So, am I entitled to a refund for missing apps?

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
My only issue with upgrading to WP8 are the missing apps, like Tentacles. Can I demand a refund for those?

What about delisted apps, like Pro Evolution Soccer?

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
No because you pay for a licence for the app, not a hard copy. It's kind of like Steam, you can buy games but ultimately they belong to Valve.

Also it will be buried in the T&Cs that an app can be removed at any time.

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
That's my one gripe. If an app is no longer developed and pulled, you lose it if you change handsets. If you purchased the app it should still be available to your account, like Swapchat or Carbon or any other number of apps.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I thought you could still download it from your purchase history.

Not if it's no longer in the Windows Phone Store.

If you get in touch with someone in billing via Live Chat on xbox.com, it's possible that you can get a refund. I've seen cases where people have been refunded for apps because they've not met a reasonable expectation of functionality.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This is one thing I'll give Android; you can simply back up apps with a backup app, or save the .apk, and install it later on any device you wish.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is one thing I'll give Android; you can simply back up apps with a backup app, or save the .apk, and install it later on any device you wish.

You will need root the phone before you can do backups on most of those Android backup apps. As for .apk installations, sure it is convenient if you can find the apk.Without rooting your phone, you can't get to those apks.

I have bought an Android game in the past, and it is no longer available to me because the app developer no longer updates it and it is not compatible with any phones running Android OS newer than Froyo. So, that's the same story as WP. If a dev no longer supports the app, you will loss access to the app one way or another.

makarand14

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
What if the XAP is downloaded and is in your PC HDD?
In a way, its manual backup of purchased apps?
Will it work even after app is removed from the store, cause I've heard that you need internet even to install .xap from SD Card.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
If you dev unlock your phone (now do able legitimately and for free) you can install a XAP you have backed up even if it is no longer on the store, but you can only do that for a small number of XAPs on your phone (limit of 4 I think it was) unless you pay up. Why you have to pay again (and quite a lot as it happens) to use software you have bought I don't know, but I assume it has something to do with MS executives wanting new cars.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What if the XAP is downloaded and is in your PC HDD?
In a way, its manual backup of purchased apps?
Will it work even after app is removed from the store, cause I've heard that you need internet even to install .xap from SD Card.

If you have a developer account you can sideload .xap files on your phone from your PC.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The sense of entitlement is staggering.

You are in no way, shape or form entitled to a refund for a service you have used and enjoyed.

If you buy a fan belt for your car, then get a new car, you are not entitled to a refund on the fan belt.

If you buy an xbox 360 controller then buy an xbox one, you are not entitled to a refund.

You are not entitled to a refund.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Why you have to pay again (and quite a lot as it happens) to use software you have bought I don't know, but I assume it has something to do with MS executives wanting new cars.

Not exactly true. The apps that are removed from store in most cases have to do with app developers who decided to fold the operations and cancel the dev account (you have to pay yearly fees to keep the dev account open in order for the apps to stay in the store and it used to be $100/year). To be honest, most devs pay out of their own pocket for the cost and rack in less than what they paid out. You can only be a communist for so long :)

lantern20

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site

You are in no way, shape or form entitled to a refund for a service you have used and enjoyed.

If you buy a fan belt for your car, then get a new car, you are not entitled to a refund on the fan belt.

If you buy an xbox 360 controller then buy an xbox one, you are not entitled to a refund.

I can still take the new fan belt off of the car and put an old one on if I can use that fan belt on the new car. The Xbox controller may not be compatible with the Xbox One, but it will still work with my Xbox 360 which it was purchased for & I can take the batteries out of it an re-use them. I can even sell them and recoup some of the money wasted on them.

While I don't feel entitled to a refund, I would like access to what I purchased. Unfortunately, even if you have the xap downloaded, you cannot re-install an app that was purchased since it verifies it against the WP store.

I don't think that is a staggering sense of entitlement, having access to what was purchased.

ithinkurdumb

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
If it's an XAP downloaded from the store, and the app is no longer available, I don't think you can sideload it. It was the case when WP7 came out, but a while ago MSFT encrypted the XAP and check for license when it's installed (please correct me if that's not the case).

If you paid for an app and it's pulled, you can contact MSFT support and very likely be awarded a full refund.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I can still take the new fan belt off of the car and put an old one on if I can use that fan belt on the new car. The Xbox controller may not be compatible with the Xbox One, but it will still work with my Xbox 360 which it was purchased for & I can take the batteries out of it an re-use them. I can even sell them and recoup some of the money wasted on them.

While I don't feel entitled to a refund, I would like access to what I purchased. Unfortunately, even if you have the xap downloaded, you cannot re-install an app that was purchased since it verifies it against the WP store.

I don't think that is a staggering sense of entitlement, having access to what was purchased.

but you can still use the wp7 phone it was purchased on.

If an app is removed from the store then that's a grey area. Maybe, you are, maybe you are not, depends on the app and why its not available.

Going from wp7 to wp8. No, no you are not.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Developer account still needed even for download from Store and sideload? I think not, cause non developer phones can do it too!

No, that's different. You need the developer account to sideload a .xap you downloaded from wherever, or a .xap you created.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Or, in fact, to install a XAP that you downloaded from the store but that has now been pulled. That's what we are discussing here. Also, this has nothing to do with going from WP7 to WP8. This problem will happen even if you use the same phone. Once it's gone from the store, MS ban everyone from installing it except developers. Your money is trousered and your app is lost. Doesn't matter if you bought it yesterday or years ago. Still, nice shiney cars in the MS executive car park...

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I think this analogy misses the mark. In those situations you are upgrading the device itself-like if I update MLB At Bat from 12-13 I can't get 12 again. Updating the phone is separate from the apps. If you purchase an app you have a reasonable expectation that you can use that app. The fact that my phone needs to be replaced, restored or replaced is irrelevant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo