Rename Phone OS to Lumia

MazoMark

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Given Microsoft history with terrible product names, I'm predicting they will rename it to something like "Windows Phone Lumia Experience with Modern UI 1020".

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
After years of marketing and letting people know about windows phone OS existence you want to change all that .... it will be a mistake
i say keep using windows phone name for the OS and keep using Lumia brand for the hardware

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
After years of marketing and letting people know about windows phone OS existence you want to change all that .... it will be a mistake
i say keep using windows phone name for the OS and keep using Lumia brand for the hardware

After all these years of marketing...

In the last quarter Android shipped 187 Million Phones, iOS shipped 31 Million, and Windows Phone shipped 8 Million.
Of those 8 Million Windows Phones less than 10 percent of those were not Nokia Lumias already.

90% of the tiny Windows Phone market is Lumia already.

Tegument

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I disagree, the windows name, like Ballmer is an anchor to the past and old Microsoft and needs to go to help facilitate change.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
A new name isn't needed, just a robust OS with compelling enough features to draw people away from the 'Big 2'. WP is still about 6 months to a year behind imo.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay... my compromise is that WP remains WP, but the phones are branded "Lumia" and they keep the "Microsoft" name off of them. Everywhere there is the Nokia name now, you just brand "Lumia", so the WP side of production doesn't carry "MS". The association that Nokia began continues, but the WP name on the OS which actually is fairly mainstream now remains.

Then, you can just stick to model numbers. Maybe even ones that make a little more sense. For instance.... what happened to the Lumia "91X" series? We went from 900 to 92X??

Maybe the inability to count was Nokia's hardware division downfall. They made outstanding devices, but math was a shortcoming.....

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just realized, I'm on Verizon. Microsoft and Verizon don't play nicely (*cough Kin)... I may get screwed because of this transition...

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a htc phone how whould htc accept to rename their phone from htc windows phone 8x to htc lumia 8x?
The OS is windows phone nokia line of smartphones is Lumia. Selling phones because cameras or build quality is one thing. This is where nokia positioned themselves. Selling smartphone because of the operating system is what MS was trying to do. You should not mix them for better coverage.
The ecosystem needs more OEMs not just Nokia.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
A new name isn't needed, just a robust OS with compelling enough features to draw people away from the 'Big 2'. WP is still about 6 months to a year behind imo.
Given that they started three years late, I'd say being behind by 6-12 months is great!

wustlmike19

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I cannot believe they called the os Windows anything to begin with. Windows may be a ubiquitous system, but it had and to a certain extent still has a bad rep among consumers... Why they didn't call it Metro OS is beyond me.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Since school started, people have noticed my phone and they are like oh you have a Lumia. It happened at chili's....it happened in WalMart. It happened the other day when we were at the gym.

I'm American btw. The Lumia name could generally stick with it as most people I have come across aren't even aware that Microsoft is the maker of the OS. Only after playing with it do they realize the similarities with windows 8.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Since school started, people have noticed my phone and they are like oh you have a Lumia. It happened at chili's....it happened in WalMart. It happened the other day when we were at the gym.

I'm American btw. The Lumia name could generally stick with it as most people I have come across aren't even aware that Microsoft is the maker of the OS. Only after playing with it do they realize the similarities with windows 8.

Awesome. BTW - your profile says you have a 920 and you're a high school senior.... Maybe time for an update? :wink:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Yep I find this incredibly true!

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Here are some new names for WinRT/WinPRT (obviously I'm not a marketing type!):

1. "Fluid" OS. MSFT always talks about fast and fluid, why not stick it in the name itself? Of course, the downside is the potential bodily fluids interpretation instead of the intended smoothness interpretation.

2. "Tritium", "TriOS", or some other variation of three. Signifying the three screens strategy for the OS: phone, computer, TV.

3. OneOS. One OS for all devices.

Like I said earlier, I'm not a marketing type and it shows :)

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
All Windows Phone comes with a very familiar Windows logo at the bottom(the center button for going to homescreen), this is an indication of Windows OS! So naming it to Windows Phone would be a perfect choice in my book!

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft wants people to see Windows as a complete cross-platform OS. Renaming one part of it would be counter productive.

Completely agree. The "Windows" brand is here to stay. In a way they probably tried to jettison it when they did Vista... and that flopped, so back to Windows # branding.

If anything, keep Lumia name for Microsoft phones, no Nokia or Microsoft, just Lumia in the same way Xbox is not sold as the Microsoft Xbox even though everyone knows it's from MS.

I do agree the OS needs a little tweeking on the name though. Windows Phone # is just too long. I say call the OS "WinPhone#" so that non-MS manufactures can use it in their branding without it being confused with the products from MS (the Lumias). Keep Nokia Asha as long as possible since that brand connection is so huge in the rest of the world.

Lumia 920 WinPhone
Lumia 1020 WinPhone
Lumia 1520 WinPhone
HTC 8X WinPhone
Samsung ATIV S WinPhone

Clean, like iPhone 5 is clean, Samsung Galaxy S4 is clean-ish (I think Galaxy 4 would be better, especially since they have multiple models off the S4 line). Seems a whole lot more fluid than Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8... :confused:

I typically either say Nokia 920 or just Windows Phone. People lose interest by the time I get to the 920 in the full name...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Windows goes back to a time in computing where we were first starting to multitask the UI (hence the name). These days we've kind of gone the opposite direction.

Time for Windows branding to die.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Yes, Windows goes back to a time in computing where we were first starting to multitask the UI (hence the name). These days we've kind of gone the opposite direction.

Time for Windows branding to die.

Um, the live tiles are windows into the apps themselves.

Yes, I actually believe that.

Alex Dean

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Um, the live tiles are windows into the apps themselves.

Yes, I actually believe that.

That's why they rebranded the company logo into squares, is it not?

I agree with you; they just need some kind of marketing strategy that changes people's conception of computing "Windows" from the old definition into the new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)