Bottom Line on Increased Battery Consumption

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
After lots of tests on Amber with/without Gland, ditto Triple Touch (or, more) and compare to no Glance, no TT, here is the bottom line:

Both features on use almost exactly double the power of the old pre-Amber phone.

I've not yet gotten consistent consumption results on Amber with both features off. Don't know why.

Note: No animals were harmed in this process. All tests were done predicated on at least three hours of standby after full charge. Wifi always on, no BT. No phone, SMS, or location services on. Your Mileage Will Definitely Vary....a lot, when you fully use the phone.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
"Hidden in Plain Sight Forehead Slapping Update":

Before Amber, I had deleted many of the built in apps. It never occurred to me that they were back and running.

Based on someone's comments in a related thread, I went to Settings, then sideways to Applications, where there is Background Tasks.

I was astounded at how many apps were running back there. Games, which I never, ever care about. Gas Buddy, I installed it once, tested, and there it was still running two weeks later. For each app that I didn't want running, I opted for "Block". You can still start up and use your app, it just won't run it in the background after you close it. I also stopped the Live Tile for CNN, it's so slow world peace could break out before it flips again.

I reset my battery monitor, and after a few hours, my consumption is....................1.06% per hour!!!!

So, run your Glance (mine is set for 24 hrs a day) and your Triple Tap, but turn off those background apps!

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
FURTHER ILLOGICAL BATTERY METER FACTS

I charged up the battery, disconnected the charger, and soon went to bed. I got up and checked the battery data. It was down to 93%. I found a discharge rate of 2.1%/hr, and a time to run of 1 day, 13? hours. Then I did a cognitive double take. Wait! If the discharge rate was, call it, 2%/hr, I should have been down to about 80% remaining. And conversely, if I was down 7% in 9.5 hours, I should have a discharge rate of .73%/hr and a complete emptying on standby of 53 hours. (Once again, the caveat is that this is a 2500mah battery.)

So, (as he throws his hands up in the air), the new bottom line is, "Who the hell knows what's going on? If you can't get a consistency in your battery app, why bother? Shut off all those background apps, don't worry, be happy."

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Stop worrying about battery discharge rates and use your phone. Too many threads and posts about this. Enough already!!!!!

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Stop worrying about battery discharge rates and use your phone. Too many threads and posts about this. Enough already!!!!!

lol, hate to burst your bubble champ, but a lot of us don't have the benefit of living life from our bedrooms in our parents house.

Some of us are actually out and about or take trains, heck some even fly in airplanes, so a charger isn't readily available. To these people, large unknown drains on the battery are kind of a big deal.

This could be real easy for you, if you see a battery thread, don't bother stopping by, simple enough?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm 48 with a family. My battery life is excellent, and I use my 920 for work and home. I've read constant threads about the same thing. They seem to all fixate on battery percentage rates and discharge ratios. Never had a problem since WP7 either. Either I have been lucky, or I know how to use the WP OS correctly.... I think my second answer is correct... Thank YOU for stopping by!!!

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
If you happen to use it right then MS really failed at making an OS. There shouldn't be a right\wrong way to use it, but I digress.

I also don't always have an issue with battery life, once in awhile though it will drain a very significant amount in no time at all and from seemingly doing nothing. I like browsing through here seeing if a common ground has been found. If not, no big deal. If its a large issue though it will never get fixed if people don't say anything.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If you happen to use it right then MS really failed at making an OS. There shouldn't be a right\wrong way to use it, but I digress..

As someone who spent 45 years in software development, including many working in operating systems performance analysis, I can assure you that you are very wrong.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem is some of us have ended up with a dead phone, because of some run away process/app. Previously, I could put my fully charged phone down, over night, and pick it up in the morning and use it the next day without an issue.

Now I've run into where I can do the same thing (unplugged, fully charged, over night), but in the morning, the battery is completely drained and the phone won't turn on. Looking at the discharge rate from a battery app, shows steady discharge.

Some thing has changed since the GDR2/Amber update. I need some sort diagnostic app, process viewer, log viewer, what ever, to figure out what's going on.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
As someone who spent 45 years in software development, including many working in operating systems performance analysis, I can assure you that you are very wrong.
We use what we are given within the confined walls of what is WP8. We can only use it within the specified predetermined manner. There is no wrong way. Are there ways that use more battery? Absolutely, but that's not a wrong way. Sorry, you won't convince me there is a wrong way to use my phone.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Just trying to find patterns, logical answers to puzzles. Everyone wants to run many days on a charge, it's one's constitutional right, right? :)

A few years ago with a "new" Android, battery sucking down 16 hours or less, it turned out that the beautiful galaxy image on active something or other kept the CPU cranking.

It doesn't hurt to tweatk and tune to one's needs.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I played some music for 20 minutes in the car, which the phone was being charged during that time. Otherwise IDLE, doing nothing but being in my pocket.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, here are my observations.

I've spent the last two days testing out the BL-4J battery on my Lumia 620, on GDR2+Amber.

The first 24 hours were with Glance turned on, at least 12 hours with it flipped upside-down. Light usage throughout the day. A few hours of music, some texts and calls, some video-playing, no airplane mode, brightness set to low, no battery saver.
The battery ended up going down to 58%.

The last 21 hours have gone by, practically the same usage, but with Glance turned off, and brightness set to auto.
The battery is currently at 46%.

That says a lot.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I never get an accurate representation of my battery life because the settings and my favorite battery app both just show some crazy 5-7% discharge rate even when I'm not using phone much. After 1-1 1/2 hours of listening to music in still at 100% and usually during classes for another hour of not using it im on 100% while it still say 5-7% per hour. I end the school day with around 85-90% depending if I played games on the bus him from school(only listen to music in morning because to tired for games.) I also use battery saver the whole day, and just want to know if the inaccurate discharge rate is just me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss