Glance Screen 920 vs 925 - Peek Mode With Amber Update

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
After the amber update lumia 920 displays the clock, charge ,silence /vibrate symbols on glance screen .Peek mode allows hovering the hands to show the symbols .
i have read from online links that lumia 925 is able to show the notifications too apart from these.
If it is true then why is it missing in 920 ? (Is it due to LCD vs AMOLED or higher display memory for 925)
It would be a cool feature to have in 920.
Is there a chance for notifications to appear in glance screen for 920 in the near future.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Notifications from WhatsApp,Facebook,calendar,wpcentral or any 3rd party app which are currently configurable in lockscreen itself.
Hovering to see detailed notification of certain apps would have been awesome.:smile:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
925 doesn't show app notification count, whatever is available on the 920 is the same as what available on the 925 lockscreen

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Since you've only "read it somewhere on internet on links" and haven't got pics or links for others to see, I've now moved this thread in WP8 section where Lumia 928 users can see the thread and contribute their screenshots if we can actually see all those additional icons etc that you talk about.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
since one of our 925 owners have confirmed the same , I guess we can close it here and I apologize for the wrong topic started due to incorrect interpretation of notifications from website links.
However It would be great if nokia come up with app notifications too in the glance screen that can be configured just like the lock screen.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
since one of our 925 owners have confirmed the same , I guess we can close it here and I apologize for the wrong topic started due to incorrect interpretation of notifications from website links.
However It would be great if nokia come up with app notifications too in the glance screen that can be configured just like the lock screen.

Isn't that the same as the lockscreen then?

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that the same as the lockscreen then?
In a way yes, but isn't the current glance screen too the same as lockscreen then ??
Hovering the hands in peek mode is as interesting gesture of seeing data and i feel if clock is displayed currently then why not some unattended notifications too.
Its like having an advantage of using your phone without touching it to get some info.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
The glance feature is just clock and battery... as it should be. Hence the name - Glance.
How difficult is it to push the power button to get more detailed notifications??? The mind boggles!!!!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The glance feature is just clock and battery... as it should be. Hence the name - Glance.
How difficult is it to push the power button to get more detailed notifications??? The mind boggles!!!!
consider this is a Lumia, consider Nokia had that for like since almost 5 years ago...

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Current glance feature is clock ,battery and silence/vibrate modes. But i am not sure if that's the reason for the name Glance as you have quoted.
Secondly its definitely not gonna be difficult to push power button for detailed notifications .But consider your mobile being in a desktop cradle or on a vent mount/windshield or dashboard of your car. Think about your hands being wet or not in a position to touch the screen.How easy is it to push the power button and view notifications in this case compared to hovering your hands over the phone. Since nokia has gone ahead and introduced glance feature in lumia , i guess its gonna be quite useful if they can bring in some notifications too in the glance screen.
Convenience is something that certain people care about and i guess the need and urge for it leads to innovations.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Current glance feature is clock ,battery and silence/vibrate modes. But i am not sure if that's the reason for the name Glance as you have quoted.
Secondly its definitely not gonna be difficult to push power button for detailed notifications .But consider your mobile being in a desktop cradle or on a vent mount/windshield or dashboard of your car. Think about your hands being wet or not in a position to touch the screen.How easy is it to push the power button and view notifications in this case compared to hovering your hands over the phone. Since nokia has gone ahead and introduced glance feature in lumia , i guess its gonna be quite useful if they can bring in some notifications too in the glance screen.
Convenience is something that certain people care about and i guess the need and urge for it leads to innovations.

use double tap to unlock in such a situation. Notifications are on the lockscreen, which you can wake up by double tap. Glance screen and lock screen have different aims.

njnbat

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
use double tap to unlock in such a situation. Notifications are on the lockscreen, which you can wake up by double tap. Glance screen and lock screen have different aims.
i agree double tap is there but i wish you understood the situations of hovering fingers . Windows 8.1 preview introduced the hands free swiping mode for foods & drinks app. This helps to view the recipe and cook food without touching your phone. samsung s4 shows detailed info by just hovering your fingers . Similarly there are many scenarios and situations where in people can conveniently use hovering feature and i feel its a great technology for future.
Agreed that Glance screen and lock screen have different aims , but well i don't mind using glance screen to view latest news headline or whatsapp message while having food or watching tv rather than looking at charging symbol or profile modes.
I use glance screen with peek mode and i feel its a cool feature but if provided with some configurable abilities for notifications in future , it can do wonders for many out there.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
really amazed by people that actually defend the missing notifications...

Not missing. They were never meant to be on the 'Glance' screen. Why replace the lockscreen with a dimmed version of the..... the lockscreen.

As I said.. the mind boggles!!!!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Geddeeee... These are not missing, since they were never there. If the glance screen were not introduced, we wouldn't be having a discussion about something missing from the glance screen, right?

Here's a thought - There is an API to send information to the lock screen, because Microsoft gave this flexibility to the developers. But I am not aware of an API to retrieve information from the lock screen. And since my app that uses Lock Screen Notifications doesn't send information to a glance screen, and the glance screen doesn't have a way to retrieve info from the lock screen...... It looks like that information won't be on the glance screen. And if Nokia made an API for the glance screen to receive notifications, that would add more work for developers, to send their info to a glance screen.... And also to handle the error that would occur if the phone didn't have one, or if it was turned off......

So basically the only way for this to work with any consistency at all is for MS to make an API that allows the glance screen to retrieve info from the lock screen. And no, I am not suggesting that they do this right now, as it is not a missing API - it is an idea that had no need until now. So MS didn't foresee Glance. Do they need a new crystal ball? Or do they need to keep doing what they are doing, and providing improvements that actually improve instead of adding another perceived "needed" feature?

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Geddeeee... These are not missing, since they were never there. If the glance screen were not introduced, we wouldn't be having a discussion about something missing from the glance screen, right?

Here's a thought - There is an API to send information to the lock screen, because Microsoft gave this flexibility to the developers. But I am not aware of an API to retrieve information from the lock screen. And since my app that uses Lock Screen Notifications doesn't send information to a glance screen, and the glance screen doesn't have a way to retrieve info from the lock screen...... It looks like that information won't be on the glance screen. And if Nokia made an API for the glance screen to receive notifications, that would add more work for developers, to send their info to a glance screen.... And also to handle the error that would occur if the phone didn't have one, or if it was turned off......

So basically the only way for this to work with any consistency at all is for MS to make an API that allows the glance screen to retrieve info from the lock screen. And no, I am not suggesting that they do this right now, as it is not a missing API - it is an idea that had no need until now. So MS didn't foresee Glance. Do they need a new crystal ball? Or do they need to keep doing what they are doing, and providing improvements that actually improve instead of adding another perceived "needed" feature?

Obviously it's not missing...it would be a nice addition. And of course the API isn't there right now, but I think people are describing what they might want in a future update to glance (with GDR3 or blue for the apis). Just look at the moto x active display. It shows notifications and you can jump straight to notifications without unlocking your screen first. Pretty cool.

Doesn't mean Nokia has to do the same thing, but in it's current state, glance is pretty basic...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos