Which Nokia phone?

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if you could all recommend the best Nokia at the moment.

I've had WP7 and WP8 (a little while back) but I was never a fan of the top end ones (900 and 920's when I was using WP). I've since moved to Android and have a Nexus 4, nice phone and all that, however I'm thinking of coming back to WP and I wondered what people recommended. I've seen the 1020 but I don't really care much about camera's, is there a model down which is cheaper, going to receive updates for the next 18 months and is still a good handset?

It has to be Nokia though!

Thanks,

Nic

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Good choice, but I'm just not sure on the Lumia 925, it sounds funny but I don't like the way the camera sits slightly above the back of the not, not flat to it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Walk into a phone shop and take a good look and feel of the demo phones, it's the only way that you'll know which one suits you.

They all do pretty much the same thing, but some are more equal than others in different ways.

All WP8 devices will receive all future OS updates until the end of time (or until support ends for WP8/9, whichever is sooner).

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Good choice, but I'm just not sure on the Lumia 925, it sounds funny but I don't like the way the camera sits slightly above the back of the not, not flat to it.

In that case the best looking device would be the NL720 (I find the 920 better in looks but that's just me)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're concerned about RAM at all you need to pick a flagship device or the 820. Otherwise any phone WP will do after that. Just get the one the suits you best. I've heard the 720 has some issues with hardware. If RAM isn't a concern then take a look at the 625, it's available at Expansys unlocked. :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think LaRUE brings up a good point. If you can afford it, get one with 1G ram and more than 8Gb of storage space. I know that the "other" storage issue is mainly fixed, but people are still struggling sometimes with lack of ram/storage space.

You've mentioned the 920, so I assume you're working in that ballpark. Nokia certainly have enough handsets now to cater for most choices.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting back into photography (since getting my T-Mobile Nokia 521), so I drool over the 1020. That said, my phone budget didn't really support buying a 925 or 1020, and I don't want a 2 yr contract with ATT, so I got the 521. I went to buy a low-end Android, but the cameras on those were really crappy, and then I saw and fell in love with the 521. I have had it about a month now, and am very happy with it (even its camera, which I've posted pics from the 521 forum). If you are not into photography and don't play a lot of games on your phone, which I don't, I don't see the higher end Nokias adding much for you. As I say, I am not a gamer, but I am running about 70 apps with no problems in the 512MB memory. As with cubic inches, more RAM is almost always better down the road, which the higher ends do offer. I do have an 8G SD card for photo and music storage though. That said, I think you should go to a phone store and try the various models out to see which ones work best for you.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
If I were starting to evaluate NOKIA WP8 phones, I would research to see what the best carrier is in my local area. Then I would go into that carrier store and play with the NOKIA's available and make a decision based on that criteria. Any Nokia will make you happy because by definition, it's a NOKIA.

I live in the Phoenix area and my two carriers of choice would be AT&T and Verizon. I chose Verizon and the 928 because I do travel to other parts of the country and Verizon offers service where ever I go.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If I were starting to evaluate NOKIA WP8 phones, I would research to see what the best carrier is in my local area. Then I would go into that carrier store and play with the NOKIA's available and make a decision based on that criteria. Any Nokia will make you happy because by definition, it's a NOKIA.

I live in the Phoenix area and my two carriers of choice would be AT&T and Verizon. I chose Verizon and the 928 because I do travel to other parts of the country and Verizon offers service where ever I go.

Not everyone wants contracts with carriers. Personally I don't. But yes finding the store that has the best variety is a smart choice. That said here in the UK there's a couple of generic mobile phone stores you go to that typically carry a good selection that you can play with.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
what did you not like about the 920 or WP8 in general, to have you move to Android?...its possible the same issues you had prior still exist.

i own a 920, i dont think a 928 is that much of a difference...and the only other choice in my books is 1020...since you ruled out the 925.

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Firstly thanks for all the comments. They are all greatly appreciated.

Chezm - I left WP for a number of reason, originally I had a Lumia 800 (loved it) then got the 820 but whilst it was a great phone it just kept breaking on me. I thought the quality of it compared to the 800 lacked, so that coupled with a lack of apps and Microsoft not making things any better drove me to the Nexus 4.

The reason I want to come back is that firstly I like WP and also I run a Microsoft home, we have an Xbox, Xbox music pass, Windows 8 laptop, I plan on getting a Windows tablet in the near future as well. The apps I use are now available (banking etc) with the exception of BBC news. So to me it seems to make sense to tie it all back up together.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Andy Gripper's BBC New app is back (well sort of) in the shape of Paperboy. It's not perfect, and needs some fiddling to get it looking the same way as the old BBC news app worked.

Personally, I've moved over to Bing News which is a whole lot better.

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I beginning to think it's going to come down to either 1) The 620, I know it's only got 512 MB of RAM but it's cheap, looks nice and I don't think it has any major issues regarding the RAM. Or 2) the 925, I'm not a massive fan of how the camera doesn't sit flat to the phone but it's a safe bet.

Thanks for the tip on Bing News.

NorthantsPete

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If you're picky about the phone and overthinking it then yes go into a shop and feel some.

Otherwise just get a 820, its got 99% of the high end stuff but at a mid to low price, plus it beats the crap out of any of the cheap androids which are slow clunky and rubbish cameras.

I came from the android world, and while it can be more flexible at times, it was always clunky and lacked polish. Even high end android phones arent as slick as low end windows phones after a few months of use (Slowwwdoowwwn)

As a recent review said, why wouldnt you get a Lumia when choosing a windows phone

NorthantsPete

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
p.s.

620 on order for the missus, its camera is better than the 820 but its lightern than an iphone 4s. At ?12.50 a month, you cannot complain when nothing android or apple comes close to the quality vs budget - it wins many awards for being the best budget phone right now so consider it also. Sonys are probably the nearest 'polished' feel when it comes to an android but im impressed with the quality of the nokia being in android land for years

NicUK

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
One last thing, does anyone know of any reason why phones running only 512MB of RAM would not get any future updates such as 8.1? Are the differences in RAM limited to multi-tasking etc, not to the OS itself?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire