Windows Phone Blue Gestures Idea

mjperez100

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
hey guys,

so this kind of occurred to me on the drive to work as i was thinking of the future of windows phone blue and was wondering what you guys think.

press left arrow + swipe right = bring up notification screen
press windows button + swipe up = multitasking view
press search button + swipe left = bring up cortana or whatever personal assistant we end up getting

along with these, we can possibly also get 2 or more customizable gestures which for me would be:

windows button + swipe left = quick settings menu which would include wifi, bluetooth, driving mode, etc.
windows button + swipe right = people hub

i think adding these gestures would be a pretty sweet idea; easy way to access important settings and notifications and its faster than long pressing the buttons to bring up tell me, search, and multitasking view.

Sayyid Shoaib

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I think they are neat gestures but in this day of tech we have so many patents on running Mobile OS's i think that take could put Microsoft in trouble with Blackberry because they have a very similar gesture scheme. Maybe i'm wrong but we need something more unique and innovative. It's sad how everything is being sued for copying just have a look at the Apple vs Samsung court battles. Ridiculous.

but good idea anyways wonder what Microsoft will do eventually for notifications!

mjperez100

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
lets just buy them out ;) im curious what else is there? there's swiping from the left on the actual screen but that could be problematic on apps and menus that have stuff on the left and right. swiping down is already in android and ios, swiping up can work but there can be lots of accidental windows logo button presses...we definitely need some bright minds on this!

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you can do any capacitive button swipe gestures. I think the API for the capactive button only understands tap and hold and maaybe multiple taps. But i doubt it recognizes swipes

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can do any capacitive button swipe gestures. I think the API for the capactive button only understands tap and hold and maaybe multiple taps. But i doubt it recognizes swipes

I think what they mean for that is that the buttons become an icon in the UI instead of a button on the phone like it is now.

Personally, I don't think they should add to many gestures. You end up running into the issue of closing things when trying to scroll down, or opening extra windows when trying to swipe over. The screens for phones are so small it'll make these mistakes more likely to happen. They use some neat ideas like the buttons on the tiles(which I'm surprised hasn't been done yet) and the extra menus with the sounds(I personally like the idea of the buttons being icons, it would allow for more screen space), but some of them would end up causing more problems than fixing.

Sayyid Shoaib

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
at the end of the day WP8 needs something thats going to be easy to use and remember. It needs to work in harmony with the current OS. Any gestures added need to translate to the everyday consumer who necessarily arents techno freaks. Its a challenge I hope Microsoft will have addressed by the time we see WP8.1 (fingers crossed WP8.1 will be a major update to really make other non WP8 users take notice and say yeah now thats a slick looking working OS)

Basically we need some big time wow factor (and I don't mean gimmicks like we have on other OS that are used to show off but are of of little real world usage).

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think what they mean for that is that the buttons become an icon in the UI instead of a button on the phone like it is now.

Personally, I don't think they should add to many gestures. You end up running into the issue of closing things when trying to scroll down, or opening extra windows when trying to swipe over. The screens for phones are so small it'll make these mistakes more likely to happen. They use some neat ideas like the buttons on the tiles(which I'm surprised hasn't been done yet) and the extra menus with the sounds(I personally like the idea of the buttons being icons, it would allow for more screen space), but some of them would end up causing more problems than fixing.

oh like android? Yea, I like that actually. I was hoping it would come in wp8, but it didnt, and so far it's not going to be in GDR3. I mean there's no reason to have capactive buttons. You can just make the screen a little bigger and add buttons that way. And you get extra screen real-estate when watching videos and stuff! Maybe Google has a patent on it? :/

Anyway, I also think too many gestures is not the answer. Why would you have a tap to search and a search+slide for cortana? Cortana should just be integrated with tell me. Notifications could be on the same screen as multitasking. But if we consider the leaks of 8.1, it seems like notifications will just be a tile with a stupid *(star) on the top to indicate notifications. Sounds incredibly ugly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05