Amber Update - First Impressions

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
First impressions are that there seems to be a definate improvement with speed and sensitivity, everything seems a lot smoother in transition when flicking between screens and apps.

The Glance feature... I can see this effecting my battery life quite a bit. Every time I take the phone out of my pocket it activates the Glance screen!!! So that leads me to think that when it's in my pocket, movement will probably been turning it ON all the time as it obviously detects movement through the camera. Also, when the phone is on charge, the Glance screen stays ON all the time until you unplug the charger?? Surely that could eventually effect the screen... BURN IN??

Apart from that I haven't seen any big negatives, what you guys think so far?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Turn off the glance and peek and you should be good.
Also double tap to wake, I'm happy pressing a button rather than tapping my screen "twice"!! to wake it up, but thats just me who hasn't received the Amber yet!

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Turn off the glance and peek and you should be good.
Also double tap to wake, I'm happy pressing a button rather than tapping my screen "twice"!! to wake it up, but thats just me who hasn't received the Amber yet!

Yeah! I'm in the habit of pressing the button too... Quite like the Glance feature, but that's my only gripe with it...

Akkari

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
My experience: my phone is fine with battery consumption all day long. Even I use it intensive it still has about 20-30% at 10pm. I have all activated excluded Bluetooth. My battery live has been greatly improved since gddr2

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Every time I take the phone out of my pocket it activates the Glance screen!!! So that leads me to think that when it's in my pocket, movement will probably been turning it ON all the time as it obviously detects movement through the camera. Also, when the phone is on charge, the Glance screen stays ON all the time until you unplug the charger?? Surely that could eventually effect the screen... BURN IN??

Don't worry, when your phone's in your pocket the proximity sensor is covered so the glance screen shouldn't come on. You can test it out by covering the proximity sensor with your finger and seeing what it does.

As for the screen being constantly on when on the charger...I thought that too, though I guess Nokia must've considered that when they designed it that way. I did notice though in one of those videos of Bittersweet Shimmer there was an additional option to turn the glance off when charging.

RetroMan71

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry, when your phone's in your pocket the proximity sensor is covered so the glance screen shouldn't come on. You can test it out by covering the proximity sensor with your finger and seeing what it does.

As for the screen being constantly on when on the charger...I thought that too, though I guess Nokia must've considered that when they designed it that way. I did notice though in one of those videos of Bittersweet Shimmer there was an additional option to turn the glance off when charging.

Mmm! Can't find any option to turn it off myself... Though you're right with the proximity sensor, I think it detects a light change, so when something bypasses the sensor it detects it. I guess if it's in the pocket where you assume it is dark, it won't be able to detect anything, so when you pull the phone out it detects a change in light and comes on... just a thought!

fazil6

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
im having an option called "interval" in glance settings after i updated it last week. how does it work. ( i think its just as Timed).. and another option to turn on/off " Clock and Notification". but when i off it it doesn't even show the time.. i tried it on as well. it shows the time and the battery (only while charging as it was earlier before i updated it .) im confused now.. :/

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Interval alternates being on for 15 min and off for 15 min.

If you turn off clock and notifications then naturally you will not see the time since you just turned it off. Right now it does not support showing notifications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs