More GDR3 Features

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
The phone app is represented with a live tile. It displays the number of calls you missed. When you press it, it seems only natural that it should show you the details of those missed calls. That is exactly what the phone app does!

If you want to call someone in your phonebook, then you aren't supposed to use the phone app at all! That is what the people hub is for! That is the app you should have pinned to your start screen and that is the app you should be opening (or use TellMe). Opening the people hub from the phone app is just a completely unnecessary detour.

The layout is great the way it is. It just takes a little getting used to, as it isn't exactly the same as on other devices.

To each its own for sure but the point was that it would be great to be able to choose.
On a regular phone the 0-9 keypad is, well, always there. It's perfectly clear to anyone that the People hub is better to use when making a call to someone in the phonebook. A 0-9 keypad is just a normal feature of a phone and it should be easy to access without having to click several times to get there. Everyone like to setup things differently so why not make it possible to choose?

nsa74

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
For me, this would be ideal.
Actually distinct volume controls is something I miss as a former Android user. For example notifications are sometimes too loud but if I lower the volume I don't hear the ringer call if it's not in close proximity.
One other scenario: I use the phone's alarm to wake up. Since I'm a hard sleeper I put the volume to max. Not very pleasant if in the middle of the night someone calls your phone by mistake. So, a distinct alarm volume would be nice too. Of course it's just a personal opinion.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually distinct volume controls is something I miss as a former Android user. For example notifications are sometimes too loud but if I lower the volume I don't hear the ringer call if it's not in close proximity.
One other scenario: I use the phone's alarm to wake up. Since I'm a hard sleeper I put the volume to max. Not very pleasant if in the middle of the night someone calls your phone by mistake. So, a distinct alarm volume would be nice too. Of course it's just a personal opinion.

It's my understanding the alarm volume is always max.

nsa74

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
You are correct. Tried playing with different volume levels and the alarms remains the same. Still not loud enough for me :grin: I could use a volume control for alarms.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You are correct. Tried playing with different volume levels and the alarms remains the same. Still not loud enough for me :grin: I could use a volume control for alarms.

There is an exception. If the phone is set to vibrate then that is all you'll get when the alarm goes off.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
To each its own for sure but the point was that it would be great to be able to choose.
On a regular phone the 0-9 keypad is, well, always there. It's perfectly clear to anyone that the People hub is better to use when making a call to someone in the phonebook. A 0-9 keypad is just a normal feature of a phone and it should be easy to access without having to click several times to get there. Everyone like to setup things differently so why not make it possible to choose?

Agree 100%

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

You proposed a specific solution. My point was that your solution doesn't mesh with how WP apps are expected to work. It's counter intuitive and feels wrong. Pressing a live tile displaying missed calls, and then being greeted by a keypad would baffle many.

If you had just stated that you desire the ability to get to the dialer with a single click, that I would have found unobjectionable.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Pressing a live tile displaying missed calls, and then being greeted by a keypad would baffle many.

By that logic, can I not argue then that it baffles me that when there are no missed calls and it's just a telephone picture, pressing the telephone to make a call brings up past phone calls? Or that it's baffling when there is no missed call showing, but an indication that I have a voicemail, when I press the button it doesn't automatically dial the mailbox?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
By that logic, can I not argue then that it baffles me that when there are no missed calls and it's just a telephone picture, pressing the telephone to make a call brings up past phone calls? Or that it's baffling when there is no missed call showing, but an indication that I have a voicemail, when I press the button it doesn't automatically dial the mailbox?

Yes, absolutely, you could. Like I said, the proposed solution was poor. The point of my post was to explain why it is so. I didn't say that the requirement was imaginary or otherwise illegitimate. Your proposed solution is certainly better. If we think about it long enough, we can possibly come up with even better solutions, as I can still imagine a few scenarios where it falls short.

Last edited:

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes, absolutely, you could. Like I said, the proposed solution was poor. The point of my post was to explain why it is so. I didn't say that the requirement was imaginary or otherwise illegitimate. Your proposed solution is certainly better. If we think about it long enough, we can possibly come up with even better solutions, as I can still imagine a few scenarios where it falls short.

I've seen quite a few of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable in either how the phone works or developing. How difficult would it be for whoever (or the phone, OS, etc) to pull up a different screen based on what's on the live tile? So that if it is just the phone, it brings up a dialpad, but if there is a missed called indicated, it goes to the log when the button is pressed.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I have visual voicemail so the phone app shows two pivot items: history and voicemail. Why not add a third item which is the dialer (with smart dial feature, please)?

The "active" pivot item would be set by whether or not the "phone" app was trying to tell you something that had already happened or not. In other words, if there are missed calls or voicemail, show the history item, otherwise the show dialer item. The item selection is really about whether or not the user needs to be looking backward in time or forward (calls made/missed or called to be made). I suggest never jumping directly to voicemail because 1) all missed calls create a history item, but only some of them create voicemail and 2) not everyone will have a voicemail item, which only appears if the user has visual voicemail, I think.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
How difficult would it be for whoever (or the phone, OS, etc) to pull up a different screen based on what's on the live tile?

If I had the code for WP's phone app, even I could make that adaptation. Everything required to do so is already covered by the existing and documented APIs.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

All this was the point behind the initial post. If it's made configurable everyone can set it up as they want.
Shouldn't be to difficult for MS to do this.
:smile:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
RT is failing badly because there's no apps for it. If it had all the games and apps that the iPad has, plus Office and the other nice things in RT it'd do fine. As it is, people buy it thinking it's Windows, it's not, and then find that it can't even do iPad stuff. It is a good idea, but it's chicken and egg and they shouldn't have released the Surface RT until their were more modern metro apps.

Linking RT & WP would at least give them 150,000 phone apps - scaling wouldn't be ideal, but it'd go a way towards solving the apps issue on RT.

Get a feeling people will disagree with this as much as with my last post, but hey ho, always nice to have a healthy discussion...

FYI Windows RT has Office built in. Office 2013 in fact and the 8.1 update adds Outlook as well so actually, out of the box, Surface RT can do way more than the iPad can.

Most of the Metro apps that are available for Windows 8 are either available for Windows RT already or are easy enough to port, it's just a target OS change before recompiling.

But then I would guess from your comment you haven't bothered to try a Windows RT based device otherwise you would know what you posted is completely incorrect!!

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Built in camera 8MP in my Lumia 810 now has a 3200 ISO limit when set to AUTO even tho' in manual settings the limit is ISO 800
and limit was ISO 800 when using AUTO setting before.
I took several pictures and downloaded them to my PC then looking in properties and then details one was ISO 1000, and one ISO 3200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)