Second WP8 device with Microsoft account not working properly without SIM card

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible for a second WP8 device (Lumia 521 in this case, with Lumia 925 as my main device) to be fully functional without a SIM card? With my HTC Radar (WP7.5), I can do everything without a SIM card except make calls, of course. I can see updates in my People Hub, Twitter and Facebook app feeds update as they should, Office and SkyDrive work, I can update and download apps, I receive new e-mails and can send them as well. However, on the 521, I can't really update or do anything except use the browser and any apps that I think can rely solely on a Wi-Fi connection and apparently don't need access to my Microsoft account. I can't event receive updates from the Twitter and Facebook apps. I can only get the 521 to work properly when my SIM card is inserted. If I add any other e-mail account to the phone, the inbox seems to work fine. In fact, I used the same Hotmail account to create a second inbox that can update and send e-mails just fine.

I'm guessing my Radar works fine because it's not as restricted as WP8 devices with Microsoft accounts? It did use the old Windows Live ID system. If a Microsoft account is necessary, could I get away with using an alias from the same account? Is an activated SIM card necessary? I'd like my 521 to work independent of a SIM while still having access to the same content and contacts over Wi-Fi, but is that perhaps not possible?

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My 822 works fine without a sim. Make sure your date and time are correct, since it will not automatically update now.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Well, works fine now. Not sure what was going on, but I just had it sitting off for a couple days and now everything works. Oh well...

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have 2 928s and a 620, all with the same Microsoft Account and they work fine without Sims so long as you are in airplane mode (but can have WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth on). Just make sure the clock and date are both correct.

Asrialys

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 928s and a 620, all with the same Microsoft Account and they work fine without Sims so long as you are in airplane mode (but can have WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth on). Just make sure the clock and date are both correct.
Hm, I didn't have to turn on Airplane Mode, and my date and time are correct.

shmutt1980

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
i swap my sim from my android back to my windows phone a lot and I was having the same issue when the sim is not in my 521. I try nokia mix radio - get error "thats unexpected" something hasn't worked quite as it should. Try again and hopefully it should work. If it continues try re-starting the app or contact Nokia Care. I try to update/download an app, get error The Microsoft account service is unavailable right now. Try again later. Facebook app error - We're having trouble getting data. Of course I am connected to WiFi. My date and time are manually set correctly. So I just thought that this is just the way this phone runs, needs an active sim to work, frowned upon!! Then I read that everyone else wasn't having the issue, and they were okay. so I manually set the time and date again, made sure it was in airplane mode, Wifi connected, then the good ol fasioned microsoft restart - and BAM! all is well! Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb