Umm why would they kill the 'Surface Phone'?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something (which is highly probable, I'm an *****) but I don't see why the Nokia deal kills whatever smartphone project MS may have been working on. I ask because Quite a few of the articles I've read have laid MS's smartphone in a grave right next to Nokia's Android project and I don't see why.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Why wouldn't they continue development? If they kill the project, what happens to WP8? Will Apophas hit us? How are babies made?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm missing something (which is highly probable, I'm an *****) but I don't see why the Nokia deal kills whatever smartphone project MS may have been working on. I ask because Quite a few of the articles I've read have laid MS's smartphone in a grave right next to Nokia's Android project and I don't see why.

Anyone care to enlighten me? Why wouldn't they continue development? If they kill the project, what happens to WP8? Will Apophas hit us? How are babies made?

it's probably because they got Nokia now. So I'm pretty sure it'll continue on. But it'll be a special handset separated from the MS lumia's

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I think the news refers to a project that they had internally. Its that project that probably helped pave the way for the acquisition of Nokia.

I would expect to see a surface phone in the next year or so.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A Microsoft Windows phone is now coming :) that is for sure, not sure if it will be called a Surface Phone or not :)

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phones should have been called Surface Phones from the start. Ballmer's delusional belief that the "Windows" name in the consumer market after years and years of security problems, viruses, blue screens of death, etc. was a good thing was mind boggling. The fool actually believed that people other than PC gamers and IT managers bought Windows because they liked it. No, they bought it because they didn't know a mouse from a modem, didn't know Ubuntu existed, much less how to install and administer Linux, and the cheapest computers at Walmart and Best Buy came with Windows pre-installed. They bought it because it was their only viable economic choice. The "Windows" brand does not carry positive connotations in the consumer market. Enterprise is all about Microsoft products, where the "Windows" name belongs. Microsoft seriously needs to brand ALL their consumer products ANYTHING but "Windows." "Xbox Phone" or "Xphone" would have been better than "Windows Phone Iteration X." This is coming from a satisfied owner of a Lumia 822.

Last edited:

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It's blatantly obvious Ballmer became what he used to ridicule about IBM: a dinosaur content in old paradigms of thinking and being clueless about the present and the future. He loved to tell the story of how he and Gates pulled the wool over IBM's managment, and stole the keys to the kingdom.This is the man who actually laughed at the iPhone in 2007, completely missing that a paradigm shift was about to happen. A blind, retarded ape could see that everything was about to change. Google saw it. The original Android phone was a Blackberry clone. As soon as Eric Schmidt, who sat on Apple's board, saw the iPhone prototypes, that project ended immediately, and the Android touch UI project started. It took 3 years, which is an eternity in tech years, for Microsoft to release a competitor to the iPhone and Android. They only did it then because Apple was making obscene amounts of money off iPhone sales. iPhone sales account for more than all of Microsoft's products combined.

Then Ballmer releases the Surface RT after Apple sells a gabillion iPads, with it's crippled Home and Student version of Office and the inability to join domains, which effectively killed it as an office tool. And they priced it $500, when they should have sold it at $350 with the keyboard included, with real Office installed. He wanted to upsell businessed to the $800-1000 "Pro" model. They could have cut sold tons of Surface RT's to enterprise, universities, and schools, but no, they priced it the same as the iPad, and crippled it. Do I need to mention the breakdancing and clickity-clack commercials?

The man believed it was still 2003, when Microsoft could still nickel and dime customers to death because they was no alternative. He actually believes the name "Windows" carries positive connotations to people who are not PC gamers or IT managers. In short, the man was handed two "can't fail" monopolies, and believed that everyone would take when he handed them. He's had a rude awakening the last 3 years. I won't bring up the Zune, or the Kin.

And yes, this is Ballmer's fault. He had the last word. He was, and still is, the CEO. Still living in the past, and the future has slapped him in the face.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's blatantly obvious Ballmer became what he used to ridicule about IBM: a dinosaur content in old paradigms of thinking and being clueless about the present and the future. He loved to tell the story of how he and Gates pulled the wool over IBM's managment, and stole the keys to the kingdom.This is the man who actually laughed at the iPhone in 2007, completely missing that a paradigm shift was about to happen. A blind, retarded ape could see that everything was about to change. Google saw it. The original Android phone was a Blackberry clone. As soon as Eric Schmidt, who sat on Apple's board, saw the iPhone prototypes, that project ended immediately, and the Android touch UI project started. It took 3 years, which is an eternity in tech years, for Microsoft to release a competitor to the iPhone and Android. They only did it then because Apple was making obscene amounts of money off iPhone sales. iPhone sales account for more than all of Microsoft's products combined.

Then Ballmer releases the Surface RT after Apple sells a gabillion iPads, with it's crippled Home and Student version of Office and the inability to join domains, which effectively killed it as an office tool. And they priced it $500, when they should have sold it at $350 with the keyboard included, with real Office installed. He wanted to upsell businessed to the $800-1000 "Pro" model. They could have cut sold tons of Surface RT's to enterprise, universities, and schools, but no, they priced it the same as the iPad, and crippled it. Do I need to mention the breakdancing and clickity-clack commercials?

The man believed it was still 2003, when Microsoft could still nickel and dime customers to death because they was no alternative. He actually believes the name "Windows" carries positive connotations to people who are not PC gamers or IT managers. In short, the man was handed two "can't fail" monopolies, and believed that everyone would take when he handed them. He's had a rude awakening the last 3 years. I won't bring up the Zune, or the Kin.

And yes, this is Ballmer's fault. He had the last word. He was, and still is, the CEO. Still living in the past, and the future has slapped him in the face.

I take it Ballmer isn't on your Christmas card list.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Lol, no. Don't get me wrong, I want Microsoft to succeed. Competition is good for the consumer. I'm just amazed that he stayed on a long as he did with failure after failure in the consumer market. He wasn't fired because the Windows and Office divisions still make truckloads of money. And probably because he's Gates' buddy.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I think he wasn't fired because he did a good job. He made mistakes, there is no denying that. But if hes responsible for vista, then hes responsible for the xbox 360 and windows phone.

He did a good job. Not the best, certainly not the worst.

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
IMO, I think MS would have struggled to bring out a Surface Phone against what Nokia has brought out in the Lumia range. Quite possibly, this is the reason why a Surface Phone was postponed or not brough to light.
That being said, now that Nokia is in the MS fold, I think we can start looking at the possibility of a Surface Phone being developed (n terms of Nokia style and quality).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786