Transfering Playlists from Windows 8 Music App to Windows Phone

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So this is one of new features that we now have with GDR2.

Transfer playlists made in the Music app on Windows 8 to your Windows Phone. You?ll need both the latest updates for the Music and the Windows Phone app on Windows 8. Select a playlist and share with the Share charm to your phone. Currently only on x86-based devices.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Kris_C

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Well spotted. It actually works as well!
Run the Windows 8 Music app, create a playlist, select the playlist and then the share charm is in the charms that appear when you swipe in from the right hand edge (or when you put your mouse in the bottom right corner if you're not on a touch device).

It's still got a way to go but its one of the better ways to do this.

Kris_C

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You will need the Windows Phone app installed on your Windows 8 machine. It normally starts as soon as you plug your phone in to your machine. When I select a play list and click on the Share charm I get Skydrive and windows phone as the options even when the phone isn't plugged in. It will ask you to plug your phone into the PC it doesn't work over the network.

iHusky

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
So, I must have Windows Phone App and Device connected to the notebook?

Lol in Music App I can see only Skydrive and Mail

OK it`s work but We must have metro version of Windows Phone app, and I have question for Erik Walther. can you get me permission
to write this tutorial in windowsmania.pl ? It`s a Polish-Leanguage site and forum about Windows Phone.

Last edited:

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
WHOA!! I never knew what that share thing was for. INGENIOUS!! However, it doesn't seem to work for me. :unhappy: On the PC end, everything appears to work fine. I click share to Windows Phone and it pops up and says everything synced. But when I go look on my phone, no playlist shows up. :unhappy:

I can just share a song though and it syncs fine, and if I share the playlist, any new songs in the playlist will sync to my phone, just no playlist shows up.

And iHusky I have no idea what you are asking of me. How would I get you permission?

iHusky

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
But I want anserw someone first, this method isn`t good for me some songs don`t want copied to my phone and now I had trouble with doubled songs again :(

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The only issues I have with the windows 8 "metro" sync tool is being able to see what you have sync'd to your phone from your music library. I like to know what I already have on there from my desktop and what I do not. The desktop app works very well with a check box in the artist, playlist, album etc. that is sync'd between the two libraries. This is pretty cool though, its one step closer to being able to ditch ITunes :)

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You need a 32 bit version (x86), it doesn't work with 64 bit (x64). Doesn't make sense I know, but...

Not true I read somewhere that there are different versions of x86, which includes both 32 bit and 64 bit. I have a 64 bit and can sync songs using the share charm. The Windows Phone icon pops up and I've shared multiple songs to my phone and they've synced perfectly. The only thing that doesn't sync is an actual playlist. Like, all the songs in the playlist will sync, just not the playlist itself.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Not true I read somewhere that there are different versions of x86, which includes both 32 bit and 64 bit. I have a 64 bit and can sync songs using the share charm. The Windows Phone icon pops up and I've shared multiple songs to my phone and they've synced perfectly. The only thing that doesn't sync is an actual playlist. Like, all the songs in the playlist will sync, just not the playlist itself.

Your playlists won't share via the charm... for the reason that I originally said, so, yes it is true... you need an x86 Windows 8 device.

I'm not making it up, I got that directly from Microsoft in a WP Blog and later read the exact thing in an article here on WP Central.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Your playlists won't share via the charm... for the reason that I originally said, so, yes it is true... you need an x86 Windows 8 device.

I'm not making it up, I got that directly from Microsoft in a WP Blog and later read the exact thing in an article here on WP Central.

I know what you said. I was more or less posing a question because I read online that 16-bit, 32-bit, and 64-bit are all considered x86. That may or may not be true, I'm a little confused on the whole thing. If you google "x86" and look at the Wikipedia page (I know it's Wikipedia, but still) you can see examples there.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I know what you said. I was more or less posing a question because I read online that 16-bit, 32-bit, and 64-bit are all considered x86. That may or may not be true, I'm a little confused on the whole thing. If you google "x86" and look at the Wikipedia page (I know it's Wikipedia, but still) you can see examples there.

From what I understand, and that could be wrong, x86 is 32 bit while x64 is 64 bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium