Phone Storage is full. Other Storage 7GB??? GDR2 doing nothing?

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My phone storage is full, only 420mb free, cannot run some apps, phone is telling me that I have to remove some apps but my Other Storage is showing almost 7GB!!, thats almost 50% of the 16Gb in my HTC 8X, after a reboot there is no significant change:
music+videos 1.45Gb
pictures 842 Mb
apps 2.92 Gb
other 6.90 Gb
system 2.41 Gb
free 258 Mb
do I need to wait for GDR2 to do his job to reduce the other storage? I think is not working... or is better to do a hard reset? I cannot use the phone!

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Storage check, I think it is only available for Nokia devices.

GDR2 is suppose to fix the other storage issue. There are something that people have hypothesized on what is causing the other storage.

#1. It could be that each time you upload a photo to skydrive it has a second copy saved that isn't acessible to save.
#2. it could be that each time that you delete an app, part of the memory is still there.

WIth storage check on my 920, it gives me correct other storage. I am currently at 3gigs with Pre-GDR2.

kg93678

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 822 had around 9gb of other storage after the gdr2/amber update and would not clear it. After a hard reset the other has stayed around 450mb and seems stable. A hard reset may be the only way to clear the other storage from pre gdr2.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep, hard reset. Make sure you have your backups enabled (Settings > system > backup). Then reset the phone (Settings > about > reset your phone). If you want to get your tiles arranged the same way they are currently, maybe take a few screen shots before you do the reset.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay. There are a couple of things that can really inflate Other. Well, here's a quick checklist.
-Do you download a lot of apps?
-Do the apps you download have a considerable cache size?
-Can you use Storage Check to find out which apps they are? If so, can you uninstall them?
-Have you tried rebooting or soft resetting? (This clears out A LOT from other, especially if you use the People Hub)
-Have you tried clearing IE History?

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I just updated my Lumia 720 to Amber.

For doing so I had to remove a hog game like Asphalt Heat was. Ok, went flawless.

I had a Temporary Files at about 250 MB until then. Then today I decided to reinstall the game, as I have enough space (I though).

Nothing more wrong. The download stopped saying it was almost completely full. So I long-pressed and asked the Download to abort.

Now my Other Storage is a whopping 2.9 GB (aka Temporary Files in Lumia Storage Check is a whopping 1.2 GB alone)

Soft Reset, Shutting Down and Restart, or invoking Storage Check to clear? Nothing. 1.2 GB.

That's the aborted downloaded part of the game. Do you think that the OS will take care eventually of this aboundance of wasted space, or I am thinking of going my first Hard Reset?
It's a sad day..

Damn, GDR2/Amber didn't do anything for orphaned downloaded xap, men..

EDIT: After some hours (and maybe a Store background agent running, because I had some app update notifications), I loaded up AGAIN (for the 10th time, all previous ones w/o results) the Lumia Storage Check. The Temporary were 1.2 GB still, but I tried again the Clear option. BAM! 214 MB of Temporary. All the rest freed-up!
Nice, GDR2 has a background "flagger" agent looking for orphaned xap, then. If it's done by the Store background or not, I don't know, but it definitively has! :D

Last edited:

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My biggest complaint about wp8 is how poorly it handles storage, both internal and external. Why on earth haven't they done anything to fix this problem yet? All we get are half-hearted work arounds.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
That's why I keep my 610, which has more memory left (4GB) compared to this HTC (70MB) for the same applications.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, 'Storage Check' is not going to help the OP, please stop suggesting it - we're talking about the HTC 8X!

HTC has an equivelant app called 'Make More Space' which is an unfortunately named tool because all it can do is allow you to loosely schedule the removal of temporary files which usually only amount to a few MBs at best. It doesn't even report the 'Other' storage space which is a shocking omission.

The other thing MMS can do is show the size of installed apps which is useful but it doesn't give the full picture. The easiest example is Nokia Here Maps. MMS says it's only 20.21MB in size but that doesn't include any offline maps. I have over 800MB of offline maps and that's included as part of 'Other' (I believe Nokia shows map data separately in Storage Check, HTC doesn't).

Other things that can take up a lot of room unnoticed is the e-mail account 'Download email from' setting which can be configured from 'past 3 days' to 'any time' and bear in mind, this includes attachments. If there are several e-mail accounts setup, this data can quickly add up and won't ever be removed.

The standalone SkyDrive app plus the Office Hub are going to cache documents, downloads from websites and attachments, to allow them to be opened faster. Xbox music / video use a lot of thumbnails and other metadata. I haven't even mentioned all the other third-party apps and games. It all adds up.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
The same day I created this thread asking for help I applied the hard reset, having GDR2 on my HTC 8X didn’t made any change. This is the 1st hard reset since nov2012 when I purchased my phone.
I was guided through the system recovery wizard and completed the re-installation of all my apps and configurations in a couple of days, almost exactly the same as before. Today after 10 days running the same apps everything looks very well:

Music+Videos 11.96Mb (1.45Gb previously) (I still not loading my music)
Pictures 610.44Mb (842 MB)
Apps 1.87GB (2.92 GB previously)
Other 1.97GB (6.90GB previously)
System 2.41GB (NO CHANGE!)
Free Space 7.70GB (258MB previously)

Notice that running almost the same apps there is a difference of 1GB, probably after installing and uninstalling apps to try for hours or days during the first 9 months with my phone.

But it was a big change in the other storage and free space after the hard reset.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My biggest complaint about wp8 is how poorly it handles storage, both internal and external. Why on earth haven't they done anything to fix this problem yet? All we get are half-hearted work arounds.

They could definitely learn a lot from Apple. They push out updates for serious problems quick. WP, well the history speaks for itself.

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
They could definitely learn a lot from Apple. They push out updates for serious problems quick. WP, well the history speaks for itself.

Yes! This has been what has baffled me the most. They are trying to compete in the mobile market as late-comers, yet they are taking ages to fix really basic, embarrassing problems that the competition wouldn't have even had in the first place.

When Apple/Android users ask me how I like my Wp8 phone, I have to be honest with them.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes! This has been what has baffled me the most. They are trying to compete in the mobile market as late-comers, yet they are taking ages to fix really basic, embarrassing problems that the competition wouldn't have even had in the first place.

When Apple/Android users ask me how I like my Wp8 phone, I have to be honest with them.

Agreed, I don't sugarcoat it to friends or strangers either. Best be upfront, that way IF they still want to try it out...well at least they know what they're getting into.

I'm still amazed (in a bad way), at the lackadaisical attitude Microsoft has towards WP. When you absolutely KNOW that you're getting blown out of the water by the competition, you'd think you'd step it waaay up! Yeah live tiles are something new and different, but you have to have all the small things that the others have already. And then one up them, not play catch up at the speed of molasses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes