Planning to Join the WP8 Bandwagon

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning to take a plunge into the WP8 ecosystem. I've already had a Focus so this is my second trial of WP. I saw a 520 the other day and one thing that bothered me was scrolling. While it was smooth it seemed to have a fixed top speed, no matter how fast I tried to move the list it moved at a constant and slightly annoying pace. Is this due to the slower processor and less RAM. Will phones like the 820/822 scroll faster?
I'm also looking for some app alternatives:

A countdown app(with a good live tile)
Tech news app( verge, engadget, or Pulse)
Offline dictionary
Shortcuts on locksceen
Folder app
Is the Kindle app any good?
Alternate browser?

I've seen a good offer on the 820 and I'll get it if only for the Processor and RAM. The screen, cam and storage aren't as important to me.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/live-tile-countdown/1beb6ff2-7923-e011-854c-00237de2db9e
2. Search results for "verge" | Windows Phone (United States) choose one.
3. Translator | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) there are some languages that can be downloaded for offline use
4. www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/connectivityshortcuts/430cf007-731f-4357-af7b-b897bff25a2c
5. I don't see point of it, you can resize tiles to the smallest size and no need for folder at least for me.
6. UC Browser | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) I don't see why IE is bad for you, but here you go.

I would pick up L720 because of the better battery, but it has only 512mb of ram, or add some money and get L920.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
1. http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/live-tile-countdown/1beb6ff2-7923-e011-854c-00237de2db9e
2. Search results for "verge" | Windows Phone (United States) choose one.
3. Translator | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) there are some languages that can be downloaded for offline use
4. www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/connectivityshortcuts/430cf007-731f-4357-af7b-b897bff25a2c
5. I don't see point of it, you can resize tiles to the smallest size and no need for folder at least for me.
6. UC Browser | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) I don't see why IE is bad for you, but here you go.

I would pick up L720 because of the better battery, but it has only 512mb of ram, or add some money and get L920.

Thanks man. All I fear about the L720 is future proofing with 512 mb ram it probably wont see many updates. You've shown me pretty much all I was looking for. Any idea about lockscreen shortcuts/customization?

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
you'll get updates for 36 months after the phone is released

I heard so, but they initially planned to end it in 2014. So there is a small chance of fragmentation again. I suffered that last time with my Focus. It seems impossible that the OS of the future will run well on 512mb even Apple is slowly upgrading its hardware after years of low specs and software optimization.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
you'll get updates for 36 months after the phone is released

Well, yes, you're supported for 36 months. But that in no way guarantees that you'll get OS Upgrades for 36 mos...there's a huge difference in 'updates' for a new security hole, vs. upgrades to 8.1, 8.x.

If you have a Microsoft policy that you can point to, I'd love to see it...but Supported <> Upgrades. You are supported on your current release, you are not guaranteed upgrades.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, if you can afford an 820 or 920, go for it, not just for the RAM but also the processor speed.

The 32Gb internal memory in the 920 is also a plus point, as you can't load apps on to an SD in Windows Phone for security reasons.

In my opinion there are no bad Windows phones, but the 920 is the best short of the 1020.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There are exactly three reasons to prefer a 1GB device over a 512MB device.

1) Their ability to run all apps (some ported games are incompatible with 512 MB devices, but almost everything specifically designed for WP will run fine). As companies shift to considering WP as a target platform from the 'get go' (not just iOS and Android), incompatibilities with 512MB devices will largely disapear entirely.
2) Their ability to support a slightly higher number of enabled background agents.
3) Their ability to cache more apps in memory, meaning when you switch back to a previously opened app, you'll have a higher likelihood that the switch is instantaneous, whereas the OS will more often have to reload the app from storage on a 512MB device.

The higher RAM configuration will buy you absolutely nothing in terms of OS updates! All first gen WP8 chassis spec devices will stop being updated at the same time, irrespective of RAM capacity. The 1GB models aren't any more future proof, so if that is your only concern, then you are baselessly restricting your device selection.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If the 8 series is on par with your finances, go for it. Bigger screen, flash and better build quality.
Sent from my RM-846_nam_usa_366 using Board Express

Cindy_H

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
News app---Bing News

Offline dictionary--Dictionary

AFAIK, you can't have connectivity shortcuts on the lock screen...just the start screen. The only folder app is a Samsung exclusive. I don't use the Kindle app, so I don't know if it's any good or not. I don't use any alternate browser. IE works just fine for me. HTH.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks people, I'll get a L720 and L820 at a store and get a feel for them both before making the final choice. I'm buying unlocked, unsubsidised so the 920 remains above my budget.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss