Microsoft's iPod killer....

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, as you all know today Microsoft make public Steve's retirement. He made a couple of changes to Microsoft which were good and others not so good. My personal disappointment has to be the end to Microsoft's 25yr flight simulator franchise. My second disappointment and the reason for this post is.... ZUNE!!! I have to be in the top 100 people that first owned a Zune player. I owned my player since day 1. First bought a 32gb one and later bought a 128gb, and later the Zune HD. The Zune HD I thought was sure to be a iPod killer. I loved almost everything of the device. There were only two things I couldn't stand about it. 1. The app store was very.... Um.... Primitive I guess.... And 2. I hated that I couldn't just plug the device to my cars stereo like I could an iPod. But 12yrs later I think Microsoft is ready for a real battle with the iPod. I believe that a device like the Lumia 925 would be a great "Xbox music player". Make a device similar to that and sell it without radio antenas, just WiFi and Bluetooth. Have it run WP8 software and have access to WP8 store. And now with GDR3 make some devices 7" or grater running WP8 and not windows 8 RT... In the end, there is so much that is like to see happen, but this post is in regards to the iPod and like I stated before, I really believe that I'm not the only one here wanting a portable device like the iPod running a version of WP8!!! What you guys think about this?

Sent from my RM-877 Tapatalk

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones in general are killing mp3 players of all kinds, have been for years now. It just doesn't make much sense anymore, ESP. will phones like 520 being so cheap.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
i dont personally know anyone at this time that actually still uses a "designated MP3 player". Everyone just uses their phones.

lerimer

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just curious...What is the difference if there is no SIM card? It would be acting the same and is a good price.

Some markets don't have the privilege of buying a cheap phone out of contract. But still a good choice to buy a phone and remove the sim.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Some markets don't have the privilege of buying a cheap phone out of contract. But still a good choice to buy a phone and remove the sim.

I guess but there usually are ways.

btw, the only reason the ipod touch is still around is that there aren't cheap, off contract iphones (latest model or two). If the new, cheaper iphone is priced low enough off contract, ipod touch's days may be over.

replay0

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Loved my Zune. It was a great product. But it came out too late when the world was already awash in iPod products. It was never going to be "successful" because of iPod saturation. I lost my Zune a few years back, tried to buy a new one with no luck. Had to buy a Sony mp3 player.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I get if people want a dedicated mp3 player, but there so many cheap phones that do the job of an ipod touch-like device would do. They just don't make sense anymore.

JoeDizzle33

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I still have a couple of ipods but they stay at home plugged into a radio. With some many music streaming services and phones with built in music players, having an iPod or other music only device doesn't seem useful anymore.

replay0

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
When I go to the gym or run on the trails, I don't want sweat mucking up my smartphone/1020. I buy a quality mp3 player for that purpose. And if I lose it, ding it up from active use, or get it stolen, it's much more easily replaceable than having to buy a new smartphone while still under contract.

I get if people want a dedicated mp3 player, but there so many cheap phones that do the job of an ipod touch-like device would do. They just don't make sense anymore.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When I go to the gym or run on the trails, I don't want sweat mucking up my smartphone/1020. I buy a quality mp3 player for that purpose. And if I lose it, ding it up from active use, or get it stolen, it's much more easily replaceable than having to buy a new smartphone while still under contract.

Which is why I said what I did. Also, a dedicated MP3 player is often smaller and lighter than a phone. iPod touch is a whole different category.

Thamuz

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
i dont personally know anyone at this time that actually still uses a "designated MP3 player". Everyone just uses their phones.

The problems is that there is no phone out there which I can put all my music on since I have about 100GB of music on my hard drive.That being said, apart from the iPod classic, there is no designated MP3 player which can take that amount of data either unfortunately :( I don't realy care about an iPod touch competitor (i.e. basically just a phone without the phone capabilities) but if Microsoft were to launch an iPod classic competitor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The problems is that there is no phone out there which I can put all my music on since I have about 100GB of music on my hard drive.That being said, apart from the iPod classic, there is no designated MP3 player which can take that amount of data either unfortunately :( I don't realy care about an iPod touch competitor (i.e. basically just a phone without the phone capabilities) but if Microsoft were to launch an iPod classic competitor, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I think you are a dying breed. I certainly understand your needs though. I just can't imagine that creating a new product line would be profitable, esp. a shrinking area of electronics.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
The problems is that there is no phone out there which I can put all my music on since I have about 100GB of music on my hard drive.

I have an old Archos 5 with 120Gb of internal storage. Plays any audio or video format under the sun -- without any conversions. However, it's neither thin nor light....I don't mind that, though.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I like the concept, I just think they'd struggle to hit the price point if releasing a new product, especially when they've got the price of the 520/521 so low due to what has to be millions being made given the global push.

Let's face it, Apple are seeing the iPod numbers tumble as people move to phones, so I can't see Nokia doing it.

Buy a 520 off contract for under around $80 if you wait for a deal and simply don't put a SIM in it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss