Great way to advertise Windows Phone 8

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
MS owns Skype, and when presumably in 8.1 there is full Skype integration (and maybe exclusive features?)
When so, advertise in the iOS and android Skype app with something like "for the best experience use Windows phone 8" and maybe some popup ad once every while about windows phone

I would like to hear your thought (in short; should Microsoft use Skype to advertise windows phone and if so how?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nope, there would be complaints galore. The better way is to provide more features in future OS updates than for other OSes like iOS and Droid.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, there would be complaints galore. The better way is to provide more features in future OS updates than for other OSes like iOS and Droid.
Well why cant they? if you do it subtle and not bam in your face everytime you start the app up.
More like a watermark/brand placement to get people aware of windows phone, half the people i know don't even know what windows phone is and al of them have either Android or iOS.

-edit
Basicly advertising without degrading the experience on iOS and android, but windows phone has *the best* experience [Again this only counts when they actually have made it better on windows phone, not the current state]

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you read what i wrote? i said when they have full skype integration and a better experience on wp8.1 [i hope atleast]...
Read before you post :straight:

I think it'll be awhile before Skype on WP8 gets anywhere close to Skype on iOS & Android, if it ever does. There are a couple reasons I feel this way:

1. The user base on WP8 is very low, so why waste time & resources on an app hardly anybody (relatively speaking) will be using?
  2. I am not a developer, so I don't know, but I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't something inherent in WP8 that keeps things like this from working as well as they do in iOS & Android. Push notifications are unreliable, and live tiles don't work half the time (almost all the time in my case). Maybe Microsoft needs to look deeper inside the OS.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That is the cheap way of doing stuff to force push your own ads onto others. Google does it on it's Google page which I personally hate.

People will get to know windows phone through proper advertising , the method you put forward will only cause more users to complain about Microsoft for putting ads in skype.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Did you read what i wrote? i said when they have full skype integration and a better experience on wp8.1 [i hope atleast]...
Read before you post :straight:

The update this morning shows it's getting there. If it's a good experience for you, then enjoy it. Don't let people who are doing nothing but finding fault with wp lately get you down.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it'll be awhile before Skype on WP8 gets anywhere close to Skype on iOS & Android, if it ever does. There are a couple reasons I feel this way:

1. The user base on WP8 is very low, so why waste time & resources on an app hardly anybody (relatively speaking) will be using?
  2. I am not a developer, so I don't know, but I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't something inherent in WP8 that keeps things like this from working as well as they do in iOS & Android. Push notifications are unreliable, and live tiles don't work half the time (almost all the time in my case). Maybe Microsoft needs to look deeper inside the OS.

I think now we have upgraded from very low to low :D . It is posts/comments like these which will start a whole new series of posts whamming each other.

They don't need look deeper , they just need to fix the background agents and push notifications which are one of the many issues in the OS right now. Microsoft has been responding to user issues, they are working on them albeit at a slower pace than we expect.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

1: Well its your own platform, so I guess that's worth the effort for MS

2: That's because they don't put alot of resources in developing + its usually ported from iOS or droid

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos