Go smartphones - used without data plans with a contract sim?

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a non-smart phone right now running off a 2-year at&t contract plan with voice but no data plan.

Can I keep the contract plan and use my new Lumia 520 Go phone on the same contract plan, still without a data plan? I want to keep my current family voice contract plan cause it's super cheap and don't need data.

Thanks.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If AT&T can't recognize your phone as known smartphone, you can add it without problem. However, if your phone is recognized by AT&T as smartphone, you will receive a SMS from AT&T and tell you that they will add data plan to your account. AT&T keeps a database of IMEI numbers of all the smartphones it sells (and sometimes, a few from other carriers as well).

chocolateyum

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
If AT&T can't recognize your phone as known smartphone, you can add it without problem. However, if your phone is recognized by AT&T as smartphone, you will receive a SMS from AT&T and tell you that they will add data plan to your account. AT&T keeps a database of IMEI numbers of all the smartphones it sells (and sometimes, a few from other carriers as well).

Interesting. Well, I specifically bought an AT&T go phone so I'm sure mine won't work.

I wish I knew which carrier phones could escape AT&T's detection though. My mom really wants to do the same thing. I am going to the Phillipines in March. I wonder if I got a smartphone there, I can use it here just as a voice phone/ipod in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077