Can somebody tell me what are Windows Phone 8 OS and hardware limitations ?

anon(7935575)

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Well little we can do about this. I've come to WP from android and yes lack of features is depressing but overall im satisfied with the stability and performance. Although yes some things id like to be added.

-Real Multitasking.
-Orientation Lock(maybe in gdr3)
- A little more freedom to devs so that we can have more apps and less crap ones. Even uc browser crashes every 2 minutes. Limits have to be thought upon again.

- Some live tiles to be added like time (htc has it)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
They really need to loosen the grip on the lock screen restrictions. I'd pay a large amount of money to not have my phone light up with SMS toasts on the lock screen. Displaying who the message from, first bit of the message and lighting up ugh.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
They really need to loosen the grip on the lock screen restrictions. I'd pay a large amount of money to not have my phone light up with SMS toasts on the lock screen. Displaying who the message from, first bit of the message and lighting up ugh.
You can do that

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an example of something you can develop on WP but it's not developable on iOS ?

I suspect you are focusing only on technical limitations. I would include limitations of all kinds that are enforced by the OS or its manufacturer.

For example, Apple has the right to revoke your app if they think it competes with any of their own services. Amazon's mp3 music store is one example. Apple refused to publish Amazon's app that enabled in-app purchases from Amazon's music library. If you were an iPhone user and wanted to purchase music from Amazon, you were limited to doing so through the web browser. As a result, Amazon started reworking their mobile web site to improve that web based experience. Apple has since changed their policies. Instead of outright banning such apps, Apple is now willing to publish them in their app store if you hand over 30% of your profits (last I heard), which isn't a real option for anyone. It's just a nicer way of saying "screw you", that is less likely to get them into trouble in a court of law.

In contrast, Microsoft's ToS expressly grants developers the right to sell anything they want from within an app, as long as it isn't illegal or morally objectionable. How much your app/service competes with their own isn't an issue, nor whether you are Amazon, Apple or Joe Schmoe.

Other examples exist.

What would you say is possible on iOS that can't be achieved on WP?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Does it mean that WP doesn't support real multitasking ?
In reality, you can only focus on one window at a time on a desktop. What difference would it make if a file explorer window, or a Word document was frozen in the background while you were not using it? Yep, absolutely zilch. On a phone, it's even more so, because you don't even see the other apps open in the background. Letting every app run however it wants in the background – especially for a system where such technicalities are not as easily accessible (I can't quickly pull up a running processes list) – is a recipe for disaster.

You state you're here to find out more about the limitations, so why focus on buzzwords? You learn nothing by chasing those. Multitasking isn't a yes/no check box. You can easily see this from considering the basics, like background audio, downloads, uploads and periodic updates (predominantly used to update tiles, but can also preload articles and such for an app). Yes, all of those are available on Windows Phone, yet "real" multitasking was not involved. That phrase is a gross oversimplication and isn't the only solution.

What did you hope to get in response to that question? I don't see the point in expressing an unqualified opinion, then posing it in a question as if it were fact. Taking the question in context with your previous ones only suggests you completely glossed over responses pointing out that restrictions can be intentional and have their benefits.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
the coolest things are made exploiting the hardware powerful as much as possible, which means accessing directly to the file system, hooking OS events, accessing the device sensors, redefining buttons behavior, keeping code running unlimited in background...
Remind me where the innovation on the desktop is, then. And the major successes of mobile have been simplistic games that take advantage of nothing but touch, and services such as Instagram, which takes advantage of nothing but your camera. Truth be told, I see little innovation on Android that shouldn't have been included by Google or its OEMs in the first place when they shipped a particular software or hardware capability. Like customising those neat RGB notification LEDs, for example.

Those are things that should be left only to pro developers (because amateurs will only abuse of them and create crappy apps which drains your battery or destroy your OS),
There's no line between "pro" and "amateur" developer you can realistically draw. Ties into what I said above, these should ideally be implemented by the OS vendor or manufacturers.

One thing I haven't looked into that much, but has intrigued me nonetheless, is TextExpander touch for iOS.

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
In reality, you can only focus on one window at a time on a desktop. What difference would it make if a file explorer window, or a Word document was frozen in the background while you were not using it? Yep, absolutely zilch. On a phone, it's even more so, because you don't even see the other apps open in the background. Letting every app run however it wants in the background ? especially for a system where such technicalities are not as easily accessible (I can't quickly pull up a running processes list) ? is a recipe for disaster.

You state you're here to find out more about the limitations, so why focus on buzzwords? You learn nothing by chasing those. Multitasking isn't a yes/no check box. You can easily see this from considering the basics, like background audio, downloads, uploads and periodic updates (predominantly used to update tiles, but can also preload articles and such for an app). Yes, all of those are available on Windows Phone, yet "real" multitasking was not involved. That phrase is a gross oversimplication and isn't the only solution.

What did you hope to get in response to that question? I don't see the point in expressing an unqualified opinion, then posing it in a question as if it were fact. Taking the question in context with your previous ones only suggests you completely glossed over responses pointing out that restrictions can be intentional and have their benefits.
I'm a newbie . Just got my Lumia 620 a few weeks ago . My friend said that WP8 have a numerous limitation than Android and iOS .

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie . Just got my Lumia 620 a few weeks ago . My friend said that WP8 have a numerous limitation than Android and iOS .

There are limitations to all phone OS's, yyou have to decide which one fits your usage needs and go with it. I had an iPhone for 3 years before going to WP 3 years ago and I'll never go back, WP is the best OS for me, and personally, the best and most original phone OS ever developed.

Anglerdk

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Remind me where the innovation on the desktop is, then. And the major successes of mobile have been simplistic games that take advantage of nothing but touch, and services such as Instagram, which takes advantage of nothing but your camera. Truth be told, I see little innovation on Android that shouldn't have been included by Google or its OEMs in the first place when they shipped a particular software or hardware capability. Like customising those neat RGB notification LEDs, for example...

Tasker for android is a good example of apps making alot more out of the hardware , and with motoX , iPhone 5s with dedicated hardware for sensors this might can be even more useful

The many different launchers, keyboards etc for android shows the more open platform can make sense and if google or vendors should make everything by themselves it will take a lot of time and money to do so - if they even had the idea...

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You can do that

It really isn't that hard to figure out, do you have a windows phone?

settings / lock screen / go to "choose an app to sow detailed status" click on the drop down menu and select messaging.

I've highlighted the part that you didn't read.

There's no way to prevent toast notifications of SMS messages.

Well apart from placing your phone face down or otherwise obscuring the screen.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It really isn't that hard to figure out, do you have a windows phone?

settings / lock screen / go to "choose an app to sow detailed status" click on the drop down menu and select messaging.
yup I have multiple... I don't think you fully read what I said or understand what "toast" notifications means.

When you get a txt your phone lights up and the top of the screen has a blue bar with the persons name and first part of the message.

I'm not talking about the lock screen setting that shows missed txt and the number.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I suspect you are focusing only on technical limitations. I would include limitations of all kinds that are enforced by the OS or its manufacturer.
Yes, actually I was... you're right that apple's policy are more strict (and crappy) than the microsoft one.
This is easy. Just look at whatsapp... they cannot allow you to send a stored video or song because of API restrictions.
In iOS you can create a decent media player (for instance, one that adds subs to your videos), impossible on WP.
Also, in iOS you can also create an app that, in background, keeps track of your gps position and perform small computation of that; in WP you can't.
etc etc

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, actually I was... you're right that apple's policy are more strict (and crappy) than the microsoft one.

This is easy. Just look at whatsapp... they cannot allow you to send a stored video or song because of API restrictions.
In iOS you can create a decent media player (for instance, one that adds subs to your videos), impossible on WP.
Also, in iOS you can also create an app that, in background, keeps track of your gps position and perform small computation of that; in WP you can't.
etc etc

So buy an iPhone if that's important to you.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
etc etc

im not exactly sure what you mean, but in WP, there are apps that track your gps position in the background and you can do other stuff on the phone simultaneously. I use Runtastic and it runs in the background perfectly well, tracks gps without the internet on. You can use other apps at the same time.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
im not exactly sure what you mean, but in WP, there are apps that track your gps position in the background and you can do other stuff on the phone simultaneously. I use Runtastic and it runs in the background perfectly well, tracks gps without the internet on. You can use other apps at the same time.
You are right... I didn't notice that with wp 8 they added the API to execute location-based application in background (anyway, the documentation about this is pretty recent).
The other stuff I mentioned are still not developable on WP.

So buy an iPhone if that's important to you.
If you read the conversation, I was correcting an user who said that the iOS platform is more strict (regarding apps development) than WP.
Is it possible to point out something wrong on Windows Phone here (=wpcentral), without a ****** who tells you to go away?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
You are right... I didn't notice that with wp 8 they added the API to execute location-based application in background (anyway, the documentation about this is pretty recent).
The other stuff I mentioned are still not developable on WP.

If you read the conversation, I was correcting an user who said that the iOS platform is more strict (regarding apps development) than WP.
Is it possible to point out something wrong on Windows Phone here (=wpcentral), without a ****** who tells you to go away?

I've even used Runtastic on WP 7.8 in the same manner. Maybe its the way apps are coded.

Please dont get me wrong, I didn't tell you to go away. Good discussion is always welcome, IMO. There may be others who are over defensive, but everyone is entitled to an opinion. Im not judging anyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss