Going to be a proud owner of a windows 8 phone soon

Huskerville

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 8 more days before i hit my upgrade with verizon. I am one of few people in the world that are going from android to a windows phone, but i couldnt be happier. I would like to know what i can expect thats different from android. Everything i read so far still has't made me want to go back to an android. I am looking at getting either the 822 or the 928. More leaning toward the 928. Thanks for taking the time to reading this.

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have switched from android and apple to windows and I couldn't be more happy! Sure all the apps aren't there but we do have great alternatives. I will admit I have had some issues with my phone but simply soft resets have fixed them. My daughter loves her 928 and people stop and check out her phone all the time. You will love the 928 and will never miss a thing about android! Welcome to the Windows family😊

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard to WP central and the Windows OS. I believe your going to like the 928 it's a great phone and I am thinking about it when my next update is available, I'm using the Lumia 822 and love it a lot but I had a Android device nor would I ever want one from what I hear. Anyway good luck and the 8 days will go fast but be prepared when purchasing the Windows phone 8 the reps may try to change your mind depending on your store and area.

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a used 928 on ebay to play around with Windows Phone and I came from Android. I can give you a list (no particular order):

• No separate volume profiles. In Gingerbread there were, but then Google went to ICS and combined volumes. Google remedied this with Jelly Bean, but since my phone is officially on 4.0.3, then I will never get separate volume controls again, unless I use an app. This is the same with WP now.
  • No phone wide search. On my android phone, I could search for anything (music, contacts, notes, etc), but on Window Phone, if you hit the search button, it goes to a bing portal and searches the web.
  • The android phone could download MMS messages even when data connection was not constantly on. When the message came, it would turn on the data connection briefly and then turn it off when finished. Not a big deal for some, but being in an environment with poor connections at times, it could help on battery life.
  • I personally don't mind the text message briefly showing up on the lock screen, but I would prefer an option to have just the sender's name and "New Message" displayed instead of part of the message.
  • If you don't have it already, wireless charging is great. Bought the DT-900 from ATT online ($25 with free shipping) and it is great.
  • Nokia Here, you can download maps of regions/states and use it for navigation when a reliable data connection is not available.
  • I find glance rather pointless right now, but maybe if they add more ability to it, it will become a better option. For the time being, I turned it off.
  • The default keyboard is actually not bad and in some way comparable to Swiftkey in that is has some predictive abilities within it, but no Flow option.
I have some other things I am still adjusting to, but this is a small list. I am giving it a real world shot and see what I think. It definitely has room for improvement, but with the potential for the lumia line to get the GDR3 and 8.1 updates, I might hold on for the ride.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have 8 more days before i hit my upgrade with verizon. I am one of few people in the world that are going from android to a windows phone, but i couldnt be happier. I would like to know what i can expect thats different from android. Everything i read so far still has't made me want to go back to an android. I am looking at getting either the 822 or the 928. More leaning toward the 928. Thanks for taking the time to reading this.

I did the same recently and I couldn't be happier. The biggest thing for me was getting used to how cohesive wp8 is. Android was my first smart phone, and I didn't realize how chaotic android was. Also, no file browsing. The data is stored with the app. At first I didn't like it but now I realize it doesn't even matter. It makes things simpler.

I personally have only one app I miss, my credit unions app. While android has more apps, 99% of them are garbage I never downloaded anyway. But I still have tunein radio, OneNote, and most of the others I had with android.

Live tiles are awesome, the camera is great and having automatic photo upload to skydrive is great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12