Windows Phone's future. It could be the same as Blackberry

andrew120

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was pleased to hear Microsoft purchased Nokia's mobile device part.
It's something they should had done at least one year ago, in 2012. Windows Phone was released in 2010.
You can see many articles on internet from 2011 talking about a possible acquisition. Sadly, it took them 2 or 3 years to do this.

The 3rd player, Blackberry failed.It could had proven a good moment for Microsoft to get market share but it didn't happen.
Microsoft failed in many aspects: slow and poor updates, slow marketing. Microsoft in US is still like 5% of the market.
I wonder, has Microsoft learned anything from Blackberry story?
Android and iOS have the lion shares of the market.
Is Microsoft going to wait for one of them to die or do his job right and actually start seriously competing?

Microsoft has the Nokia gem now.
I am so afraid they will messed it up. How does the Finnish mentality cope with the behemoth Microsoft one?
It will be interesting to see who's going to be the next Microsoft CEO.

I can't wait to see exactly in one year from now, how things will stand.
In September 2014, I will take a look back to my post.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
At first I cried but then the more I thought about it the more I realize that if I like my Lumia 920 now imagine the next phones with real money being poured in to it look at the new Xbox one see what real money does!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
RIM was in trouble when they didn't adapt to consumerized smartphones. Google and apple built devices that people wanted to carry for work and personal use, and eventually, they started to seriously eat into BlackBerry's market.

Microsoft sat around with windows mobile too and lost serious position to android and ios, but they have much more going for them than rim. They have a lot more money behind them with all of their other divisions.

Apple seems to have lost their way as even diehards are bemoaning ios7 and the warmed over new iPhone designs.

Microsoft could very well drive Nokia into the ground, or they could be the best thing to ever happen to them. A unified microkia stands to potentially build the best windows phones we've ever seen.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well historically you could argue that android's future could be the same as blackberry - or apple for that matter.

Blackberry dominated - didn't adapt quick enough - died
Apple dominated - grew stale - on decline
Android - came from nowhere - currently dominating
Windows - always been the little guy in the background - never dominated but never disappeared.

Now speaking futureifically (yes I made that word up) who's next for androids crown? - a few years ago it was HTC but they made some miss-steps allowing Samsung to take the lead and have never properly recovered - If Samsung break away with Tizen what happens to android? Are the nexus devices enough to keep hold of that 76% marketshare?

Now theres another player.
Samsung with Tizen and a large share of loyalists
Apple with a share of loyalists but a stagnating platform
Android loyalists stuck with the Nexus devices and a small share of OEMs
Windows - the little guy at the back with a group of loyalists - feeding of the scraps and getting bigger.

Always watch out for the little guy...

Insight into a possible future? Or complete BS and 10 minutes of my life wasted.

Either way - nobody knows what's going to happen

andrew120

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Samsung with Tizen and a large share of loyalists

My feeling is something like Tizen will prevail in the future.
Microsoft sucks at marketing and different other things but they have the pool of software knowledge to create a new software technology.
I think future will look much more different that it is today.
It's definitely going to be another big change in the market.
I hope someone at Microsoft considers something like HTML5. Currently web development does not the right tools. Microsoft can change this.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Tizen is more like a concept now but its architecture is from the future.
As mobile CPUs get more and more powerful, it will need someone like Steve Jobs to create a device optimized for running HTML5.

Steve Jobs didnt "create" functionality. He marketed it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My feeling is something like Tizen will prevail in the future.
Microsoft sucks at marketing and different other things but they have the pool of software knowledge to create a new software technology.
I think future will look much more different that it is today.
It's definitely going to be another big change in the market.
I hope someone at Microsoft considers something like HTML5. Currently web development does not the right tools. Microsoft can change this.

MS has been putting a focus on HTML5.

HTML5+Javascript can be used to create apps and games for the Windows store.

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think WP (or just Windows) will prevail. Now Intel will make chips that can run everything on every device. Basically we could have full blown Windows on every device imaginable. It is not there yet, but we are moving in the right direction.

Android could in fact be the "symbian/BB" of the future because it is not at all coherent and folks would want that at some point. Apple could go back to their corner for those who just have to have it because it is -well - Apple..

Time will tell, but I don't think windows on phones is going away anytime soon. :D

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think WP (or just Windows) will prevail. Now Intel will make chips that can run everything on every device. Basically we could have full blown Windows on every device imaginable. It is not there yet, but we are moving in the right direction.

Android could in fact be the "symbian/BB" of the future because it is not at all coherent and folks would want that at some point. Apple could go back to their corner for those who just have to have it because it is -well - Apple..

Time will tell, but I don't think windows on phones is going away anytime soon. :D

Intel processors just aren't as power efficient as ARM processors to use in smartphones, there's only one Intel based smartphone and it failed so I don't think we'll see "full blown" Windows on smartphones at all.

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Blackberry died because it failed to modernize. WP is far ahead of Blackberry and is catching up to Android and iOS extremely fast (if the GDR3 and 8.1 leaks are anything to go by). Don't worry about it.

andrew120

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry died because it failed to modernize. WP is far ahead of Blackberry and is catching up to Android and iOS extremely fast (if the GDR3 and 8.1 leaks are anything to go by). Don't worry about it.

That's what I am afraid about. Catching up is not going to be enough.
Microsoft has not been able to catch up for a long time now.

If WP is catching up, it's with what we (consumers) know.
But both iOs and Android are already working on the next version.
If MS wants WP to be important, it needs to innovate not catch up

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Why would it go BB way? If WP gets all common features then it will have great future, fragmented android OS will doe eventually.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ye gads. Another one? People around here need to get blogs they can post on, so that there aren't 50,000 threads with the same old premises and discussion. How many more times can we read armchair analysis of the smartphone market, Microsoft's position therein, and what the armchair analyst thinks they need to do in order to survive?

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
That's what I am afraid about. Catching up is not going to be enough.
Microsoft has not been able to catch up for a long time now.

If WP is catching up, it's with what we (consumers) know.
But both iOs and Android are already working on the next version.
If MS wants WP to be important, it needs to innovate not catch up
Catching up is enough. The market share growth supports this idea.