Bing Search button, a waste?

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Why did Nokia waste one of the three keys on the front of the phone for Bing search? Is searching the web such a priority for most mobile phone users? And reading Bar codes, really how many times will the average user do this? I'm quite happy with Google search, so there goes one key I'm never using, HOWEVER, because it is there I KEEP PRESSING IT ACCIDENTALLY ALL THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a way to disable it????????????

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Evidently the WPC forum search button is also a waste? :D

No, you can not disable it. Yes, it gets in the way for a number of people. No, it does not have device-level searching and probably should.

Jan Blazek

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Why did Nokia waste one of the three keys on the front of the phone for Bing search? Is searching the web such a priority for most mobile phone users? And reading Bar codes, really how many times will the average user do this? I'm quite happy with Google search, so there goes one key I'm never using, HOWEVER, because it is there I KEEP PRESSING IT ACCIDENTALLY ALL THE TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a way to disable it????????????

+925 to improve it on the level like Spotlight in iOS.

Firenze89

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Contextualized searches depending on the app you're in would be great for sure.

But I actually find myself using music search and even visual search for QR codes more often than I thought i would. For these two, the search button is actually a speedier and way more practical solution than on any other platform imo.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Contextualized searches depending on the app you're in would be great for sure.

But I actually find myself using music search and even visual search for QR codes more often than I thought i would. For these two, the search button is actually a speedier and way more practical solution than on any other platform imo.

Agreed, i thought i would never use those two either but use them regularly. :)

Overall i like the search, its useful for me and my needs.

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I use it everyday. I bing it to work. I bing it on the court. I bing it, even though somebody else also binged it already. I bing'd home dinner tonight.This is just the bing'ining!

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, it seems some people want it, but what about relocating it so that we dont touch it whenever we reach for the phone? It is a similar problem like with the volume button, I grab my phone and lower the volume all the time!

BU2B

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I like the Bing button. I no longer have the IE tile on my start screen because I make all of my search queries through the Bing button. I really hope it's evolved in 8.1 to become a universal search, then it will become super useful.

santhosh5639

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
if the search button is enabled for searching local (phone's) sms, email, contact, music, video etc then it would be nice... first it should search the given string internally then it should search for internet.....

or in other way the search button could have been made in such a way that if i am in message, hitting the search button should search for messages only, if i am in music player it should search for musics only... so it is like application variant... if i am in the home screen then only connect to the internet for searching string.....

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I think having an independent search based on each application would be annoying unless it was incorporated the 3rs party searches.

So lets say for example, Spotify...you're in Spotify and hit search it loads the actual Spotify search that's inbuilt to the app.

If your in bing weather and you hit search, it will bring up the city search.

Then on the home screen, if you hit search it would bring up what we see now with an extra button beside "vision" that could say local/phone and that would be how we sear h the phone.

Its not a drastic difference, the onus would be on 3rd party devs to incorporate it, and Microsoft to add an extra button in the search for local.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
AND it wouldn't annoy people who currently like how the search is at thw moment because they could do one tap for in-app search, double tap for bing. :)

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I also thought it was a waste at first, but now I use it all the time. I use the QR reader too.

But I do agree that they should build on its functionality. Contextual search and a long press functionality are great ideas, I would be very surprised if MS doesn't have adding these features on their road map :D

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I fully agree with most, however the problem of launchng Bing inadvertenly is still my biggest problem with the 925 ! I keep touching the 'search' button and it keeps launcing! Whenever I use the phone, it seems that I can't help touching it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb