia Camera... so I'm thinking it maybe a Nokia problem, maybe due to the fact that the original camera app can't be deleted and there is a duplication of camera apps? People using Nokia Camera, or do you also have this problem with the on-board camera?

Edmond Gozo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes and yes -- previously had music with album and artist art before, and the new songs did too.

But I've gotten duplicate music files before and did a full SD card copy-erase-recopy to get rid of the music duplicates and it worked, and didn't cause any photo or video duplication.

But this time around, my photos are multiplying -- like some others, it happens when I take a new picture or edit an existing one.

Could it have been caused also by updates to the camera app? I saw that Nokia Camera Beta recently updated. Or maybe Storyteller -- that had some issues in one release.

A couple of questions more -- I'm thinking of formatting the SD card using PC not my phone. What formats does WP8 support -- FAT32, exFAT, NTFS?

Last question -- since the WP Central guys are tight with Microsoft and Nokia, could you please please please bug them about this file management bug? Please? :)

Edmond Gozo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ogeer, I'm thinking along the same lines. Have you tried uninstalling Nokia Camera?

I just tried this: open Nokia Camera, and even without taking a picture, hit the back key. When I go into Camera Roll, there are duplicates already.

So Nokia Camera is very likely part of the problem. Maybe because it saves files in a buffer of sorts for the reframing or best shot functions. But it can't purely be Nokia Camera's fault because the duplicate videos showed up when I transferred them onto the phone via USB. Unless the file system has already been affected by Nokia Camera.

Last edited:

ogeer

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, un-installed and re-installed. Same problem. Now have defaulted back to original camera, and am not sure what I will do with the Nokia Cam? Keep for special occasions?

Edmond Gozo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Did you try keeping it uninstalled for a while and see if duplicates show up at all with Nokia Cam off your system?

Yeah, too bad, Nokia Cam is (was) much better than the stock camera because of the controls and features, but I've switched back to stock camera as well.

Have you tried other imaging apps from Nokia? Just remembered that I got duplicate cinemagraphs as well. Will try Nokia Panorama and see.

Update: Okay, tried a Cinemagraph and the app immediately created two cinemagraphs in the Camera Roll. Tried Panorama, and no duplicate panorama, just one.

Last edited:

ogeer

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't seem to have an issue with Panorama.
I'll see how I go with just Camera and Nokia Camera installed but not as default, before un-installing Nokia Camera altogether.

ogeer

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
And yes, Nokia Camera will create a duplicate of the last image taken with Nokia Camera just by re-opening the app. If the last image was taken by on-board camera it does not get duplicated by Nokia Camera.

Edmond Gozo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I uninstalled Nokia Cam, and Cinemagraph is still creating duplicates. I recall both apps were recently updated, so maybe the bug was introduced there.

Will keep observing. Meanwhile, so far so good with stock cam. Hope they fix the bugs soon though, as I like the Nokia Cam app, and even Cinemagraph.

AJITH_KR

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I also facing the same problem. Lumia 625 Black Update. It is so irritating. I lost many pictues i've taken. When I try to view pictures in my phone via usb in pc (used picasa picture viewer), I found many other pictures other than the picture I have saved. it is about hundreds of gif images, jpgs of kmplayer, google, chrome, softonic, some camera pics i've taken, some pics i've downloaded in phone, many other unknown pics. they are of small size and have file names of the format "vod_thumb_" or "__utm". is it a virus or worm or something?.. or problem with my pc(win8)? any solution? Hard reset the phone (restored settings from cloud) didn't solved the problem. 123.jpg

Edmond Gozo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
There's an updated Nokia Camera BETA, which I just installed, and so far, no duplicate photos showing up. Will keep this thread updated on how that goes.

WINDOW LOVIN

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I myself have started to receive duplicate pictures, although I have had the phone since december of last year it is barely now that i am starting to get duplicates.
Not as bad as others but definetly annoying. And it is only specific pictures. I just keep deleting them. I hope Microsoft fixes this in the next 8.1 update because its pretty ridicolous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99