Do you have random battery drain

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
It would be interesting that we start posting the suspect apps together with our reports here. I think it obviously has to do with intensive apps pushing the cpu into overheat and as we all know that is not good for batteries.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It would be interesting that we start posting the suspect apps together with our reports here. I think it obviously has to do with intensive apps pushing the cpu into overheat and as we all know that is not good for batteries.

I'm just guessing here but i'll give it a try. First time it happened to me i was checking out the Here Maps and how accurate it can locate me, played around for few minutes, drain happened after that, not sure if exactly after that but the most obvious thing i was doing.
Second time i was listening to some internet radio on Edge, even when i quit the app i've noticed that it continue to drain the same as i was still listening..
Third time it happened overnight and i have no idea what caused it. These two are also just guesses.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm just guessing here but i'll give it a try. First time it happened to me i was checking out the Here Maps and how accurate it can locate me, played around for few minutes, drain happened after that, not sure if exactly after that but the most obvious thing i was doing.
Second time i was listening to some internet radio on Edge, even when i quit the app i've noticed that it continue to drain the same as i was still listening..
Third time it happened overnight and i have no idea what caused it. These two are also just guesses.

I see. Of the things you mention, I can quite understand that streaming audio over EDGE could lead to overheating. Usually those connections which are not as fast as the phone would like result in more battery usage, and maybe overheating (it happened too with my N8). The thing is that they try to get a better connection than available and fail, but to try to improve signal they boost it. And I think that is why.
Now, theoretically this could be avoided by lowering max connection rate to EDGE/2G. I've yet to try it, as I sometimes do get 3g connections, pathetic as they might be. Give it a shot.
In any case, I still think streaming audio over mobile data over a moderate period of time is a reasoanably demanding task for any smartphone.

With the Here Maps thing it could be also due to signal boost of the GPS radio trying to pinpoint your location. I haven't had any issues with that though. But in non-wifi settings, you'd have to add the load of establishing and mantaining a mobile data connection. Which in ideal conditions could be negligible. But we know that the ideal conditions for cellphone connections seldome exist.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I keep an eye on my background tasks and have location services turned off. Unless I am using the device heavily streaming to music I'll go 2-3 days without charging.

chandu1382

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I keep an eye on my background tasks and have location services turned off. Unless I am using the device heavily streaming to music I'll go 2-3 days without charging.

2-3 days?!! which phone do you use?
with my L820, with all apps blocked for background processing, with 2G data on all the time, i barely make it to 20-22hrs (incl 6-8hrs of idle time. when i'm asleep)

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It happens a few times a week for me - I found that my battery lasts longer if I uncheck the option to have games connect with Xbox.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
It happens a few times a week for me - I found that my battery lasts longer if I uncheck the option to have games connect with Xbox.

Oh, this is a good one. I don't have many games, but that's precisely because I don't play much. I'm gonna tick that one off too. thanks

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
@ fdruid

I get what you're saying but, i'm talking about checking maps for a minute, quitting them and the phone for the next couple of hours is draining like i haven't quit Maps, same with Radio, offcourse it's fine WHILE i'm listening, but it kept going down even though i've quit it..

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
@ fdruid

I get what you're saying but, i'm talking about checking maps for a minute, quitting them and the phone for the next couple of hours is draining like i haven't quit Maps, same with Radio, offcourse it's fine WHILE i'm listening, but it kept going down even though i've quit it..

I find that it also helps to do a soft reset (vol down + power until the phone restards) every couple of days, if you want to make sure that the apps are closed for good.

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I REALLY don't want to be doing that, did i bought the phone or did phone bought me? Not even a classic restart but a soft restart? I never had to do that in any of my previous phones, not gonna start now. Just saying, not pointed at you, i know you just gave me an advice cheers.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's not related to any specific app. Some people say it's xbox, some say it's LTE, some say bluetooth, some say location, and some say background apps. It's a system issue. Doesn't matter what apps you have downloaded, any one of them can get stuck. If you want to turn EVERYTHING off, you won't have live tiles, and you'll be crippling your phone. I know it sucks, but the best thing is to use your phone how you normally use it and do a restart whenever you notice the battery drain issue.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just wanna know how it never happenes to some people, what's the deal with that?

I think it's a Lumia firmware or hardware issue. If you read some of the comments, people don't seem to be having the issue with Samsung or HTC devices. I actually originally thought it was only an issue on the Lumia 9xx phones, but seems like people with 520, 620, and 820 are having the problem as well.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just wanna know how it never happenes to some people, what's the deal with that?

Boris, I'll tell you what my usage is, maybe that will help you in your quest. I don't want to debate or argue with you, though.

First off, I don't install every app under the sun. I keep my phone pretty svelte; I want it to be the most reliable device I own. I have a laptop and an RT for when I want to go app crazy. I also limit the number of background tasks and Live Tiles I have running; I want my phone to show me the updates that I *need* on a day-to-day basis. Everything else can wait until I open the app or account. I don't install games on my phone, and it is unlocked as a developer phone as I'm a developer and I'm starting to write WP8 apps. I'm a heavy SMS, email, and OneNote user, with frequent forays into the Office hub for SharePoint needs.

I've uninstalled every AT&T and Nokia app that came on the phone. I've installed 6tag, MapQuest, Nextgen Reader, and a couple of apps I'm working on. I have two email accounts syncing "as items arrive" (work Exchange 2010 and Outlook.com), including contacts and calendars. I also have my Facebook account integrated into the People hub, although I do not use Facebook chat.

WiFi is pretty much always on. Bluetooth is not, unless I need it (for my car or whatever). Location and NFC are both off. 6tag, MapQuest, and Nextgen Reader background tasks are all off, which means their Live Tiles are also off. Feedback is off, as is Phone Update (I manually check once a week for updates).

Phone, Messaging, Exchange, Outlook.com, Calendar, People, Photos, and Marketplace are the only LiveTiles I have going, and most of those are simple "new item" counts. As I said above, everything else is information I don't need pushed to me; I'll get it when I'm ready to sit down and read Facebook updates or news articles or whatever.

Finally, I do have an Xbox Music Pass and I've matched a bunch of my music to the Xbox Cloud. I don't listen frequently on my phone, though, because I'm always at my laptop, work desktop (an iMac running Windows 8) or my Surface RT. I do listen occasionally in my car over Bluetooth, but I usually have it plugged in as well. So, that may be a wash.

I'm sure many people are going to read this and think I'm crippling my phone, but... this is the usage which works for me, and so this is the way I have it setup. I've not had any battery issues because I don't want every bit of information pushed to me all day every day. As I sit here right now it's 6:55 PM, my phone has been unplugged since 5:30 AM, I've been using the phone all day (email and SMS mostly today, with a few 6tag and Nextgen Reader runs), and I'm at 65% battery remaining.

Last edited:

Kimi Alin

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I have encountered this issue many times with my lumia 920. It happens most often after charge; battery starts to drain 10-20% per hour even without using it at all. To solve this issue I always boot the phone and it works normally after that. Some times, the battery power drained, returns (For example from 70% to 95%) and some times it doesn't. This problem occurs once or twice a week so it's quite common issue and it's annoying as hell. Amber/GDR2 didn't solve it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It would probably be value-added for people who are experiencing this battery drain issue to log a few things before they bounce the phone. I'd recommend the last app used, open and/or tombstoned apps (long-press back, list everything shown), background tasks (at least unblocked, but might be good to have blocked as well), and any system service states (WiFi, Bluetooth, Location, NFC, etc.) Of course device and OS version should be logged, too.

A thread here on WPC could be used for logging; I think that's the only way you're going to get the data you need to formally prove and get official recognition that this is an issue, especially if commonalities begin to form amongst the data.

*shrug*

Just my $.02.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the world of incredibly complicated things made by the millions as fast as they can push them out the door. If one percent of a million phones have bugs, that's 10,000 units. Nothing new, cars were likewise highly variable. That's where the term "lemon" started. The first place I would suspect in a phone with battery issues, is the battery itself. Sometimes an iPhone is sold and the battery life is terrible, so they have to exchange the whole phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett