09-24-2013 03:40 PM
57 123
tools
    Does it mean that WP doesn't support real multitasking ?
    In reality, you can only focus on one window at a time on a desktop. What difference would it make if a file explorer window, or a Word document was frozen in the background while you were not using it? Yep, absolutely zilch. On a phone, it's even more so, because you don't even see the other apps open in the background. Letting every app run however it wants in the background – especially for a system where such technicalities are not as easily accessible (I can't quickly pull up a running processes list) – is a recipe for disaster.

You state you're here to find out more about the limitations, so why focus on buzzwords? You learn nothing by chasing those. Multitasking isn't a yes/no check box. You can easily see this from considering the basics, like background audio, downloads, uploads and periodic updates (predominantly used to update tiles, but can also preload articles and such for an app). Yes, all of those are available on Windows Phone, yet "real" multitasking was not involved. That phrase is a gross oversimplication and isn't the only solution.

why ?
    What did you hope to get in response to that question? I don't see the point in expressing an unqualified opinion, then posing it in a question as if it were fact. Taking the question in context with your previous ones only suggests you completely glossed over responses pointing out that restrictions can be intentional and have their benefits.
    cuwe likes this.
    09-15-2013 09:06 PM
    Also , why Microsoft didn't give their best for WP8 ? They should have been good in digital world .
    wut?
    09-15-2013 09:14 PM
    ? Ok care to give instructions?
    It really isn't that hard to figure out, do you have a windows phone?

settings / lock screen / go to "choose an app to sow detailed status" click on the drop down menu and select messaging.
    09-15-2013 09:16 PM
    the coolest things are made exploiting the hardware powerful as much as possible, which means accessing directly to the file system, hooking OS events, accessing the device sensors, redefining buttons behavior, keeping code running unlimited in background...
    Remind me where the innovation on the desktop is, then. And the major successes of mobile have been simplistic games that take advantage of nothing but touch, and services such as Instagram, which takes advantage of nothing but your camera. Truth be told, I see little innovation on Android that shouldn't have been included by Google or its OEMs in the first place when they shipped a particular software or hardware capability. Like customising those neat RGB notification LEDs, for example.

Those are things that should be left only to pro developers (because amateurs will only abuse of them and create crappy apps which drains your battery or destroy your OS),
    There's no line between "pro" and "amateur" developer you can realistically draw. Ties into what I said above, these should ideally be implemented by the OS vendor or manufacturers.

What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?
    One thing I haven't looked into that much, but has intrigued me nonetheless, is TextExpander touch for iOS.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-15-2013 09:18 PM
    In reality, you can only focus on one window at a time on a desktop. What difference would it make if a file explorer window, or a Word document was frozen in the background while you were not using it? Yep, absolutely zilch. On a phone, it's even more so, because you don't even see the other apps open in the background. Letting every app run however it wants in the background especially for a system where such technicalities are not as easily accessible (I can't quickly pull up a running processes list) is a recipe for disaster.

You state you're here to find out more about the limitations, so why focus on buzzwords? You learn nothing by chasing those. Multitasking isn't a yes/no check box. You can easily see this from considering the basics, like background audio, downloads, uploads and periodic updates (predominantly used to update tiles, but can also preload articles and such for an app). Yes, all of those are available on Windows Phone, yet "real" multitasking was not involved. That phrase is a gross oversimplication and isn't the only solution.

What did you hope to get in response to that question? I don't see the point in expressing an unqualified opinion, then posing it in a question as if it were fact. Taking the question in context with your previous ones only suggests you completely glossed over responses pointing out that restrictions can be intentional and have their benefits.
    I'm a newbie . Just got my Lumia 620 a few weeks ago . My friend said that WP8 have a numerous limitation than Android and iOS .
    AngryNil likes this.
    09-15-2013 09:47 PM
    I'm a newbie . Just got my Lumia 620 a few weeks ago . My friend said that WP8 have a numerous limitation than Android and iOS .
    There are limitations to all phone OS's, yyou have to decide which one fits your usage needs and go with it. I had an iPhone for 3 years before going to WP 3 years ago and I'll never go back, WP is the best OS for me, and personally, the best and most original phone OS ever developed.
    09-15-2013 10:00 PM
    Remind me where the innovation on the desktop is, then. And the major successes of mobile have been simplistic games that take advantage of nothing but touch, and services such as Instagram, which takes advantage of nothing but your camera. Truth be told, I see little innovation on Android that shouldn't have been included by Google or its OEMs in the first place when they shipped a particular software or hardware capability. Like customising those neat RGB notification LEDs, for example...

Tasker for android is a good example of apps making alot more out of the hardware , and with motoX , iPhone 5s with dedicated hardware for sensors this might can be even more useful

The many different launchers, keyboards etc for android shows the more open platform can make sense and if google or vendors should make everything by themselves it will take a lot of time and money to do so - if they even had the idea...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    09-16-2013 01:48 AM
    They really need to loosen the grip on the lock screen restrictions. I'd pay a large amount of money to not have my phone light up with SMS toasts on the lock screen. Displaying who the message from, first bit of the message and lighting up ugh.
    You can do that

settings / lock screen / go to "choose an app to sow detailed status" click on the drop down menu and select messaging.
    I've highlighted the part that you didn't read.

There's no way to prevent toast notifications of SMS messages.

Well apart from placing your phone face down or otherwise obscuring the screen.
    09-16-2013 03:23 AM

yup I have multiple... I don't think you fully read what I said or understand what "toast" notifications means.

When you get a txt your phone lights up and the top of the screen has a blue bar with the persons name and first part of the message.

I'm not talking about the lock screen setting that shows missed txt and the number.
    09-16-2013 06:40 AM
    ? Ok care to give instructions?
    My bad, I'm so used to Whatsapp that I get the two mixed up.
    09-16-2013 09:47 AM
    I suspect you are focusing only on technical limitations. I would include limitations of all kinds that are enforced by the OS or its manufacturer.
    Yes, actually I was... you're right that apple's policy are more strict (and crappy) than the microsoft one.
    What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?
    This is easy. Just look at whatsapp... they cannot allow you to send a stored video or song because of API restrictions.
    In iOS you can create a decent media player (for instance, one that adds subs to your videos), impossible on WP.
    Also, in iOS you can also create an app that, in background, keeps track of your gps position and perform small computation of that; in WP you can't.
    etc etc
    mpt15 likes this.
    09-16-2013 04:36 PM
    Yes, actually I was... you're right that apple's policy are more strict (and crappy) than the microsoft one.

This is easy. Just look at whatsapp... they cannot allow you to send a stored video or song because of API restrictions.
    In iOS you can create a decent media player (for instance, one that adds subs to your videos), impossible on WP.
    Also, in iOS you can also create an app that, in background, keeps track of your gps position and perform small computation of that; in WP you can't.
    etc etc
    So buy an iPhone if that's important to you.
    09-17-2013 08:19 AM
    etc etc
    im not exactly sure what you mean, but in WP, there are apps that track your gps position in the background and you can do other stuff on the phone simultaneously. I use Runtastic and it runs in the background perfectly well, tracks gps without the internet on. You can use other apps at the same time.
    09-17-2013 08:25 AM
    im not exactly sure what you mean, but in WP, there are apps that track your gps position in the background and you can do other stuff on the phone simultaneously. I use Runtastic and it runs in the background perfectly well, tracks gps without the internet on. You can use other apps at the same time.
    You are right... I didn't notice that with wp 8 they added the API to execute location-based application in background (anyway, the documentation about this is pretty recent).
    The other stuff I mentioned are still not developable on WP.

So buy an iPhone if that's important to you.
    If you read the conversation, I was correcting an user who said that the iOS platform is more strict (regarding apps development) than WP.
    Is it possible to point out something wrong on Windows Phone here (=wpcentral), without a fanboy who tells you to go away?
    OsamaAdam98 likes this.
    09-17-2013 09:34 AM
    You are right... I didn't notice that with wp 8 they added the API to execute location-based application in background (anyway, the documentation about this is pretty recent).
    The other stuff I mentioned are still not developable on WP.

If you read the conversation, I was correcting an user who said that the iOS platform is more strict (regarding apps development) than WP.
    Is it possible to point out something wrong on Windows Phone here (=wpcentral), without a fanboy who tells you to go away?
    I've even used Runtastic on WP 7.8 in the same manner. Maybe its the way apps are coded.

Please dont get me wrong, I didn't tell you to go away. Good discussion is always welcome, IMO. There may be others who are over defensive, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Im not judging anyone.
    09-17-2013 09:53 AM
    Yes . And why are the live tiles are updated every 30 minutes ?
    Here's a pretty in-depth explanation of the Background Agents and how they work. Does this answer your question?
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...dont-need.html
    09-17-2013 09:57 AM
    Please dont get me wrong, I didn't tell you to go away. Good discussion is always welcome, IMO. There may be others who are over defensive, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Im not judging anyone.
    I wasn't referring to you... I was replying to mjrtoo's response :)
    Sorry for the misunderstanding!
    09-17-2013 01:44 PM
    I wasn't referring to you... I was replying to mjrtoo's response :)
    Sorry for the misunderstanding!
    I didn't tell you to go away either, I just said of those factors are important to you, then buy an iPhone. But, as others have shown, WP8 has opened up the API just a bit more. My intention wasn't to be snide, but I was agreeing that perhaps WP doesn't do what you want, and another does, why would you stay?
    09-17-2013 01:52 PM
    I didn't tell you to go away either, I just said of those factors are important to you, then buy an iPhone. But, as others have shown, WP8 has opened up the API just a bit more. My intention wasn't to be snide, but I was agreeing that perhaps WP doesn't do what you want, and another does, why would you stay?
    Because (to me) those features are not the key for choosing an operating system maybe?
    I prefer WP to iOS, and just because I prefer WP I'm so angry that it has this limited programming interface.

And since Microsoft is not opening the API randomly, but it's doing that because users (like me) are complaining, let me (and other users) complain.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    09-17-2013 02:19 PM
    I know what ya mean. Some people get overly defensive with the choice they pick and defend everything the companies does or doesn't do. I prefer WP over the other OS's BUT there is definitely some missing things that are very basic and missing which may be a none issue for some but big to others... Without criticism you have a company who thinks everything is perfect and doesn't improve on things. Microsoft especially over the last bit has been listening to consumers so I think it's a positive to point out the flaws.
    09-17-2013 05:49 PM
    I know what ya mean. Some people get overly defensive with the choice they pick and defend everything the companies does or doesn't do. I prefer WP over the other OS's BUT there is definitely some missing things that are very basic and missing which may be a none issue for some but big to others... Without criticism you have a company who thinks everything is perfect and doesn't improve on things. Microsoft especially over the last bit has been listening to consumers so I think it's a positive to point out the flaws.
    very well said. There are always room for improvements
    Villain likes this.
    09-17-2013 06:46 PM
    No, you weren't correcting anyone. You only acknowledged that in regard to judging a platforms restrictions, you prefer to limit your view only to that of the API, rather than to adopt a broader view of the whole ecosystem and all its policies. You are no more right or wrong. You are just choosing to talk only about a subset of what actually exists.
    09-18-2013 10:31 AM
    No, you weren't correcting anyone. You only acknowledged that in regard to judging a platforms restrictions, you prefer to limit your view only to that of the API, rather than to adopt a broader view of the whole ecosystem and all its policies. You are no more right or wrong. You are just choosing to talk only about a subset of what actually exists.
    Ok, you want me to be more precise?
    I was replying to the question "What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?", so the further answer "So buy an iPhone if that's important to you." was totally inappropriate.

Anyway, to me, considering the more WP API restrictions and the more iOS Policy restrictions, I would say you have more freedom developing for iOS.
    And if I hurt your feelings saying so... I don't care.
    09-18-2013 10:43 AM
    I want to find some information . Not to see some arguments . Guys , we're WP8 users . Be cool . I'm also a Windows Phone 8 user ⌒.⌒
    09-18-2013 12:05 PM
    I was replying to the question "What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?", so the further answer "So buy an iPhone if that's important to you." was totally inappropriate.
    Based on what you quoted I think you are confusing things. The second quote wasn't even from me and not part of the issue I was challenging you on.

Apple reserves the right to arbitrarily revoke any app they disapprove of. They have used that right to shut down competition and restrict fair access to consumers that happen to use Apple's products. That is basically small scale fascism. If you never intend to compete in any current or future market Apple operates in, then that might not bother you, but to my mind that is a far bigger threat to consumer's freedoms than the occasional API not working the way you think it should.

That was my point. You are free to disagree of course, ultimately it's a judgement call, but it has nothing to do with hurt feelings. Calm down.
    09-18-2013 12:07 PM
57 123