Recovery Software to get deleted pictures back?

hiko36

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
So I get home from my recent trip to the east coast and download all my photos to my computer. Confident everything transferred without error, I proceed to delete all my photos and videos. Mainly 'cause Good GOD the Lumia 1020 photos can suck up some space. Today, I'm going through the pictures to decided which to use in conjunction with the free 20x30 we get from Smile Bank. Half the pictures are missing. Now I'm in panic mode because the pictures I wanted, of course, are the ones that are missing. Is there any recovery software there I can use to get them back from my phone? Mac, Windows, or Linux. Free-, paid-, shareware. Doesn't matter. I just need those photos back.

tl;dr: Is there any recovery software that works with our phones?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Do you have your pictures automatically uploaded to SkyDrive?

You wouldn't have your full resolution pictures, but you'd at least have the 5 mp copy.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Except this says photos from the SD card.

If you scroll down to step 2 it says your phone or your card will be detected. It can be seen as a mass storage device. But I did say I wasn't sure it would work on WP8, just giving him an option to try.

hiko36

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that would work with the phone itself but I did a full recovery of just the .jpgs on my computer and apparently I had synced all the photos. They had just gotten deleted somewhere along the way. Thanks for the help everyone!

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
You can not. The post/blog/advert stmav linked can not possibly work.

Photo recovery software needs access to the raw file system in order to recover photos (In the case of FAT filesystems it needs access to the File Allocation Table). This is simply not possible with Windows Phone 7, 8 or even most of the more recent android devices as they use MTP (WP8 and Android) to communicate with the PC which does not expose the Filesystem directly to the host but acts as a layer inbetween. This has the advantage that the PC does not need to understand or know what filesystem is used by the device, but this also means that you can not use recovery software.

WP7 does not even use MTP, it requires Zune to transfer data, but for the purpose of file/photo recovery software the same issue arises: The PC running the software does not have access to the filesystem.

Even if the PC had access to the filesystem, recovery software would not work, as the WP7/8 devices do not use NTFS or FAT32 internaly, but fatx afaik. And even android might now use Linux filesystems (ext3/4, hfs, whatever) internaly now.

to cut it short: there's no way to recover data from the windows phone device storage.

vk1971

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
@stellafranti
Did you try it to recover the files which were in the PHONE MEMORY, not the SD CARD?

As Localhorst86 explained, there is no way to recover files from WP unless they are written on SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs