let's talk about how intergration sucks in Windows Phone 8

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
ummm, yeah, but my point was that it's not often updated and some activity doesn't show in the feed.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, aside of the Me tile notifications, it's not supposed to update often; only when you look at it. The Me tile does, however, when it's pinned to your start screen, update.

Also, from what I've been able to discern, the "what's new" page of the People hub shows the Facebook "Top Stories" view. Not the "Most Recent" view. Which may explain why you're missing some posts.

somerandomguy1

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have mixed feelings on this thread. Yes not all applications are designed to be pushed all the time like the peoples hub BUT I feel there is a strong disconnect of the Microsoft mentality and Windows Phone. The facebook messaging abilities have been broken for months and are just getting fixed, facebook notifications even from its own beta app have delayed toast notifications and such things like simply sharing a post are missing from the news feed. I understand people's point of using the peoples hub side by side with the Facebook app but what good is a phone designed to get in and out and on with life if I find a post I want to share in the peoples hub, then go to the facebook app, go and find the exact same post and share it...

Microsoft does updates on their surface and pc line every week but Windows phone is left for half a year or so at a time for updates on core features. Hell they even refused to acknowledge things like facebook messaging was even having a problem until last week...

don't get me wrong, I love my lumia 928 it's way better than my iphone. But It feels over promised and under delivered in the social aspect of the phone. The phone is amazing at email, pictures, and searching, but facebook. twitter, and messaging are a bust at the moment until they are fixed fully in 8.1; which hopefully will not be so far behind due to it's release date NEXT YEAR that we are stuck in the same situation...

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have the 920 and I am using the facebook beta app and have that and linked in and twitter all integrated. No real issues with any of that. What apps do you have installed and which apps are allowed for background work?

JackPela

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
You are completely right and I understand every point you mentioned. It's ok that we have the People's hub and some features can only be accessed by the main app itself, but the whole problem with WP8 is that it doesnt push toast notifications for any social app, except Whatsapp. And the "me" tile gets updated constantly while on the home screen but they can't make those updates be notified as they come in?? that's a lame design/dev problem obviously... Not to mention that I can't chat with FB friends because it never connects to IM ("Can't connect to Chat/IM" issue). Hell I can't even chat with my Hotmail contacts!! It always attempts to connect but fails every single time (dont matter if I'm on 3G, Wifi, and FB is allowed on my MSFT PC profile, etc).
I know the FB app itself is really crappy but I can live with that as I have other alternatives like the People hub or FB mobile, but no FB Messenger app and no proper integration with the Messaging hub?? that is unacceptable...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Some excellent responses guys! OP, integration doesn't suck. Integration does what it is meant to do and how it is advertised - taken from Windows Phone Features (United States) - it is always how we interpret things wrongly and expect way too much that makes us unhappy.

[h=2]"All your people and all the ways you keep them close[/h][h=3]PEOPLE HUB[/h]Windows Phone is the only phone with a People Hub, where you’ll find your contacts, kick off conversations (phone, text, IM, email), check out your friends’ latest posts and photos, get to your Rooms and Groups, or even make a Skype call right from a contact card."

I don't know what Rooms and Groups are, but everything else apart from Skype was integrated on my HTC Desire from April 2010.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
do you have a windows phone?

No, but I have used one quite a lot so I am reasonably familiar with Windows Phone, and I am considering buying a Lumia (which is why I am here).
To be clear, when I say "integrated" on the HTC Desire, I mean integrated in the same app - also called "People", if I remember correctly. It was part of HTC Sense, not a generic Android app. Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, e-mail and SMS (maybe others) were included. I tried it for a few days and went back to using the separate apps. Seemed like a nice idea but didn't really work for me. If I get a Windows Phone, I'll give it another go.
Not sure if current HTC/Android phones have something similar.

Dsanders77

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
You do realise that for the most part, Twitter is the one responsible for feature deprevation on any platform other than the offical app? They have some of the most restrictive 3rd party API policies in the industry. Favoriting, and Interactions are all locked out of anything other than the offical app. That is a Twitter issue across EVERY mobile platform, and really not a WP issues at all.

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I get Facebook chat messages to my phone, with an audible beep. I also get them in the Windows 8 messaging app. If you want to just use PeopleHub instead of Facebook, you could so long as you realize it will be scaled down a lot. You actually sound a bit like my brother, who is more tech savvy than most, but came fro his iPad and BB phone. He now has a Lumia 521 he uses when he visits the US. I can't tell you how many questions I get about this feature doesn't work like I thought it would based on my previous devices- of course things work a bit different from OS to OS. I think to date, the only thing he has actually researched himself is how to buy the full Here Maps license. Everything else gets asked to me via venting about how things don't work right and just about every time I answer his question and it came down to not fully understanding how things work with WP. The exceptions are things that I know to be coming either via GDR 3 or Blue. Anyone and everyone that starts using a new OS will have to learn the new ways, but also unlearn the old expectations. I'm not saying you need to lower or raise your expectations, but understand that processes work differently.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Other problem is that MSFT doesn't have access to full Facebook APIs, so they are very limited.

This is a lot of the problem for Facebook on WP. People often say that there is an official Facebook app. There isn't. An official, or 1st party, Facebook app would come from Facebook. The Facebook app is by Microsoft. They probably have the same access to Facebook's APIs that I do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon