The last two-three weeks basicly none of my app-Live Tiles update correctly, the only ones updating like they should are sms, mail, and calls.
    The WPCentral tile has always been reliable and fast, now its just as bad as facebook, its like a freakin lottery.
    6tag also used to be reliable, it doesnt update until i enter the app.
    Not even Counters update anymore, seriously the only thing it does is count down days to an event and it cant even handle that.

Yes I have turned off backgroundtasks for all these apps and reenable it, it doesnt help.

I have been on WP since the first WP7 release and I have always felt that the longer it goes after a reset/OS upgrade the worse it gets, but it has never been this bad. Usually these issues get better after updates but its gone downhill pretty fast since I got GDR2.
    Right now I dont trust any of my live tiles, this system is so broken its a disgrace to call it a notification-system and its embarrassing that MS still havent fixed it.

Anyone else experience this now more than usual?

I guess the only way to fix this is a reset?
    09-18-2013 04:50 AM
    Do you have a good signal, either on cellular or wifi? Sounds like your phone isn't connecting very well to either one. Which I'm not blaming the phone, but rather the provider, whether it's your cellular provider or a weak wifi signal.
    09-18-2013 07:01 AM
    Its no connectionproblem, I live in a big city and Im basicly on wifi all days long, otherwise I have full 3G or 4G.
    09-18-2013 07:10 AM
    My live tiles stopped working at one point as well (a few weeks back). After trying to remove random apps with no success (and more than a week later with live tiles not updating) I found a post that suggested I delete my Internet Explorer history. After doing that and a reboot my live tiles started working properly again. So damn strange, give it a go...
    09-18-2013 07:27 AM
    On a thread a little while back, someone identified AppSocial as affecting live tiles. Stopped using as was suggested and my dead tiles came back to life and have shown no problems since then.
    Last edited by Jason Drum; 09-18-2013 at 10:00 AM.
    09-18-2013 08:41 AM
    Have a look at the following post as it may help:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post2097371
    09-18-2013 10:27 AM
    Have a look at the following post as it may help:
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...ml#post2097371
    You likely have too many apps with live tiles/background tasks running. You want to try and keep the total number of apps to about 15 or less (Your mileage may vary). Some apps have stuff using a background agent even if you don't see it in the background tasks list so you need to do a few things to manage this:

1. Block any apps in the background tasks list you don't want using them of course.
    2. Uninstall any apps that you really don't use (1 or more of these could be using a slot)
    3. Open all your apps one by one and check their settings to see if they have any options for live tiles, background agents, etc. Disable them here if you don't want them to use these features. Take note of how many apps you have with tiles, agents, etc running and keep the total at or under 15ish. Note some games have these as well so check them also.

If you do all this and get the number of apps down to a respectable level, the tiles and notifications and such should all start working great again. Hopefully MS is beefing up this background agent system so it's a little more stable and requires less work on the part of the user to manage, but time will tell.

To keep things managed, any time you install a new app, make sure to check its settings and disable any live tiles and/or background agents if you don't want those used and same for app updates. This way you don't get more of these enabled over time without you realizing it.
    nizzon likes this.
    09-18-2013 11:48 AM
    Last few weeks none of my live tiles has updated, they usually update when I exit the apps. And I have background tasks activated for 7 apps!! Totally clogged down system, unacceptable. It works now that I uninstalled about 7 apps that I don't use.

Just a question, is Android and iOS like this?
    10-31-2013 05:00 AM
    Last few weeks none of my live tiles has updated, they usually update when I exit the apps. And I have background tasks activated for 7 apps!! Totally clogged down system, unacceptable. It works now that I uninstalled about 7 apps that I don't use.

iOS does not have anything equivalent. Android has widgets, which IMHO are superior since the widget not only shows information, but can be interacted with. e.g. I have a calendar widget that is on one homescreen. I can scroll directly to see my next few days' appointments and tap on one to bring up the Calendar app with that event open. I have not faced problems with widgets updating on Android, ever.

However, not every app has a widget. That is one deficiency. Those that do, work great.
    10-31-2013 07:00 AM

Did you actually open each of your apps and check for live tile/background task settings and shut them off there for each one you don't want active? Just managing the list in settings alone may not be enough. You can have stuff running in the background that isn't listed in that list unfortunately. MS does need to work on this problem so the user doesn't have to manage active apps outside of that single list, but for now that's the only reliable way to make sure you don't have too many things running that break the function.

As for your iOS/Android question, iOS doesn't have anything live tiles and Android as mentioned has widgets, but they are separately installed "apps" basically and are only available by a limited number of developers and such. Not built into their respective apps like WP.
    10-31-2013 12:21 PM
    The last two-three weeks basicly none of my app-Live Tiles update correctly, the only ones updating like they should are sms, mail, and calls.
    The WPCentral tile has always been reliable and fast, now its just as bad as facebook, its like a freakin lottery.
    6tag also used to be reliable, it doesnt update until i enter the app.
    Not even Counters update anymore, seriously the only thing it does is count down days to an event and it cant even handle that.

Yes I have turned off backgroundtasks for all these apps and reenable it, it doesnt help.

I have been on WP since the first WP7 release and I have always felt that the longer it goes after a reset/OS upgrade the worse it gets, but it has never been this bad. Usually these issues get better after updates but its gone downhill pretty fast since I got GDR2.
    Right now I dont trust any of my live tiles, this system is so broken its a disgrace to call it a notification-system and its embarrassing that MS still havent fixed it.

Anyone else experience this now more than usual?

I guess the only way to fix this is a reset?
    yes I am having and experiencing all th issues you mentioned...including with the countdown timer. I uninstalled a lot of apps, went into the others and turned off live tile and turned off and on live tiles on the 8 apps I want them on. None of them work. Like you, they update once I open them.
    10-31-2013 12:36 PM
    Ms had had 2+ years to improve the background task mechanism and its still a mess. To have a design that silently stops tasks running, after a certain number are enabled (and were permitted to be enabled without error) is quite sad, and that is just one problem of many, with usually apps getting the blame. Much of the success and interest in Windows Phone is due to live tiles, and by extension in most cases to background tasks. So why they have not prioritized this I don't know.
    ag1986 and nizzon like this.
    10-31-2013 12:47 PM
    yes I am having and experiencing all th issues you mentioned...including with the countdown timer. I uninstalled a lot of apps, went into the others and turned off live tile and turned off and on live tiles on the 8 apps I want them on. None of them work. Like you, they update once I open them.
    I had the same problem after updating with GDR3. It turns out it reset my WIFI setting. So make sure your Setting/WIFI/Advanced has "Keep WI-FI on" and "Automatically connect to WI-FI" checked.
    nizzon likes this.
    10-31-2013 03:48 PM
    Im only managing the background tasks through the list in settings, going through all apps settings would be a real pain in the ***. :(

My question about Android and IOS was... do any of those platforms have similar problems or limitations? I think this is a HUGE problem and needs to be fixed asap.
    Sabre Wulf likes this.
    11-02-2013 03:34 AM
    I really facing the same problem with internet explorer live title I push it and it goes bach to menu I have tried soft reset re-pining all the apps deleting the aps that I dont use turn it of and on again removing the battery and turn it on but nothing worked it really get on in nerves do you know another solutions?
    06-10-2014 10:10 AM