Smart Watch

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
So with the Samsung Galaxy Gear smart watch being launched I thought it would be an interesting discussion point to find out if the WP8 community would be interested in a smartwatch from MSFT/Nokia and if so what features would you like to see?

For me I think it could be useful and I below is what I would like to see:

• Clock face with 4 x user defined notification icons similar to the lock screen on WP8, i.e. SMS, email, voicemail, twitter, facebook, missed calls
  • Weather page to show current conditions and 3 day forecast based on current location
  • Music player controls (Play/Pause, FWD, RWD) with artist image, similar to the WP8 lock screen when playing music
  • Silent Alarm set by and linked to the alarm on WP8
  • Fitness utilities like Pedometer and sleeping paterns and ability to activate GPS tracking on the handset linked back to WP8 apps like Endomondo

In terms of hardware I would like:

• 1.25" PureBlack AMOLED touch screen with 338 x 338 resolution and sensitive touch (basically it would be the same size a medium tile on the Lumia 920)
  • Bluetooth 4.0 with NFC Pairing
  • Waterproof
  • Simple swipe left and right to flick through the different pages/apps
  • Double tap on the screen to return to home/clock and auto return to the home/clock after 60 seconds of inactivity
  • Wireless charging, with a minimum 2-3 day battery life
  • Vibration motor for notifications and alarms.
  • Compatability with WP8 and Win8 Tablets
  • Max of $249.00AU price tag

Last edited:

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I would be really interested. I'm actually thinking about giving up my 928 for the note 3 and the watch. That watch is sharp just would like to know if it will drown if it comes in contact with water.

Now Microsoft and Nokia are always a day late and a dollar short on releasing things. So I'm not going to wait long this time.

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
There doesnt have to be 5 things it can do. To me the primary function of a smartwatch would be the same as any watch which is to tell the time, however if I am going to spend $100 - $500 on a decent watch which has a simple clock face, why would I not spend the same money and get one that can link to my handset and act as a second screen and or remote for my device for the things I do every day. If it can link to my handset that would be an added benefit and I would hope that it is able to reduce the dependance I have on my phone and avoid me from having to pull it out of my pocket all the time for simple taks like checking to see if I have an unread SMS, Email or facebook notification.

However if I had to list 5 they would be the ones that I mentioned in the initial post which are notifications, fitness tracking, silent alarms, weather and music controls. By music controls I imagine that I would have my phone paired to my JBL Playup speaker and be able to skip, pause and play my music via the watch.

Also for the record I do not want the ability to customise and download 70k apps to my watch and activate voice controls and so on, to me there is no benefit in this.

hackan

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I've actually pledged for the Omate TrueSmart on Kickstarter. Both to have a smart watch for my phone (Lumia 820), and to have an Android device again. I'm not sure how it will work with Windows Phone 8, but I'll try developing apps for it if it can't do what I want it to. Unfortunately it doesn't have wireless charging and NFC, but some other features on the list.

Sorry didn't mention MSFT/Nokia. If it was created by MSFT/Nokia I would prefer if it didn't work like the Samsung, which is only compatible with the most recent Samsung Galaxy devices.

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
my seiko divers are looking soo much better on my wrist. they don't have nfc, they don't vibrate either, but they are watch and show me the time. that's all i need. bit oldschool, i know. :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm kinda excited for the "wearable" revolution we are about to enter. I watched the Sammy Galaxy Gear livestream yesterday but ended up being very disapointed. $300 seems way too much for a device with a battery life of maybe a day. Also didn't like having a camera built into the strap. Not needed.

I also can't seem to come up with a reason I would need a "smartwatch." I understand people seem to drop a lot of cash for watches and they even consider them "accessories/jewelry." Maybe that's a West coast/East coast thing? I totally might be in the minority here.. just giving my opinion. :)

Now, I'm on board with the fitness bracelet stuff. Having something that measures your physical activity is cool and I'm pretty jacked for the Amiigo if it lives up to what it says it can do.... I just don't know about smartwatches.

p.s. 1000th WPCentral post. Yay me! :)

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I think the best market for the smartwatch is the phablet user or bro that carries a bag with them all the time with a tablet in it that is LTE connected. You can see the notifications or compete simple tasks with out getting the behemoth devices out. Surface watch. I would consider it.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I want a big 'ole wrist contraption like Leela on Futurama. Give give a nice big curved screen. That can be my entire smartphone. It can have a little ear piece that pops out that I stick in my ear to make calls.

Yeah! Make that happen!

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I want a big 'ole wrist contraption like Leela on Futurama. Give give a nice big curved screen. That can be my entire smartphone. It can have a little ear piece that pops out that I stick in my ear to make calls.

Yeah! Make that happen!

Now that's something I think could really take off and it's what I had hoped to see from Samsung with their flexible displays. We've seen it many movies, most recently I saw it in "Elysium" and I think it could be a really cool concept to wear the display and go back to using Bluetooth earpieces?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Now that's something I think could really take off and it's what I had hoped to see from Samsung with their flexible displays. We've seen it many movies, most recently I saw it in "Elysium" and I think it could be a really cool concept to wear the display and go back to using Bluetooth earpieces?

Only problem I could see would be durability and maybe weight. I still want one.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
My ONE request would be builtin GPS and the ability to switch datums. Mapping would be nice, but as long as I could switch datums, I can deal with it.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This does bring up a question in my mind. How do these companion devices affect battery life of the parent smart phone? I see they are connecting via BT or NFC. I have my BT on all the time, but how does the communication between the two devices use more juice? If I already have BT on all the time, will I notice a difference? Or is this an issue of the more communications between paired devices means more power consumption?

kevynpm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Check out the AGENT smartwatch on Kickstarter. It is .NET powered and will work very well with Windows Phone. I have one coming in December to hold me over until a Surface watch springs forth into existence.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Check out the AGENT smartwatch on Kickstarter. It is .NET powered and will work very well with Windows Phone. I have one coming in December to hold me over until a Surface watch springs forth into existence.
Bought one too. I like the fact that it's battery will last for a week, and you could use it with every platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss