How about Windows phone version of this beautiful phone?

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope we all remember a Nokia flagship from the past: the N97.
If you don't, go check it out here: Nokia N97 - Full phone specifications

When I first saw that phone, I was really amazed by the grandeur it displayed. A magnificent front, and a back with a kickstand. But of course, the main point of attraction was the slide out QWERTY keyboard. I have really been a big fan of this design (and the slightly revised version: the n97 mini) ever since it came out. I really have been having cravings for a windows phone like this.

Maybe Nokia could reuse a little of its past. Take that magnificent Symbian phone and reskin it with Windows phone :)
And the heavenly slide out Qwerty!
Too bad no one save for blackberry (which I would never, NEVER buy) now makes phones with real keyboards.

What are your thoughts about the N97 WP version? Would you like a hardware qwerty windows phone? Would you like a Lumia like the N97?
I sure would :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never been a fan a sliders. I had an E62 and an E71 then switched to BlackBerry (9000/9700).

I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.

I don't see a big market for physical keypad devices. There are a few Android devices with physical keypads (Motorola makes some), but they aren't big sellers.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would never use a device with a physical keypad again, since I've gotten used to touchscreen devices and prefer them.

This was the thing with this form factor! It was all touch screen if you wanted, and a physical keyboard was there if you needed it! It was kinda the best of both worlds, compromising a little bit on thickness though.

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I've never been a fan a sliders. I had an E62 and an E71 then switched to BlackBerry (9000/9700).

I don't see a big market for physical keypad devices. There are a few Android devices with physical keypads (Motorola makes some), but they aren't big sellers.

There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I would vote for a remake of the N900 as a WP :smile:

Yeah I get that :)
The N900 was one hell of a device! And that Maemo...i feel bad that Nokia abandoned it. But here we are with Windows Phone now and I love it more than any other mobile OS ;)

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
There is always going to be that segment of the market that wants the physical keyboard on their phone, but I think it's getting smaller and smaller. I think many of the previous QWERTY keyboard lovers have accepted the reality of all touch as devices with keyboards are getting harder and harder to find.

Hardcore texters like me ;)

And it served as a great kickstand too! :D

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
A few years back MSFT put a patent on interchangeable sliding covers. One was a keyboard, one was a game controller, etc. They need to dust that off as it would likely be a good selling feature.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I may be used to using the touchscreen on the nokia 928, but I hate the fact that half the screen disappears when the keyboard pops up. QWERTY sliders are superior because it makes you get full use out of your screen at all times. I wish they made an HTC Arrive 2 because I would have bought that.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I get that :)
The N900 was one hell of a device! And that Maemo...i feel bad that Nokia abandoned it. But here we are with Windows Phone now and I love it more than any other mobile OS ;)

Yup! It also came with a nifty little kick stand :cool: I think the whole package (N900 and Maemo) was extremely underrated and under appreciated. Anyway, my N900 is still my go to back up phone, always kept charged and in the bottom of the bag.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup! It also came with a nifty little kick stand :cool: I think the whole package (N900 and Maemo) was extremely underrated and under appreciated. Anyway, my N900 is still my go to back up phone, always kept charged and in the bottom of the bag.

I wish I could a N900 in reality :)
There was a certain beastly appearance in the old Nokia flagships.

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I may be used to using the touchscreen on the nokia 928, but I hate the fact that half the screen disappears when the keyboard pops up. QWERTY sliders are superior because it makes you get full use out of your screen at all times. I wish they made an HTC Arrive 2 because I would have bought that.

Slider qwerty (with that Nokia tilt) was such an innovative design...i wonder why would people not like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb