Bing Search button, a waste?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The accidental search button pressings is just something that happens when you first get a device with capacitive buttons. You won't do it anymore after a while. I actually find the Bing button quite useful, it helps me find somewhere to eat when I'm out late, helps me find out what song is playing, helps me find directions to where I need to go. I could go on forever about how useful it is.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why did Nokia waste one of the three keys on the front of the phone for Bing search?

Actually, I was just thinking about this; I don't believe it was Nokia's choice. I believe that if you want to build phones for Windows Phone, you are required by Microsoft to have that button.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It should be contextual like It used to Be..why would i want to bing stuff when im in a app..make It bing It only on home screen

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
The accidental search button pressings is just something that happens when you first get a device with capacitive buttons. You won't do it anymore after a while. I actually find the Bing button quite useful, it helps me find somewhere to eat when I'm out late, helps me find out what song is playing, helps me find directions to where I need to go. I could go on forever about how useful it is.
and this, use it alot and I don't need qr/soundhound app I just press search
<3 bing

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
For me, the search button is practically useless.

I'm rarely connected to the internet on my phone. The search function is only useful if (and only if) you're connected to the internet.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
I use the search button all the time. It's one of the features I missed most when I used my Android phone for awhile. Oddly enough there was a post over on Android Central talking about how someone wanted a dedicated search button back. That said I do still accidentally hit it a lot and it would be awful nice if it searched your local stuff.

Unless something has changes MS hasn't announced whether local search will be part of WP 8.1 or any other features of 8.1 really. Also, it's not Nokia as someone else mentioned it's required by Microsoft.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Also for me the search button is useless. If one day it suddenly will stop working, I don't think I would notice for weeks :p

I'm always connected to the internet but I rarely search for stuff... and the rare times I did that with the search button, I had then to switch to google (on IE) because the integrated search is too messy.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, reading how many of you claim to use the search button every day or so, I'm being curious... what kind of search do you do?

About me...
When I search for apps, of course, I use the store;
for information, generally, wikipedia;
businesses, here maps or yellow pages;
news, news apps...

For me it's very rare that I need to search for generic information to need a generic search engine (like bing or google).
Last time it was 2 weeks ago... I was searching how to manage WiFi connections on Windows 8 (because I wasn't finding the menu in network and sharing center) and I tried with the integrated bing... the results was totally confusing and mixed web pages, news and other sources I didn't care...
Switching with google on IE I was able to retrieve the result in seconds!

waeras

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I've learned to hate the search button, for three reasons mainly: accidental taps, ads before the search results, and lousy search results compared to Google.

I just wish you could change the settings for the button to either disable when in a game (hate that they're loading again when you get back to the game), or change it to double tap or tap-and-hold. And allow us to change to google or yahoo or whatever search engine one would,want yo use.

bluesman897

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I search on Bing nearly daily using the search button. I've not had any difficulty finding what I'm looking for. Every once in a long when I can't find what I'm looking for, Google does no better. Its just a hard search problem. I have asked Google search fans what the big deal was and, with a few, just did searches back to back. I nearly almost win the speed contest finding stuff. So, I'm like "meh." I don't get it. Google fans haven't been able to show me what better actually looks like on real problems.

manilabeans

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I also use the search button almost daily. I usually search for random articles on whatever topic I wanted to read up on (just earlier today I was searching about ISO/aperture/shutter speed). The QR reader has been handy on several instances while I was setting up my phone too. There are instances when some app won't appear on my Store App (maybe because of location), and the QR codes were my only recourse. It's a very nifty shortcut. Sometime I even use it just to get to IE.
Re; Bing vs Google. I have really bad experience with Google on a desktop lately so I have since switched to IE and Bing on all of my computers. Uninstalled Chrome in the process too.

arislgr

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It should be contextual like It used to Be..why would i want to bing stuff when im in a app..make It bing It only on home screen

Very good idea !!!!! make it Bing only on Home Screen!!! :smile:

And if for one reason or another, it HAS to be on the home screen, how about tapping twice to Bing? Thiw way it won't pop-up whenever it is touched!

Apply_Logic

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a better idea. Why dint the add the voice commands with the Bing search rather than press and hold the windows key.
And the can ad notification by hold down the windows key.
Wherever you are in the phone
Just like the voice command work.

jonathanbailie

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I love my Bing button... I also love being able to bring up search from whatever app I'm in. If I see something while reading in internet explorer, I can just hit the Bing search button and look it up.

The only thing I might change is having a long press feature, that will bring up a specific search function. Other than that, I love the dedicated seat h button.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Besides the core items on my phone (messaging, phone )

Bing search is my most used "app" and yes I love that button on the front. I use it about a billion times a day. From finding restaurants to looking something up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)