"Double" Tap virtually worthless?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I was SO excitedd to hear of the pending double tap feature! Woo hoo! First disappointment, it didn't get past the lock screen. Now, I have to say, it is worthless. It may work, it may not. I've tried light touches and heavy touches, short intervals and long intervals. I've tapped reapeatedly, perhaps ten times before it wakes up.

At least the power button method is consistent.

What say you?

BobR1908

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I am not experiencing this. Double tap can be quite useful if I want to take a quick glance or check to see if any messages/emails came in and anytime I have used the feature I have not experienced any problems.

I must say it works fine for me.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The double tapping gesture require some practices. Sometimes it does not work at all if you are tapping too fast. Usually, I will triple tap the screen instead of double tapping.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Based on this sampling, I guess some of us, or some of our phones double tap well, some don't. Product variability? User variability? Who knows?

@Jupast: Yes, I HATE the lockscreen! It does nothing but add annoyance to use the phone. I always turned it off in Android. Yes, if you want to password protect your phone, by all means. For most of us, it just adds hours of wasted time over the lifetime of the phone.

jonathanbailie

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Notification icons would have been nice. Overall though, the double tap to wake is useful, consistent, and fluid for me.

The power button on the Lumias are placed perfectly where your fingers usually end up. It's easy to just hit the power button when you're holding the phone.

The double tap to wake is most useful when you're not holding the phone, like when it's on the nightstand by your bed, or on a desk in front of you.

In any case, it's a nice feature to have, and for me, it performs flawlessly.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Then later someone will come in and troll about other notification shouldnt be on the glance screen since you have the lock screen.
After that some others will troll about Nokia making WP8 fragment because they were the only one to access api to go straight to start screen from double tap...

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
No Double tap here so nothing to complain about. Unless I want to complain about not having the feature itself. which I really would not use anyway.

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well as a N9 user i was spoiled with the double tap,at this point its double tap or nothing. The Glance screen is useless, On the N9 we had Email,text,missed calls notification, not just a just clock -_-, even the N8 has this. I'm glad they got it working, but without the notifications, i wouldn't bother with the glance.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Well as a N9 user i was spoiled with the double tap,at this point its double tap or nothing. The Glance screen is useless, On the N9 we had Email,text,missed calls notification, not just a just clock -_-, even the N8 has this. I'm glad they got it working, but without the notifications, i wouldn't bother with the glance.

I have the N9 too. That's why I mentioned the notification icons. :) However, the glance on WP has an advantage over the one on the N9, which is the ability to dim the clock on a certain interval, which is very useful at night. The N9 would simply light up my room with glance on.

Another thing I think they could adopt from the N9 and would fit WP like a glove is the Swipe UI. It's so awesome!!! :D

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is a more useful feature than anything that came bundled into GDR2. Use it every day. I've forgotten about that unlock button on the side.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
It works perfectly fine for me, alas, I've turned it off due to its extra battery consumption. Which might be "negligible", but everything adds up.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Works with like 95% reliability for me, definitely a nice addition. For example when the phone is on the table, double tapping the screen is often more convenient than grabbing the phone so that you can press the screen on from the button.

I recently booted up my N8 (mostly for my fiancee to take pics) and man, I so miss the old screensaver clock it has, makes me wish I had an AMOLED screen on my Lumia (I got 920, I love the screen, but not being AMOLED has its downsides too :p) so that I could have the clock on the screen without killing the battery.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Works 100% here. Only if I block light sensor - with my hands - that doens't works.

I'm very happy with Glance and Double Tap. But Glance could show some notifications. Still that, we don't really need this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb