More GDR3 Features

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd be upset, because it would mean another 9 months without a bunch of features that are critical to the growth of WP. Lack of VPN support has been huge since the launch of WP7, they can't have afforded to put it off as long as they have, another 9 months would be crushing. That's just one thing. There's no way they're skipping WP8.1. What we're seeing being brought up to GDR3 is the easy stuff that doesn't go that deep into the OS.

Well, at least they'd add the most recommended features to GDR3. :)

Bob Shiska

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, at least they'd add the most recommended features to GDR3. :)

That's called WP8.1...

Notification center and seperate SMS/notification tones aren't happening without a major rev to the OS. VPN isn't happening without it. The merging of WP8/RT/Win8 in whatever form it takes, whatever path it takes, is getting done by a different group of people anyways. It's work at the architecture level, WP8.1 is working on stuff a level/half level above that.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
What? You like one volume for everything? :confused:

Yes. I've used iOS and Android for years and coming to Windows Phone and having a volume control that is consistent is a relief. It's quite refreshing. For instance, I'll listen to my headphones at work about a third of the way up. But when I leave work and plug the phone into my AUX port in my car, that's considered "headphones" because I'm using the 3.5mm jack, even though the volume needs to be at max to have meaningful output to my car, so I'm constantly adjusting the "headphone" volume anyway.

Also, I hated how I couldn't adjust the volume of media until media was actually playing. For instance, I knew my media volume was maxed because I last used it in my car. But now I can't turn the media volume down until I'm playing media again, which means I have to briefly endure blaring volume. This is annoying when I'm trying to watch a video after just lying down in bed next to the wife. Through the course of always running into this problem, I would frequently and inadvertantly lower my ringer volume to some unacceptable level. (Because I would lower my ringer volume, when I meant to lower my media volume, suck my teeth in frustration and forget to raise the volume of the ringer again)

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I've used iOS and Android for years and coming to Windows Phone and having a volume control that is consistent is a relief. It's quite refreshing. For instance, I'll listen to my headphones at work about a third of the way up. But when I leave work and plug the phone into my AUX port in my car, that's considered "headphones" because I'm using the 3.5mm jack, even though the volume needs to be at max to have meaningful output to my car, so I'm constantly adjusting the "headphone" volume anyway.

Also, I hated how I couldn't adjust the volume of media until media was actually playing. For instance, I knew my media volume was maxed because I last used it in my car. But now I can't turn the media volume down until I'm playing media again, which means I have to briefly endure blaring volume. This is annoying when I'm trying to watch a video after just lying down in bed next to the wife. Through the course of always running into this problem, I would frequently and inadvertantly lower my ringer volume to some unacceptable level. (Because I would lower my ringer volume, when I meant to lower my media volume, suck my teeth in frustration and forget to raise the volume of the ringer again)

Lol what? You're in the minority on this one but hey, glad it works for you.

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site

very very good points there !!!!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The solution to the volume is pretty easy. It used to be that way on the old school HTC Touch Pro 2 i think. Just have a toggle to link or unlink the volume controls. That way you can have them the way they were, or you can split them.

Everybody wins.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I definitely realize this and was even going to blurb about being in the minority on this one, but I truly feel that in this case simpler is better.

I've seen arguments just like yours a few times on this forum, so you are definitely not the only one.

I'd be happy with a setting that allows me to decouple the ringer volume from the system volume. I have no need to control the ringer volume precisely. It would be enough if I could simply specify that when the ringer is not off (silent mode) then it should always be at full volume, just like alarms are always at full volume. I don't want to have to worry about not having raised the volume (say, after watching a youtube video with earphones) and missing an incoming call.

I too would consider volume profiles and four volume sliders overkill and more trouble than it is worth.

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

On Android you can (and always have been able to) adjust the media volume whenever you like. You definitely do not have to wait 'til something is playing.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
On Android you can (and always have been able to) adjust the media volume whenever you like. You definitely do not have to wait 'til something is playing.

Yeah, It's possible that I mispoke, because while I have used several different Android devices, the anecdotes were centered around the iPhone 4 I'd used as my daily phone for just shy of 2 years.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I do agree the volume control is nice and simple compared to the other OS's. The only other separate volume control I believe is truly needed is for the ringer. I put my phone in my back pants pocket and sometimes it's very hard to hear especially when there's loud sound or I'm outdoors. Windows Mobile had this exact setup and I wish they'd bring it back.

1) System Volume
2) Ringer Volume
3) In-call volume

For me, this would be ideal.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope there will be an update that changes the layout of the phone app itself.
There should be an option to set which layout is used. As it is now, pressing the phone tile brings up the call history.

The ideal layout (for me) would be a visible keypad with buttons to select the 'phone book' and 'call history' with a red and green button for 'call' and 'hang-up'.
Basically pressing the phone tile should bring up a layout that looks like a phone.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope there will be an update that changes the layout of the phone app itself.
There should be an option to set which layout is used. As it is now, pressing the phone tile brings up the call history.

The ideal layout (for me) would be a visible keypad with buttons to select the 'phone book' and 'call history' with a red and green button for 'call' and 'hang-up'.
Basically pressing the phone tile should bring up a layout that looks like a phone.

The phone app is represented with a live tile. It displays the number of calls you missed. When you press it, it seems only natural that it should show you the details of those missed calls. That is exactly what the phone app does!

If you want to call someone in your phonebook, then you aren't supposed to use the phone app at all! That is what the people hub is for! That is the app you should have pinned to your start screen and that is the app you should be opening (or use TellMe). Opening the people hub from the phone app is just a completely unnecessary detour.

The layout is great the way it is. It just takes a little getting used to, as it isn't exactly the same as on other devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett