09-09-2013 03:28 PM
68 123
tools
    Not using the search button is like buying a new car and not using the ac because you don't like being cold. Sometimes that feature that you don't use and ultimately ignore can really come in handy!

I use bing several times a day for all kinds of things like music searches, location searches, quick information, and quick images.
    09-04-2013 01:08 AM
    You might just have to get use to it I suppose. I personally love the button!
    09-04-2013 01:15 AM
    I like the Bing button. I no longer have the IE tile on my start screen because I make all of my search queries through the Bing button. I really hope it's evolved in 8.1 to become a universal search, then it will become super useful.
    I agree, most used feature on my phone, it can only get better from here!
    09-06-2013 09:00 AM
    when I first got my phone one of the first things I did was get the google app. Lets face it google was what I was used too on the PC. The more I started playing around with my 822 and I started to see what bing brings to WP and how the phone just benefits from bing well google has been long deleted and not used much on my PC anymore.....I use the button a lot and its not a waste its very usefull
    09-06-2013 09:18 AM
    At first it was difficult to go around it but once you get used to this you will not accidently touch it, it is a very good addition to the phones capabilities , I hope future update will bring universal search so that I can search the my phone too.
    09-06-2013 09:37 AM
    You guys have convinced me. I have started using the Bing search on the phone more and more. It does have some nice features and is quite handy
    09-06-2013 10:30 AM
    I don't see the point of this button either, since it does EXACTLY the same as if I type a search into IE, and if I want to use voice search I just hold down the Windows button. I use voice search all the time doing this, so it's not the search I don't like, it's the dedicated search button, which seems superfluous. It's the one design choice I find really baffling on WP.

OT: oh, and I finally got the new version of Bing on my phone last week. It rocks! So much better than the old one.
    09-06-2013 11:18 AM
    I don't see the point of this button either, since it does EXACTLY the same as if I type a search into IE, and if I want to use voice search I just hold down the Windows button. I use voice search all the time doing this, so it's not the search I don't like, it's the dedicated search button, which seems superfluous. It's the one design choice I find really baffling on WP.

OT: oh, and I finally got the new version of Bing on my phone last week. It rocks! So much better than the old one.
    It's not the same at all actually.
    Beast of Haeven likes this.
    09-09-2013 08:51 AM
    GUYZZZ IF WE GET RID OF THE SEARCH BUTTON THE PHONE WOUD BE LOPSIDED!!!!i
    iSicle likes this.
    09-09-2013 08:53 AM
    It's not the same at all actually.
    Care to expand on that?
    09-09-2013 12:27 PM
    Its complete waste
    09-09-2013 12:31 PM
    Care to expand on that?
    Local scout, music search, Bing vision, and Bing related news and tools are accessible through the search button. With IE you get the ability to search and visit websites...not the same at all.
    berty6294 likes this.
    09-09-2013 01:58 PM
    Local scout, music search, Bing vision, and Bing related news and tools are accessible through the search button. With IE you get the ability to search and visit websites...not the same at all.
    What he said. 😊. Pan the screen, lots of different options you don't get with just an ie search.
    09-09-2013 02:45 PM
    Ah, good point. I was specifically thinking of the Search function, since that is what the button is primarily used for, and that is what the icon on it is.
    However, those functions you mention don't appear when clicking that search button, they appear only after multiple other interactions, either swipes or clicks. They are also, IMO, accessory functions that have no place being one of only 3 hardware-designated buttons. They would work much better as simple tiles. For example, Internet Explorer, arguably the most crucial app on the phone after the basic phone functions, is a tile, not a hardware button.

It would be interesting to see how many actually use the additional swipe-screens you can access after the Search screen. I can say that in over a year and a half of owning a Windows Phone, I have used those exactly twice - when I first got the phone to look at them, and now that they were pointed out in this thread.
    Last edited by MikeSo; 09-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    09-09-2013 02:47 PM
    The issue is most of the Bing feature are disabled for most of the countries...
    09-09-2013 03:00 PM
    I started this thread because I'm one of those who dont want the Bing button, and apparently there are enough of 'us' ....... Nevertheless, we have to be realistic and after reading back all the posts, it is clear that too many users want it, so that takes care of that ........ But my main problem was and still remains, and others share this view, that something has to be done so we dont aciddentally launch Bing all the time .......... 'Learning how to hold the phone with time' as one post replied, reminds me the iPhone signal reception glitch and the tottaly unacceptable identical answer provided by Apple!!!!!! SO, long hold, doubble tap or whatever other solution should be found, and lets hope W 8.1 addresses this issue.
    09-09-2013 03:09 PM
    Its a button on the screen... it doesn't matter what button it is, your going to accidentally hit it no matter what it is. Just hit the back button and you will instantly be back at what you were doing before.
    09-09-2013 03:16 PM
    I hit the button accidentally on the 920 more than I ever did on the 900. I use it intentionally often though, along with the Unify app, which does a very good job with searching files on the phone and Google. Bing Search gets most the action though.
    09-09-2013 03:28 PM
68 123