09-10-2013 04:29 AM
56 123
tools
    A new name isn't needed, just a robust OS with compelling enough features to draw people away from the 'Big 2'. WP is still about 6 months to a year behind imo.
    snowmutt likes this.
    09-03-2013 09:06 PM
    Okay... my compromise is that WP remains WP, but the phones are branded "Lumia" and they keep the "Microsoft" name off of them. Everywhere there is the Nokia name now, you just brand "Lumia", so the WP side of production doesn't carry "MS". The association that Nokia began continues, but the WP name on the OS which actually is fairly mainstream now remains.

Then, you can just stick to model numbers. Maybe even ones that make a little more sense. For instance.... what happened to the Lumia "91X" series? We went from 900 to 92X??

Maybe the inability to count was Nokia's hardware division downfall. They made outstanding devices, but math was a shortcoming.....
    09-04-2013 08:13 AM
    Just realized, I'm on Verizon. Microsoft and Verizon don't play nicely (*cough Kin)... I may get screwed because of this transition...
    09-04-2013 08:29 AM
    I have a htc phone how whould htc accept to rename their phone from htc windows phone 8x to htc lumia 8x?
    The OS is windows phone nokia line of smartphones is Lumia. Selling phones because cameras or build quality is one thing. This is where nokia positioned themselves. Selling smartphone because of the operating system is what MS was trying to do. You should not mix them for better coverage.
    The ecosystem needs more OEMs not just Nokia.
    mrdeeds_72 likes this.
    09-04-2013 08:31 AM
    A new name isn't needed, just a robust OS with compelling enough features to draw people away from the 'Big 2'. WP is still about 6 months to a year behind imo.
    Given that they started three years late, I'd say being behind by 6-12 months is great!
    09-04-2013 08:56 AM
    I cannot believe they called the os Windows anything to begin with. Windows may be a ubiquitous system, but it had and to a certain extent still has a bad rep among consumers... Why they didn't call it Metro OS is beyond me.
    09-04-2013 01:41 PM
    Since school started, people have noticed my phone and they are like oh you have a Lumia. It happened at chili's....it happened in WalMart. It happened the other day when we were at the gym.

I'm American btw. The Lumia name could generally stick with it as most people I have come across aren't even aware that Microsoft is the maker of the OS. Only after playing with it do they realize the similarities with windows 8.
    berty6294 likes this.
    09-04-2013 01:49 PM
    Since school started, people have noticed my phone and they are like oh you have a Lumia. It happened at chili's....it happened in WalMart. It happened the other day when we were at the gym.

I'm American btw. The Lumia name could generally stick with it as most people I have come across aren't even aware that Microsoft is the maker of the OS. Only after playing with it do they realize the similarities with windows 8.
    Awesome. BTW - your profile says you have a 920 and you're a high school senior.... Maybe time for an update?
    09-04-2013 01:56 PM

Yep I find this incredibly true!
    09-04-2013 02:03 PM
    Here are some new names for WinRT/WinPRT (obviously I'm not a marketing type!):

1. "Fluid" OS. MSFT always talks about fast and fluid, why not stick it in the name itself? Of course, the downside is the potential bodily fluids interpretation instead of the intended smoothness interpretation.

2. "Tritium", "TriOS", or some other variation of three. Signifying the three screens strategy for the OS: phone, computer, TV.

3. OneOS. One OS for all devices.

Like I said earlier, I'm not a marketing type and it shows :)
    09-04-2013 02:21 PM
    All Windows Phone comes with a very familiar Windows logo at the bottom(the center button for going to homescreen), this is an indication of Windows OS! So naming it to Windows Phone would be a perfect choice in my book!
    09-04-2013 03:52 PM
    Microsoft wants people to see Windows as a complete cross-platform OS. Renaming one part of it would be counter productive.
    Completely agree. The "Windows" brand is here to stay. In a way they probably tried to jettison it when they did Vista... and that flopped, so back to Windows # branding.

If anything, keep Lumia name for Microsoft phones, no Nokia or Microsoft, just Lumia in the same way Xbox is not sold as the Microsoft Xbox even though everyone knows it's from MS.

I do agree the OS needs a little tweeking on the name though. Windows Phone # is just too long. I say call the OS "WinPhone#" so that non-MS manufactures can use it in their branding without it being confused with the products from MS (the Lumias). Keep Nokia Asha as long as possible since that brand connection is so huge in the rest of the world.

Lumia 920 WinPhone
    Lumia 1020 WinPhone
    Lumia 1520 WinPhone
    HTC 8X WinPhone
    Samsung ATIV S WinPhone

Clean, like iPhone 5 is clean, Samsung Galaxy S4 is clean-ish (I think Galaxy 4 would be better, especially since they have multiple models off the S4 line). Seems a whole lot more fluid than Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8...

I typically either say Nokia 920 or just Windows Phone. People lose interest by the time I get to the 920 in the full name...
    09-04-2013 04:14 PM
    Yes, Windows goes back to a time in computing where we were first starting to multitask the UI (hence the name). These days we've kind of gone the opposite direction.

Time for Windows branding to die.
    09-04-2013 04:19 PM
    Yes, Windows goes back to a time in computing where we were first starting to multitask the UI (hence the name). These days we've kind of gone the opposite direction.

Time for Windows branding to die.
    Um, the live tiles are windows into the apps themselves.

Yes, I actually believe that.
    nohra likes this.
    09-04-2013 04:30 PM

That's why they rebranded the company logo into squares, is it not?

I agree with you; they just need some kind of marketing strategy that changes people's conception of computing "Windows" from the old definition into the new.
    09-04-2013 04:49 PM
    Not really. We cant change the BRAND ASSOCIATION now. LUMIA as a brand is closely associated with phone models like Lumia 920 , Lumia 925 . After 2 years you cant change the association to a Software. It just wont work.

But I can agree that Windows Phone needs a cool one word name , but I guess by now it has already percolated among the masses and I do hear people saying I want a Windows Phone or Simply Lumia 520.
    MS already is dong that with XBox. XBox music? Wasn't Xbox associated with hardware before and now to music. Lot of people are allergic to word "Windows" when it comes to software.
    09-04-2013 05:36 PM
    Clean, like iPhone 5 is clean, Samsung Galaxy S4 is clean-ish (I think Galaxy 4 would be better, especially since they have multiple models off the S4 line). Seems a whole lot more fluid than Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8...

I typically either say Nokia 920 or just Windows Phone. People lose interest by the time I get to the 920 in the full name...
    No one used to say Nokia Lumia 920 WindowsPhone8. It's all made up by Ballmer. Everyone used to say Nokia Lumia or Lumia xxx or Nokia Lumia xxx. That's it.
    IMO that was one of the major reasons why Nokia dominated in WP because of creating their own brand instead of using Windows or Windows phone name in the branding.
    I am worried about MS and Nokia since MS is not going to use Nokia brand name for smartphones.
    09-04-2013 05:40 PM
    Microsoft's current big marketing campaign is pushing the Metro UI under the Windows and Xbox branding. Renaming Windows Phone to Lumia would be a big mistake. Microsoft has been working hard for years just to make people even just realize Windows Phone exists, suddenly changing the name would only further confuse consumers, as well as remove the synonymous branding they're going for.

I support Microsoft uniting everything under the Windows branding. Everyone is familiar with Windows, it's a brand they recognize and are familiar with. Only Nokia purchasers are aware of Lumia branding. Instead, Microsoft needs to focus more on the advantages of the modern Metro UI and showing how far Windows has come from is Blue-Screen-of-Death Days. And that's pretty much what they're doing, showing off the streamlined intuitive interface. They still have a long way to go, but they're making fair progress.
    nohra likes this.
    09-04-2013 06:23 PM
    MS already is dong that with XBox. XBox music? Wasn't Xbox associated with hardware before and now to music. Lot of people are allergic to word "Windows" when it comes to software.
    They chose Xbox because it's a popular platform and they had to move away from Zune, too much bad press with Zune.
    09-04-2013 06:25 PM

I did think of that but I think MS has too much baggage. These days a marketing overhaul isn't that hard.

People still get all bent out of shape from MS stuff that was 15 years ago.
    09-04-2013 08:05 PM
    They chose Xbox because it's a popular platform and they had to move away from Zune, too much bad press with Zune.
    I guess, Microsoft or windows or even windows phone has lot of good press and mind-share. Right?
    nohra likes this.
    09-04-2013 08:21 PM
    09-05-2013 08:39 AM
    No one used to say Nokia Lumia 920 WindowsPhone8. It's all made up by Ballmer. Everyone used to say Nokia Lumia or Lumia xxx or Nokia Lumia xxx. That's it.
    IMO that was one of the major reasons why Nokia dominated in WP because of creating their own brand instead of using Windows or Windows phone name in the branding.
    I am worried about MS and Nokia since MS is not going to use Nokia brand name for smartphones.
    Thanks for calling me "no one"

But I will just roll on...
    09-05-2013 09:46 AM
    Absolutely correct! Let's just hope for a name that isn't stupid or cheesy.
    09-05-2013 09:49 AM
    That's part of the point that there are many Lumia phones in the market already.
    They are already Lumia phones so nothing changes there.
    That doesn't matter, there are more Windows Phone handset manufacturers than just Nokia. Could you really see a Samsung Windows Phone running Lumia OS, I can't and that's why the Windows Phone name is perfect as it doesn't tie the OS to a particular brand of phone.
    nohra likes this.
    09-05-2013 10:44 AM
56 123