Bing Search button, a waste?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, reading how many of you claim to use the search button every day or so, I'm being curious... what kind of search do you do?

I search for anything that I think about, having ADHD makes it easy to search for a lot of different items.

Mostly thou, I use it for looking up restaurants instead of Yelp or Open Table.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I seriously prefer Google, because I like to filter my searches by time. I use Bing when I don't care, because the button is there

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia adds a Bing dedicated search tool to WP8 devices in the same way that Google has Google dedicated search buttons to Android devices.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I use the search app dozens of times a day. I had the Motorola X rep at my store and she asked me to scan a QR code and seemed quite surprised that I had it ready almost immediately. anytime I want to know a song I use it too. So fast. 2 things I miss tho-- the Local tab for when I need a good burger joint or are looking for a place, and I want Bing rewards integrated in WP. I would rack up soooo many points if it counted!!

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
i switched from google to bing on all my devices. back in the days, it couldn't compete google in the search result relevance, but it seems MS worked out good search algorithm as it has imrpoved a lot. no need to use scroogle anymore.

back to question, bing button is deffinitely not a waste for myself and looking forward to MS offering other bing services outside the US.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I started out similar to the OP and started out wanting Google only. The answer is simple: Resistance is futile. Just embrace it. Bing is a little different, sometimes better, sometimes worse, than Google, but overall it's adequate.

As for the barcode scanner, all smart phones these days have that functionality. What's your complaint? If you don't like it, don't use it. I use it frequently though. For instance if I read about an app that I want to try on WPCentral on my computer, there's invariable a barcode that I can scan with my phone that takes me right to the app. I'm also using MyFitnessPal to try to lose some weight, and it scans barcodes on food packaging to make entry of those items easier; just scan, confirm number of servings, and you're good to go.

I wish there was a way to disable/reassign the Bing button, but there isn't, so there ya go. Just get used to it, or get a different phone.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
2 things I miss tho-- the Local tab for when I need a good burger joint or are looking for a place...

I think it's fully integrated into regular Bing. My clothes dryer died on me yesterday (a holiday!), and I plugged "appliance parts" into Bing and it gave me local suppliers ordered closest first. I called through the list until I found one that was open on the holiday, confirmed they had the part, then clicked on the shop's address and it gave me a map showing where the shop is. If you allow Bing to use Location Services, it just assumes you want local stuff if you search for it.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Not a waste if you know how to use it properly.

Used it at least 5 times today looking for Phone Numbers for a couple of places in my hometown. Those results gave me the number for at least 4 of places directly, just had to hit the call button. The other the info was displayed did not have to leave the bing screen. Got the info that I needed.

Use it all the time when at friends house and a topic of interest comes up, While everyone else is fiddling with their phones. I just bring up bing hit speaker in search, have friends speak into phone and let bing do it thing. I love that feature.

Music Searches gotta love that has well

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use the search app dozens of times a day. I had the Motorola X rep at my store and she asked me to scan a QR code and seemed quite surprised that I had it ready almost immediately. anytime I want to know a song I use it too. So fast. 2 things I miss tho-- the Local tab for when I need a good burger joint or are looking for a place, and I want Bing rewards integrated in WP. I would rack up soooo many points if it counted!!

I think it's fully integrated into regular Bing. My clothes dryer died on me yesterday (a holiday!), and I plugged "appliance parts" into Bing and it gave me local suppliers ordered closest first. I called through the list until I found one that was open on the holiday, confirmed they had the part, then clicked on the shop's address and it gave me a map showing where the shop is. If you allow Bing to use Location Services, it just assumes you want local stuff if you search for it.

@jchapman01, see above, you should find all local stuff in the web portion of Bing. Scroll down if you don't see it. Make sure location.

click on the 3 ... at the bottom and go to settings, make sure "use my location" is turned on. Hopefully this fixes your issue.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Not using the search button is like buying a new car and not using the ac because you don't like being cold. Sometimes that feature that you don't use and ultimately ignore can really come in handy!

I use bing several times a day for all kinds of things like music searches, location searches, quick information, and quick images.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I like the Bing button. I no longer have the IE tile on my start screen because I make all of my search queries through the Bing button. I really hope it's evolved in 8.1 to become a universal search, then it will become super useful.

I agree, most used feature on my phone, it can only get better from here!

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
when I first got my phone one of the first things I did was get the google app. Lets face it google was what I was used too on the PC. The more I started playing around with my 822 and I started to see what bing brings to WP and how the phone just benefits from bing well google has been long deleted and not used much on my PC anymore.....I use the button a lot and its not a waste its very usefull

Shankar chandran S

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
:smile:At first it was difficult to go around it but once you get used to this you will not accidently touch it, it is a very good addition to the phones capabilities , I hope future update will bring universal search so that I can search the my phone too.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
You guys have convinced me. I have started using the Bing search on the phone more and more. It does have some nice features and is quite handy

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the point of this button either, since it does EXACTLY the same as if I type a search into IE, and if I want to use voice search I just hold down the Windows button. I use voice search all the time doing this, so it's not the search I don't like, it's the dedicated search button, which seems superfluous. It's the one design choice I find really baffling on WP.

OT: oh, and I finally got the new version of Bing on my phone last week. It rocks! So much better than the old one.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the point of this button either, since it does EXACTLY the same as if I type a search into IE, and if I want to use voice search I just hold down the Windows button. I use voice search all the time doing this, so it's not the search I don't like, it's the dedicated search button, which seems superfluous. It's the one design choice I find really baffling on WP.

OT: oh, and I finally got the new version of Bing on my phone last week. It rocks! So much better than the old one.

It's not the same at all actually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12