Restoring Data after Hard Reset - Tip

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This popped up in another thread yesterday and I don't know if it's something that is previously known, but it's useful info.

After a hard reset, when you set up your phone again, you get the option to restore your data through your Microsoft account.
If you enter your details the phone will attempt to restore but only over cellular data (you haven't at this point set up WiFi of course).

If you have a bad (or no) connection this will obviously fail or if you are on a small data plan this is something you also want to avoid of course.

The other option is to Skip this. However, once your phone has restarted and you enter your MS account in emails+accounts, you aren't given the option to restore anything.

But wait, rewind.

At the point of set up when you are given the Log in or Skip options, there is a third smaller option underneath, like a hyperlink, that says "do this later" or somesuch. Clearly this isn't the same as Skip because if you select it, and then later go to add your MS account when you're all WiFi'd up, you get a sync and restore and all is back to normal.

Worked for me.

:wink:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Good to know, thanks. Has anyone noticed that with GDR2 it seems more stuff is restored than before? I just went from a 920 to a 1020 and when I did the restore it actually put my lock screen wallpaper to what my 920 was as well as my signature in my work exchange account. I could have sworn I had to manually do those previously with a restore. I can only assume it's GDR2 or I have a terrible memory. If it is GDR2 anyone notice any other subtle backup/restore improvements like that?

ali sarfraz1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
This popped up in another thread yesterday and I don't know if it's something that is previously known, but it's useful info.

After a hard reset, when you set up your phone again, you get the option to restore your data through your Microsoft account.
If you enter your details the phone will attempt to restore but only over cellular data (you haven't at this point set up WiFi of course).

If you have a bad (or no) connection this will obviously fail or if you are on a small data plan this is something you also want to avoid of course.

The other option is to Skip this. However, once your phone has restarted and you enter your MS account in emails+accounts, you aren't given the option to restore anything.

But wait, rewind.

At the point of set up when you are given the Log in or Skip options, there is a third smaller option underneath, like a hyperlink, that says "do this later" or somesuch. Clearly this isn't the same as Skip because if you select it, and then later go to add your MS account when you're all WiFi'd up, you get a sync and restore and all is back to normal.

Worked for me.

:wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon